New Pool build --- Northern California **4/12/21 start date**

+1. If a kid, or heaven forbid, a Mother in law possibly can bump themselves on something, they will and you will hear about it every time.

In the case of the Mother in law, you may never *stop* hearing it. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: JC707
I would round the corner on the step out for when (notice not if) someone is swimming along and bumps their head into it. I live that new set up!

Awesome! Which step out for the rounded corner, the one next to the deep end where people jump off the platform? Or the house side opposite end where bench use to be ?

Also do you think a small step out is needed at all on the deep end platform side? I was thinking so people don't have to swim across pool to get out after they jump off the small raised platform there. Not sure if needed tho hmmm

+1. If a kid, or heaven forbid, a Mother in law possibly can bump themselves on something, they will and you will hear about it every time.

In the case of the Mother in law, you may never *stop* hearing it. :ROFLMAO:

Oh this would definitely happen with the MIL! I think we'll remove the small step out near the left side platform. Let people swim across pool to get out to jump again lol. Saves me a little money too?! Lol

Reactions: Newdude
Last design I sketched out! Lol Bench would go out to 1 water sheer decent only.

I lose my whole side bench but still gives some ample seating and leaves the deep end on the raised platform area bench free for worry free jumping? Also leaves house side bench free in a large area for jumping there as well. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 16033946004178427720609417695286.jpg
    16033946004178427720609417695286.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Yah my wife was thinking just 2 small benches under the sheer decents but I was like why don't we connect them to the sun shelf...she finally approved lol. Gotta keep the boss happy? 😁

So now we have open areas for jumping off platform on deep end and also the house side and I can sit under 1 of the sheer descents at least.

Reactions: Newdude
Our deepest part of pool (7') is in the half circle area of the pool. We originally wanted a hang out/rest bench there but decided to do a step out on the house side wall instead and keep the half circle open to jump in the deepest part of pool.

We want to go back to a bench area inside the half circle...is that ok even tho the deepest part of pool is there?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201023-082336_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201023-082336_Gallery.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would say personal preference on that. We did a bench in the deep end with a small step up from the bench for exit and plan to train the dogs to know where it is if they get stuck out in the deep end. We have no kids at home, so jumping wasn't a concern for us, but there is still plenty of room to jump if you want to.

+1 on the personal preference and it just so happens to be my personal preference FWIW. I have zero need/want for benches anywhere shallow. We can half float and half kneel/sit all day there anyway. Having it where you can sit, yet still not ‘touch bottom’ is neat.

Thanks everyone. I think we will get rid of the step out on side and do the benches/small step out in the half circle. The jumping areas will mainly be from the raised platform area and house side I think, with no benches there just to be safe. The half circle can be for lounging in deep end and to step out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201023-084619_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201023-084619_Gallery.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Do sheer descents shoot water out pretty far into pool? Our bench will probably be 16 to 18" seating depth and we want to do at least 1 bench at 1 sheer descent to be able to sit under and water shoot out over you and into the pool.

Would the water do this or instead hit our head/body if we sit directly under it? Thank you.

Took a trip out to Ikea today for random house things and they had the outdoor lounge chairs for $19 bux ($30 online price). Wife was a little mad I came home with 5 of these bad boys.....and we aren't even in contract yet with a pool builder. Lol

Told her I am just staying ahead of the game and I did our future pool outline in blue painters tape in our backyard (even Baja shelf) so I wanted to see how many I can fit. Ikea is an hour drive away so figure I'll buy a few and call it a day.

These Ikea lounge chairs are AWESOME. I have 2 in my living room right now and the kids are using them to relax in. Our backyard is narrow so from pool to house wall is maybe 8 feet only. These measure 36 inches in length so will work for us to be able to relax and have people walk by to get around us. Retails for $30 but seems like an out of season discount for $19...I'll take it! 😁

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201025-152924_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201025-152924_Samsung Internet.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Haha
Reactions: kimkats
Wow these last 5 months blew by. We are coming up fast on our April start date and I am having a few concerns regarding our backyard and the soil.

