New Pool Build - Marin, CA - Finished

Yep, the rebar was pre-made and then lowered into the 18' holes. They will then add sono tubes (basically big cylinders straws to hold the concrete) over the rebar.

I have no idea how they'll get the concrete in there but I think I have seen on large construction sites where they have a crane that kind of pipes the liquid concrete in.

I'll send pics when we get there. Work has been a little tough as we have been getting a lot of rain in the last couple weeks.

Ok! 36 piers have been drilled and filled with concrete (the joys of living on a steep hill). The rebar is what went into the holes (18' deep) before the concrete poured in.

Attachments

• Piers 2.jpg
    Piers 2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 291
  • Rebar 2.jpg
    Rebar 2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 286
I know pretty crazy huh? I was watching that rebar being lifted and was holding my breath the whole time. Next up is forming for the walls around the pool.

Slowly but surely progress is being made. Anytime we have rains though they have stop and cover everything up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Progress being made on forming the two underground vaults which will house the glass fence surrounding the pool (which can be raised or lowered).

Attachments

• Pool 4.jpg
    Pool 4.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 193
I'm pretty sure it's their first (I know, I know). But there aren't a lot of solutions out there that will block out the wind and still maintain a view on nice days. Fingers crossed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: 42x15, double infiniti edge on steep hill - Marin, CA

Someone’s got to be the first. Sounds awesome.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
Concrete got poured today for the floor of the vaults that will contain the glass fence. These will go on the left and right of the pool

You can start to see the outlines of where the pool will eventually go (in the middle) :) The vertical perspective is a little tough to see as the picture is more top down but the pool is on a pretty steep hill.

Attachments

• Pool 6a.jpg
    Pool 6a.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 131
So I wonder why they are doing the glass walls first? Why not do the pool then the wall? I worry about the glass getting messed up during the pool build. (I do say this knowing you will have a good answer as you seem to be on top of everything.)

To clarify they are doing the concrete vaults first which will contain the glass partitions. The glass will raise or lower back into the concrete vault.

If it's not a windy day, we could have the glass fence down in the vault and just enjoy the view unobstructed. If it is a windy day the glass fence can raise up and block the wind and we can still swim. Well that's the plan anyways.

The vaults are on both sides of the pool so I'm guessing it made sense to start with those first. They poured the floor for both of the vaults (on the left and right of the pool). Next they'll form the walls of the vaults and then do that concrete pour. Then onto the pool walls next!

Lots of rain though the last few days. We are in a hold pattern until we get some more sun.

Below are a few more pics with progress on the retaining walls and pier foundations. It's slowly coming together.

Attachments

• IMG_4255.jpg
    IMG_4255.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4322.jpg
    IMG_4322.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4286.jpg
    IMG_4286.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 95
Also for those that like to nerd out on pool plans (lighting, bench depths, materials, etc..), I've included them as well. Feel free to comment or provide any input. I tried to use the collective learnings from this forum to help shape the plan after endless hours of reading :)

The pool is on a pretty steep site. It is setup as a dual infiniti edge. It will have underwater pool covers (Aquamatic) and a raisable/lowerable glass fence (Fancy Fence) both for safety requirements and to block out the wind. On all of the drawings the house is adjacent to the spa (the house wall literally is right next to the spa).

For the pool lights, it's a lot of lights but the main ones are only 12watts and the PAL mini's are 1watt (vs some of the intellibrite 30w+ versions). We're hoping to achieve more of a well balanced covered with softer glows.

For the seating we tried to use a variety of bench depths (18", 21", 24", 27"). I'm tall and my wife/daughter are shorter. We also tried to use shorter step heights to make it easier to get in/out of the pool/spa when we are older.

Thanks in advance for any comments / suggestions!

Attachments

• Overview.jpg
    Overview.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Depths.jpg
    Depths.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Spa closeup.jpg
    Spa closeup.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Side view.jpg
    Side view.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 46
  • Grotto.jpg
    Grotto.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Lighting.jpg
    Lighting.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Materials.jpg
    Materials.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.