Seminole Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
I have a smaller Taylor test kit i have been using to help with Ph and F/C and I have been taking samples weekly to Pinch a Penny for analysis. I was told they will always have you buying something so I am aware, however their tests have been consistent with my own as far as Ph and F/C are concerned. Unfortunately the Pebbletec installer told me I had to keep 12 months of water chemistry record printouts from a commercial store to avoid voiding the warranty. I prefer the Taylor kits so I will probably get the K-2006 recommended here.
The water is clear so far and we have been keeping the heat on around 84 deg. Salt is showing steady 3500-3600 readings both from the store and my Ichlor 30.
F/C is 7ppm and Ph is 7.6. CYA 40 hardness 270 and Alk 140
I have some fine tuning to do but as far as im concerned learning how to adjust for these is half the battle. I was considering grabbing a PH meter also.
I keep a supply of Chlorine, stabilizer, and Acid on hand for adjustments. Hopefully that will get me through this first year.
Any advice is appreciated I am absorbing as much as I can to get up to speed asap.

Hey Skiddy !! It looks like you have a great head start on having a grip on things. You’ll have to lower the PH with acid a few times and bring it back up with aeration to lower the TA. Each cycle should lower the TA by 10ish. It takes some time so no worries or rush. Also the CYA needs to get to 70 before the heavy UV load of the season. (Aim low and work your way up, it also takes time and requires a drain if you overshoot) Other than that it’s looking good !!

Last edited:
Reactions: Skiddy
Everything Newdude stated and you should consider the TF-100 test kit as it has all the same Taylor reagents but a larger volume (per bottle) and I like the CYA tube better than that provided in the Taylor 2006 kit. So economically it is a little better deal. Also, get the speed stirrer which you can get at a discount when you purchase the test kit. That is so helpful with FC, TA and CH testing. Good Luck and happy swimming.

Sounds like you're off to a good start and have a good grasp on how to take care of your pool.

On the pH meter, I have purchased two of them and they seem to require constant recalibration and aren't very accurate. I stopped using them for those reasons. I frankly would pay good money for one that worked well.

Sounds like you're off to a good start and have a good grasp on how to take care of your pool.

On the pH meter, I have purchased two of them and they seem to require constant recalibration and aren't very accurate. I stopped using them for those reasons. I frankly would pay good money for one that worked well.
I was a home brewer for many years and I used a Ph meter to dial in my sour beers. I have found that you are right they tend to be a little off from time to time. A good Ph meter should cost more than $15

I checked my water again today and noticed the Ph is climbing? Is this normal and Ill just be adjusting with acid all season or should I be more focused on other areas that could cause Ph to climb?

New plaster will cause the PH to rise in the first year, especially the first 6 months. Probably par for the course. (y)

pH rise is totally normal, although it’ll slow down over time. But pH will always rise, especially with a SWG, so just plan on having to add acid once or twice a week. I added borates to my pool over the winter, so I’m hoping that will slow down the pH rise.

Wow so glad I found this site, the knowledge sharing is great. I was thinking I was doing something wrong already.
I now have another issue, which I will post a more thorough question in the appropriate area but the contractors are working with my breaker box and I noticed my equipment is off and cant turn on. My led screens are blank on Pump and Heat pump as well as the SWG. Its been 2 days now so my water is gonna be a mess when they come out to fix it tomorrow
Anyone have a suggestion on the issue or a quick fix?

Stir bleach in with your pool brush. It doesn’t take much to be your own pump and you’ll keep the leg up on any algae growth. (y)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I keep at least a few gallons of bleach on hand just in case. I suggest you do the same for times like this. You can pour some around the perimeter of the pool and use a brush to mix it around, or in my case I put my robot in the pool.

I buy mine at Home Depot, under the brand HDC Chlorinating Liquid. It’s really just 10% bleach.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.