We backup to a slope with slop running from fence downwards. I was able to get the city soil report for our development and it's like a foreign language but from what I gather its clay/sand mixture.

I reached out to a local soil engineering company to see if they could swing by and assess our lot. They said they can't help me and they recommend contacting the soil engineering company who originally worked this development, something about not liking to work areas where another soils engineering company previously worked.

My concern is, we had a large concrete patio poured 4 years ago basically spanning our entire backyard. I had a concrete guy come out to see if I can get a cheaper cement deal for the pool and ask some questions. He was very concerned about how the concrete seems to be moving away from foundation and towards that slope. He also said it could just be shrinkage but he said he wouldn't even take the job, best to use pool builders concrete company and lock in the warranty.

I am attaching some pictures as reference. Weird thing is the cement shrinkage on the sides of house is actually very very small, compared to the shrinkage running from rear of home foundation towards the slope. This has me thinking maybe the cement is actually moving towards the slope which seems like a huge problem?

Our pool builder said they've built 4 pools on my street, same side facing the slope and have had 0 issues. I also spoke to 2 of my neighbors who had pools put in but with a different pool builder and all said no piers system needed. One person who lives up the street about 1/2 mile away did need piers to a total of $30,000 just for the piers system...something we definitely can't afford.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210313_150946.jpg
    20210313_150946.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210313_151021.jpg
    20210313_151021.jpg
    746.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210306_151124.jpg
    20210306_151124.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210313_145816.jpg
    20210313_145816.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210313_145827.jpg
    20210313_145827.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 16156773760826829150365774447498.jpg
    16156773760826829150365774447498.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 16156774026347262257775969722680.jpg
    16156774026347262257775969722680.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Sorry, I wish I knew more about this stuff. But it sounds like your reasoning is, well, sound. The "endorsements" from PBs regarding neighboring pools is somewhat encouraging, but not really any sort of proof of anything. How old are the pools? Have you seen any of them? Can you? (If it were me, I'd let you in to look if you were my neighbor. Go ask.) Any evidence of them "sliding" down the hill? Man, I'd really want to look at those other pools and decks.

I can certainly understand not wanting (or being able) to pay for a massive foundation solution. But you can't not find out if you need that solution or not. That's sort'a like not going to the doctor because you don't want to hear you're sick. I think just your hunch about this is reason enough to have a proper engineering report done. It's odd that the other company backed out. Oh well. Find another (or the original one, as suggested). Basically, you don't have enough data at this point, and personally I wouldn't feel comfortable with an "engineering sign off" from a PB that basically reads "Oh, it'll be fine. We do it all the time!" Maybe it will be, maybe it won't. $30K is one thing, a broken pool is another. And a PB's lifetime warranty on the shell (if that's what you'll be getting) sounds comforting, but that not your lifetime, nor the pool's, nor the lifetime of the PB. It's the lifetime of his company, and more accurately... his bank account.

You need an expert.

Thanks Dirk! Great idea to go check out the pools and I am going to work on that asap. They are probably between 2-4 years old depending on which neighbor I ask.

I am in process of contacting original soil eng company, hopefully can get them out this upcoming week. Definitely want to speak to them.

Your correct PB said lifetime shell warranty after I voiced my concerns, even saying they have a soils eng company I could hire if need be. The neighbor 1/2 mile away did the same after they started their dig and soil wasn't looking right, and came to find out piers were needed at a tune of $30k. I would like to find out for our yard before dig is started as a piers system would kill our pool plans, at least for inground gunite pool.

Will report back how this all plays out. Crossing fingers 🤞🤞

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats
I know next to nothing about soil, but I think it is safe to guess that soil could be perfectly fine for a pool, even right next door, and your yard could have the one soft spot in the entire hill (whatever that's called geologically)... Or maybe there is a giant outcropping of granite just below your backyard and when all the other pools slide down the hill, yours will be the only one left! Yah, let's go with that! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JC707

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.