New Pool Build, Questions about Costs and Features and your design process

pajensen

Jul 22, 2020
California-Central Valley
Afternoon All,

I've had multiple pools in my life from an ownership and care perspective, and one that I've renovated with new tile and pebble, but we're building a new house and are looking at building a new pool immediately after we close on the property. What I've determined so far:
  1. long rectangle shape, probably 16 X 40,
  2. variable speed pump
  3. chlorine generator.
  4. Additional excavation to place an existing stead-alone spa and a fire pit/eating area probably about 2' below grade.
  5. 50-65K Budget
Questions I'd love to get feedback on:

1. What build feature did you want, but was more costly than you thought it would be?
2. The opposite, What was a feature or material that ended up being less expensive than you'd anticipated?
3. What was something you added to your build that in hindsight you wish you hadn't spent the money on?
4. What was something you are kicking yourself for, because you didn't add it to the build when you had the chance?
5. Any other lessons learned from the design process.

Thank You all in advance!

Hi! This thread might help some! You might want to bookmark it :cool:

I am still trying to narrow down what I want/need. Good luck :)

Reactions: spd500
I am very new to this and waiting to start construction on our new pool and spa any day now, but here are my two cents.

1. I am deeply saddened to see the cost of a quality swim jet, and will not be adding on to our build because it is so overpriced.
2. We were pleasantly surprised at how affordable it was to add extra decking, and lots of umbrella holders.
3. We are in the building process now, so I will get back to you on that one. I do wish we would have done the pool and the outdoor kitchen together, I would have laid out the kitchen differently. We built the kitchen 5 years ago and didn't plan on a pool at all at that time.

I look forward to following along with the answers of the more experienced members of the group and learning what not to do.

Hi! This thread might help some! You might want to bookmark it :cool:

I am still trying to narrow down what I want/need. Good luck :)
Thank You, This is very helpful.

I am very new to this and waiting to start construction on our new pool and spa any day now, but here are my two cents.

1. I am deeply saddened to see the cost of a quality swim jet, and will not be adding on to our build because it is so overpriced.
2. We were pleasantly surprised at how affordable it was to add extra decking, and lots of umbrella holders.
3. We are in the building process now, so I will get back to you on that one. I do wish we would have done the pool and the outdoor kitchen together, I would have laid out the kitchen differently. We built the kitchen 5 years ago and didn't plan on a pool at all at that time.

I look forward to following along with the answers of the more experienced members of the group and learning what not to do.
When we bought our spa I'd considered a swim-spa.... then I saw the pricing, Yikes!

Good News about the decking, we're going to try and make the back year as maintenance-free as possible, so I'd planned on having a lot of concrete poured.

My thoughts:
Try to stick to what the pool builder includes in the quote. Like if they quote a few different pool colors with one company, take a close look at those. Anything else will be more expensive. Same with tile. If they put the waterline and step toe tile in your bid, find out what companies they use and figure out something within their parameters.

Stick with what you really want in a pool. Why do you want it, is it for the kids? Entertainment? Exercise? What type? Then build the pool around what you want. If you don't swim laps, why put in a lap pool? If you have little kids, then you want some sort of a ledge for them to sit and play on. A shallow end. Do you have dogs, can your dogs get around the pool to patrol the fence line. What about set backs and easements. Survey?

Another thought is all your controls are stationed next to your breaker box / gas meter (depending on your set up). I'd think it'd be cheaper having a short distance from the pool to all that. (Not in our case. .. Of course!) And along those lines, a hose close to the pool.

Least expensive. The paper for the check for a deposit? !! Spray painting the pool layout on the lawn?
Four umbrella sheaths (dowels) and two will be placed for a volleyball net. (Multi change option)
Really, everything is expensive. We went for quality now and hopefully less repairs and problems down the road.
A pool is a home improvement project. It isn't taxed. Anything beyond a pool build is taxed, making the whole project taxed. So an automated pool cover (quoted $15K) is part of a pool build but repairing the torn up sod from the equipment is not. Your pool builder should mention that and keep within parameters.

Keep changing the design to make it what you want. Smaller= cheaper. Shallower = cheaper to maintain. As for us, we didn't have any water features. No spa. No lights. Just Plane Jane but did get a chiller and a heater, spent $6K extra on the Primera Stone Wet Edge finish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.