Leander, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I started a thread back in May (Finalizing PB Quoting and Equipment List, Austin, TX) to get your inputs to help us finalize our build quotes. Well dig day has finally arrived and my poor yard is a disaster zone, But for the better :)

Pool Info and Timeline so far below. I will keep posting pictures and status periodically. Let the fun begin

Included is a pool, spa, tanning ledge, fire pit, outdoor kitchen and of course some decking
Total pool/spa size: 21x30ft
Total combined gallons: 14,842
Gunite
  • 1/2in Grade 60 Steel Rebar on 10in centers in both directions
  • Rated to 4000PSI
  • 12in Bond Beam
  • 8-10in Walls/Floor
Pool: 3.5 to 6 feet deep & 14292gallons
  • Faux Infinity Edge on 2 sides
  • Pebble Sheen
  • 5 Directional Returns, Looped for even pressure
  • 2 Independently plumbed Pentair skimmers (model: 506300)
  • 1 Eclipse Drains
Spa: 6x8 feet & 550Gallons
  • 2 1/2in PVC pipe
  • 6 Spa Jets
  • 1.5in Dedicated air line
  • 1 Eclipse Drains
Tanning Ledge: Depth of 6inches, I don’t have exact dimension but guessing about 6x16ft
  • 2 Bubblers(listed below, +1 at steps)
  • 2 Umbrella mounts

Equipment: Updated list with model numbers
  • Decking – Concrete with Koolcote, 4 drains
  • Pentair Intellitouch i8PS (model: 521904) Unfortunatly PB didnt bring the one with the built in IC power supply so I have an external IC PS also (model: 520556)
  • Pentair Intelliflo 3HP VSF (model: 011056) - was planned to be a VS but they brought a VSF
  • Pentair Whisper Flow 1.1SFHP DOE Compliant Single Speed (model: 015583) - To run bubblers
  • Pentair 400k BTU Heater (model: 460736)
  • Pentair Cartridge Filter 520sq (model: 160332)
  • Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 (model: 520555)
  • Pentair Inline Chlorinator (model: 320)
  • Silencer spa blower (model: 6310241)
  • Bubblers – 3 ColorVision Bubblers (model: 580037)
  • Autofill with backflow preventer connected to hose bib/spigot (MP Industries water level control)

Timeline:
4/26 - Started talking to Pool Builders
5/4 - Initial Onsite with selected Builder
6/17 - Signed Contract (This could have been quicker but was waiting for a comparable quote from another builder)
7/1 - HOA Approved
7/22 - Submitted City Permits
8/6 - City Permit issued
8/11 - Onsite Pre Construction meeting with Designer and Superintendent
8/12 - 811 here to mark out utilities
8/16 - Started dig

Last edited:
I plan to do the irrigation and landscaping my self once the build is done so over the weekend I tore out the sprinkler heads with a little help from the kiddos. 8 Popups, 4 Rotary heads, and 4 valves.

20210814_100303.jpg 20210814_100308.jpg

This looks awesome. Great selection of features and equipment.
Based on info you provided the swimable part of pool will be about 15ft wide by the 30ft length which is great.
You may want to verify your model of SWCG as it should be rated 2x your pool volume so I suggest it is the Intellichlor 40 model.
Keep us posted on your progress.

I plan to do the irrigation and landscaping my self once the build is done so over the weekend I tore out the sprinkler heads with a little help from the kiddos.
If you plan to do that, you may also want to consider to lay down some conduit to run speaker wires, or lighting wires, if you plan for those needs in the future. While the ground is all torn up, that is the time to lay down pipe for the future.

Also, you did not state what type of cleaner you will have. If you choose to go robot (or feel you may go to that in future), plan for a GFCI receptacle near the pool (per code) to handle that.

