New pool build options help!

AggieTexan09

Jun 1, 2019
Houston
Howdy everyone! I just discovered this awesome site and will be reading through it like a textbook!

We're considering a 13x28 freeform 7500ish gallon fiberglass pool in Houston, Tx (vs a gunite pool) partially due to the lower maintenance cost, but my questions is how do I go about actually saving money there? All of the local pool maintenance companies (I plan on eventually doing all the chemicals/chemistry/cleaning myself if not sooner than later) charge the same flat rate regardless. Is the savings in doing it yourself?

We like the idea of a SWG for the purpose of having more gentle water (if that makes sense), I've been reading a bit about the pros and cons and I believe the pros out weight the cons for us. We also are considering a natural gas water heater (with maybe 200-300 hours of usage throughout the year). Natural gas is about 50cents a therm here and electricity is about .11cents/kwh avg (total) so pretty similar cost to run I think. We would be stretching our budget and I think natural gas heater is about half the upfront cost of an electric one (plus electricty rates down here have been steadily rising for the past 3ish years).

Anyways, what I'm asking is, is a Fiberglass pool + SWG + Water heater a fine combination?

The pool vendor/installer we're considering only uses Hayward equipment. From what I've read, many people don't like the Hayward SWG systems. Should I wait to do the SWG + Water heard afterwards with a different company and brand and have a mix of Hayward + other brands for SWG/Water heater? Or just go with all Hayward with the original vendor/installer? Perhaps that would be better for warranty/repair purposes?

What kind of options/upgrades would y'all recommend, specifically ones I can't easily add after the pool installation? I thought about in-floor cleaning system mainly for the purpose of improving the flow of water around the pool but was told to save my money by the vendor.

Does anyone have experience with those in-floor cleaning systems? (Viking pools - X-tream Klean)

Thanks!

Howdy Aggie, Welcome to TFP! (my brother's an Ag, class of '74)

I have a fiberglass pool with a SWG. Would never do it any other way! I would avoid in floor cleaners as they rarely work as you expect. Save the money and just get a good robot as not only do they clean better, the also brush your walls. You can't beat that for labor saving!

If you want to splurge I'd suggest an autocover. Especially if you have kidlets and trees.

A good test kit is worth its weight in gold for caring for your pool. You will save a ton on chemicals you *don't* buy because you have reproducible, accurate test results....and us... to guide you. I spend no more than $150 a YEAR on pool chemicals, test kit refills and odds and ends. My pool is a snap to take care of.

I've no complaint with Hayward... some folks like Pentair too. Others here can advise you better on this front than I. If you're in to automation you should have all your equipment be the same brand for ease of communication.

Holler back with any other questions. We're all happy to help you spend your cash.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: AggieTexan09
Howdy Aggie, Welcome to TFP! (my brother's an Ag, class of '74)

I have a fiberglass pool with a SWG. Would never do it any other way! I would avoid in floor cleaners as they rarely work as you expect. Save the money and just get a good robot as not only do they clean better, the also brush your walls. You can't beat that for labor saving!

If you want to splurge I'd suggest an autocover. Especially if you have kidlets and trees.

A good test kit is worth its weight in gold for caring for your pool. You will save a ton on chemicals you *don't* buy because you have reproducible, accurate test results....and us... to guide you. I spend no more than $150 a YEAR on pool chemicals, test kit refills and odds and ends. My pool is a snap to take care of.

I've no complaint with Hayward... some folks like Pentair too. Others here can advise you better on this front than I. If you're in to automation you should have all your equipment be the same brand for ease of communication.

Holler back with any other questions. We're all happy to help you spend your cash.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks for the information! I've got finding a good robot on my list of things for sure thanks! I ordered a test kit last night and am looking forward to testing! I'm curious to see what my Tap water hardness and PH are, last time I checked pH was 8 out of the hose. I don't think my tap water hardness is high though but I'll find out next week. Tap water hardness was extremely high at my old house, it was a pain keeping the deposits off of everything so I'm grateful that's not the case in our new home! ( I know we're specifically concerned about calcium hardness).

Depending on our budget, we may hold off on a water heater but for sure are looking into SWG and setting up for automation, I've been reading about ORP readers and acid dispensers. I'm fascinated with all things automation though not everything keeps working smoothly and some things require constant monitoring and double checking with manual measurements anyways.

Skip the pH automation. Too much recalibration needed. Testing is so easy yourself. You will likely get into a rhythm and find it enjoyable to maintain the chemistry. I’ve heard very few complaints about Hayward’s SWG’s. They are a good product. Any brand heater can work with an automation system. But the pump and SWG should be the same as the automation. And +1 on Maddie’s vote for a robot over IFCS.

Take ownership of your pool chemistry from the get go. There is zero need to have someone poorly maintain your pool until you feel up to it. Just learn it and start right.

Reactions: AggieTexan09
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.