New Pool Build Leander, TX(Austin) - Finishing Touches

I spoke to my super and took a pic of the manual that states their should be a check valve between the heater and chlorinator/SWG and said he sent that info to the plumbers. Sounds like they have been doing it wrong for everyone.
All I know is Im going to make them do mine right.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
I spoke to my super and took a pic of the manual that states their should be a check valve between the heater and chlorinator/SWG and said he sent that info to the plumbers. Sounds like they have been doing it wrong for everyone.
All I know is Im going to make them do mine right.
For me, it seems a lot of the PB's and tradesman are cocky and don't want to be told what to do by their clients. After all, they are supposed to be the professionals?
Why does it take some clients that are picky to sit there and have to catch mistakes the 'pros' are making?
Really makes you wonder all the other things you didn't catch... Stresses me out. And how sad for all those other people who it was done wrong for...

I had to point out to my PB that the heater manual said there needed to be a 36" clearance between the heater and outdoor AC units. They had mine shoved right next to it and I told them that we needed to move it and they told me they had been doing it like that for years. I told them I would compromise and we could do 24", because we really didn't have a lot of room.

It drives me crazy that people don't read instructions.

--Jeff

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Well gunite day has arrived. The crew showed up this morning shortly before 7 and had all the prep done and had started shooting gunite about 7:35.

My super had the plumbers come out on Wed and they swapped the DE filter with a 520 cartridge filter and added a second pump for the bubblers instead of using a valve off the 1 pump. They put the new DOE compliant single speed 1.1SFHP Pentair Whisperflo(015583) pump in for the bubblers. They also added a 5th return and looped the returns in the pool like I had asked. Only plumbing change that I want them to make yet is to add the bypass around the heater and add a one way valve between the heater and the puck feeder/SWG.
I'm still debating about having them just remove the puck feeder when they do the plumbing rework.

CH09_21_09_24_07_34_24.jpg
CH09_21_09_24_11_00_27.jpg

Last edited:
The mason guys came over the weekend and put the coping on. I have never really been really happy with the original tile we had chose but we chose it because when we went to the supplier we told them we were interested in either a 1x2 or 1x1 tile and they only showed us about 10 different tile samples and we chose the best one. Last week I got to thinking that was ridiculous to only have that small of selection so I contacted by designer and said that doesnt seem right which I should have done 1.5 months ago when we were choosing selections but anyways he said they have way more than that and said they must have only showed you the level 1 tile. I sent a text to the supplier to make sure it wasnt to late to change tile and sent a pic of what I was thinking and she said we can get it but its backordered till end of Nov and was a level upgrade. I told them to switch it and the upgrade was only $575 so well worth it in my opinion. That makes our original estimated completion of end of Oct get pushed to sometime in Dec as long a the tile comes in in Nov. Superintendent said he would continue with decking, firepit, outdoor kitchen, electrical, and finish off the plumbing in the meantime. I would rather delay some now and have something I really like than something I always wish was different.

Decking guys had started on Monday but stopped to get some plumbers to remove the pipes from the pad to the pool because they didn't burry them low enough for the decking to go over the top of them. Plumbers are here today so I'm guessing the decking guys will start again later today or tomorrow.

So here's progress pics
20211001_140553.jpg
20211002_165801.jpg

Selections - This has the original tile
20210812_113153_1.jpg
New tile
20210930_104735.jpg