This looks awesome. Great selection of features and equipment.
Based on info you provided the swimable part of pool will be about 15ft wide by the 30ft length which is great.
You may want to verify your model of SWCG as it should be rated 2x your pool volume so I suggest it is the Intellichlor 40 model.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Yes, That is on my radar and I will talk with the superintendent next time I talk with him. I will make sure they plan atleast an IC-40. I asked the designer but he wasn't sure and I just said I'll cover it with the Sup.

If you plan to do that, you may also want to consider to lay down some conduit to run speaker wires, or lighting wires, if you plan for those needs in the future. While the ground is all torn up, that is the time to lay down pipe for the future.

Also, you did not state what type of cleaner you will have. If you choose to go robot (or feel you may go to that in future), plan for a GFCI receptacle near the pool (per code) to handle that.
I do plan on putting several runs of conduit under the deck. Probably atleast 3
  • A 1in for water line(My irrigation has a main water line that runs all the way around the house and then valves connected to that with the wire for the valves running along with the main water line)
  • Probably another 1in for the irrigation control wires
  • And probably 1 or 2 more ether 1 or 1.5in for future who knows what.

I plan to go with Robot but will wait to purchase till I get closer to finish. There is already an outlet on the corner of the house on the Firepit side as well as up on the patio. They will also be putting one in the outdoor kitchen.

Very nice! Looking forward to starting that soon too!

Felt a bit creepy going through your photos and realizing I'm pretty sure you are in the same neighborhood and that I walk my dog past your house most days! Every day I play a game of "spot the new pool builds"!

Just based on your quote and the excavation crew, I’m betting we are using the same builder that starts with a D. So far we have no complaints and our super has been great. We are at tile phase, just waiting on materials. Excited to see yours progress.

Just based on your quote and the excavation crew, I’m betting we are using the same builder that starts with a D. So far we have no complaints and our super has been great. We are at tile phase, just waiting on materials. Excited to see yours progress.
Yep, I would say were using the same builder. We have been very impressed with them so far. Our designer was very good and so far our super has already given a couple status updates and we just meet him last last Wed.

Reactions: KBR

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dig is completed
Rebar is planned to start either yet this week or Monday
Plumbing will start late next
Gunite in 2 weeks

Completed Dig
20210818_170024.jpg

Few parts being dropped of every time the super comes by he brings a few more.
20210818_170109.jpg

And we cant forget the refreshments for the workers.
20210816_122405.jpg

The guys are making good progress. Hole is done, Rebar is done, and plumbing is well underway. They will likely be done with plumbing Monday it looks. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't use more sweep elbows. Few questions below in red text.

Here are a few pics.
Plumbing layout. Few changes the plumber did.
1. Pool Main drain is plumbed for 2.5in not 2in
2. Pool Returns are plumbed with a 2in from the pad to where it splits to go each direction around the pool. It Ts there and converts to 1.5in would have rather seen 2.5 but the spa returns are seperate and the bubbers will all be plumbed back to the pad separate. This was called out that the pool return would be a loop to balance out pressure but they didnt plumb a loop. Should I have them make it a loop? Im not overly concerned about pipe size on the returns because the
3. Not sure why they are putting a vac return in since I told them I would be using a robot vac instead of a pressure side vac. Do I leave this plumbed as a seperate return maybe to use as a fountain for cooling instead or would I be better having them change that to the suction side and make a port for a manual vac?
4. There should be 3 bubblers not 2
1629646326169.png
The R's are Returns. Should I have them add a 5th return in the pool at the red circle to make sure that corner gets good circulation?
1629647936772.png

Is it normal to plumb the equalizer line in todays pools?
Inked20210822_102134_LI.jpg

20210822_102058.jpg
20210822_104308.jpg
20210822_104334.jpg
20210822_101943.jpg20210822_101913.jpg

Last edited:
Our pool was built 2 years ago and has equalizer lines on both skimmers. It allows water to continue to flow through the skimmer in the event your skimmer basket becomes clogged. My skimmers have a door on the bottom that you can pivot over the equalizer hole to block it off if you want.

