New Pool Chips in Marcite

cobolstinks

Jan 4, 2023
Saint Augustine FL
Hello,

Brand new pool owners in NE FL. We just finished startup and have been trying to get our pool builders to look at our plaster. We have several spots in the marcite plaster that are chipped out. I can see 2-3 spots where the plaster is chipped out 1/4 inch deep and around the diameter of a quarter. Is this to be expected? I do not like being able to see chips or divots in the otherwise smooth pool plaster finish. Can the marcite be patched? We're trying to get the pool builder to look at it but they are saying there are no problems with the plaster.PXL_20230107_010050604.jpgScreenshot_20230210-145233.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The pic of the hole you posted came from the spikes the plasterers wear in their shoes to not make footprints in the wet plaster.

Your PB can fill those spike holes with some plaster. Tell him you want the spike holes filled.

The pic of the hole you posted came from the spikes the plasterers wear in their shoes to not make footprints in the wet plaster.

Your PB can fill those spike holes with some plaster. Tell him you want the spike holes filled.
I reached out to the pool builder they say there is nothing wrong with the plaster. My concern is that these chips are pretty big and it seems like a significant amount of plaster material removed. Don't want a weak spot in the plaster or a leak to form early. If the plaster is only 1/4inch thick and these chips are 1/4 inch deep seems like a problem.

Last edited:
I reached out to the pool builder they say there is nothing wrong with the plaster. My concern is that these chips are pretty big and it seems like a significant amount of plaster material removed. Don't want a weak spot in the plaster or a leak to form early. If the plaster is only 1/4inch thick and these chips are 1/4 inch deep seems like a problem.
That is not a problem and if you present it that way you will be told so.

So far the only pic posted showed a spike mark. That is cosmetic and should be filled by the builder or plasterer.

Say you want the cosmetic blemishes fixed.

Is the first picture of the floor or wall? What is the pipe in the picture?

Looks more like catfaces than spike holes, can't really tell. Doesn't look great though.

Plaster should be 3/8"-1/2" thick. I feel like filling the areas would be my preferred fix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.