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Well short update. We had a couple days of weather delay and a short delay to have the plumbers come back and remove the pipe and dig their pipe trench deeper to the equipment pad and relay the pipe and pressure test again because the trench wasn't deep enough for the decking to go over the top. I knew it was going to be an issue all the way back to when it was dug because I could see the depth wasn't deep enough but I cant call them out on every detail and some of the stuff they are going to have to find the hard way. I cant imagine not having any knowledge of plumbing, electrical, and mechanical and just trusting the PB to do everything right.
Decking prep is close to complete just need drains and concrete and then kool deck. On sat it sounded like they were hoping to pour cement this week but they haven't been around so far this week. Were waiting on tile till end of Nov anyways so they have some time to get it all completed.
20211019_112714.jpg
20211019_112951.jpg
20211019_112811.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Concrete Decking was poured on Sat and Monday a couple guys came and squared up the faux infinity edge. The tile we switched to is still on backorder till end of Nov so I don't think well see much progress on pool interior. They should come to work on the outdoor kitchen, firepit, and retaining wall yet this week or next, then refinish with a brown coat around the house foundation, backside of pool, and stairs, as well as koolcote the decking and existing patio.
20211023_084020.jpg
20211027_105925.jpg
20211027_105944.jpg
20211027_110025.jpg

I want to see how that faux edge looks when you are done. Our designer tried to sell us on that but I vetoed it and went with the coping edge on the back side.

Still slowly making progress. I have refrained from pushing on my super to keep thinking moving faster since the new tile selection is still tentatively just under month out. Kitchen, Firepit, and retaining walls are going in. The kitchen appliances I ordered are backordered for a couple weeks also so hope the cut sheets match actual dimensions.

20211105_162819.jpg

The retaining wall wasn't suppose to go along the back side of the patio behind the firepit but its probably better to have it there so the rain water that comes to the back from between the houses doesn't go on to the decking and into the pool.
20211105_162831.jpg

Firepit is a jungle gym for the little man instead of a firepit for the moment.
20211105_162910.jpg

You have some great views based on the pictures posted. Will you have a view from the pool looking out over the valley as does the BBQ station?

You have some great views based on the pictures posted. Will you have a view from the pool looking out over the valley as does the BBQ station?
Yes, were on a culdesac and in the corner and have a nice panoramic view of the valley. I'll have to take a pano view to upload.

Reactions: HermanTX
Electricians came and hooked everything up. I thought they did a decent job of keeping it neat and tidy. They only installed one transformer for the lighting which I knew going in but I'm thinking after were finished I might get 2 more and split the bubblers and spa separate into their own circuits so I can control the colors or on/off separately between the pool, bubblers, and spa.

They installed the Siemens breaker instead of the Pentair breaker for the VSF pump. Should I push to have them swap it out for the Pentair now or wait to see if we have trouble?

I also called the gas company about upgrading my gas meter because its rated at 250CFH which isnt big enough for a 400k BTU heater. They are coming tomorrow to take a look.

20211111_093601.jpg

Ignore the plumbing between the filter, heater, and salt cell as it will change yet. They are suppose to come put a heater bypass in and I called out that the chlorinator is to close to the salt cell.
20211111_093626.jpg

IntelliCenter i8PS (Disappointed they didn't do the load center that included the SWG power supply but O well I guess.
20211110_155616.jpg

And the 180degree pano from the back patio.
20211111_114557_2.jpg

Last edited:
I also called the gas company about upgrading my gas meter because its rated at 250CFH which isnt big enough for a 400k BTU heater. They are coming tomorrow to take a look.
That's interesting. We are in the same neighborhood and when my builder checked mine they said it was already the larger unit. But it's also 250.

Keep us updated on if the gas company upgrades yours.

That's interesting. We are in the same neighborhood and when my builder checked mine they said it was already the larger unit. But it's also 250.

Keep us updated on if the gas company upgrades yours.
I should know more tomorrow when the gas company comes. From the little research I have done my understanding is 1CFH is equal to about 1,000BTU. I know the meters can actually provide a little more than they are rated for but 250 is way under 400. I know other neighbors with 250CFH meters and they are running 400k BTU heaters and working but I'm guessing they aren't getting max capacity out of the heaters. My PB didn't seem to have concern with it either but the gas plumbers haven't come yet. I just figured I would make the call and see what the gas company says.

I'll post what I found out from the gas company

Last edited:
Reactions: Oswald

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.