We haven't made a huge amount of progress in the last 2 weeks but plumbing was completed and the city pregunite inspection completed. The equipment pad was poured over the weekend and this week the plumbers are suppose to come and finish the pad install. I asked the PB to hold off on Gunite till after 9/22 because I am out of town for a few days and would be unable to water the gunite for a few days.

Equipment has been delivered but they brought a Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter and a Pentair MPT Multiport(261152) and we were suppose to be getting a Clean and Clear 520 cartridge filter. Now I'm debiting on just letting them install the DE filter or making them go to the cartridge like I originally planned. The question, What would you do?

Reactions: ElGeno and KBR
You're gonna find differing opinions for filters. It's cartridge all the way for me. Nothing to mess with but the twice a year I pull the cartridges and clean them. I have a second set of cartridges ready to go in so I don't have to leave the pool not circulating the whole time I'm cleaning them. Also allows me to soak them in TSP if needed.

--Jeff

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
The plumbers came yesterday and plumbed the equipment pad. They are going to have to come make some changes. Super also said he wants to shoot gunite on Monday even though I am gone and he said he would come spray it with water 2 times a day. I'm still hoping to get him to wait till I am back as a 3 day or even a week delay at this point isn't a big deal as pool season will be pretty well wrapped up by the time were done anyways. He just wants to keep it moving because in his mind were behind by 2 weeks due to plumbers being hard to get but were only 4 weeks in from breaking ground.
1. There is suppose to be a bypass installed around the heater
2. They didn't put a valve in to control the bubblers. So right now the bubblers would be on anytime the system is in pool mode. I talked to the super this morning and he said the plumbers asked about installing a second pump to run the 3 bubblers so waiting to hear back on what the answer is on that. I'm thinking if they approve it they will eat the cost of the second pump. I'm thinking I might see if I can pay the difference and upgrade it to the same pump as the main pump so I have 2 identical pumps.
3. When they replumb to add the bypass in the heater I'm going to ask them to try and add a bit more straight pipe in front of the salt cell for better flow over the flow switch.

As you can see they installed the DE filter. Super said when he picked the equipment up they didn't have any cartridge filters in stock so this is what I ended up with. He said if I really want they will swap it for cartridge. I'm debating about leaving the DE in. If we stay DE I will add some pipe under the decking for the backwash line so I can route the backwash away from the pad and to another part of the yard.

Pipes from left to right:
  1. Suction Line(I'm guessing this is a suction line for a second pump. I'll put a pic below of where this pulls from) I would think they could have just T'ed off from a pool main drain line or something for the second pump if its used for bubblers only.
  2. Spa main drain
  3. Air line for Spa
  4. Pool main drain
  5. Skimmer 1
  6. Skimmer 2
  7. Pressure side vac(Not planning to use, Will get a robot. Although I'm inclined to hook it up to the second pump with a 3way valve 1 way to bubblers the other to this line and to use it for an areator when it gets hot to cool water)
  8. Bubbler 1
  9. Bubbler 2
  10. Bubbler 3
  11. Pool returns
  12. Spa return
  13. Spa Jets
20210914_100633.jpg

Suction line for second pump????
20210911_111809_2.jpg

Another view of pad.
20210914_100649.jpg

Pic of spa plumbing just because it wasnt finished when I posted the last pic of that area.
20210914_100551.jpg

Looks good. Need a check valve after the heater/before the tab chlorinator. Although that will all change when they add your bypass.

Why do you have an MPV with a cartridge filter?

--Jeff

Looks good. Need a check valve after the heater/before the tab chlorinator. Although that will all change when they add your bypass.

Why do you have an MPV with a cartridge filter?

--Jeff
Yes, I plan to have tell them to put a check valve between the heater and Tab dispenser/SWG when they replumb it.

The filter is a DE filter not a cartridge filter. It was suppose to be a cartridge filter but the supplier gave them the wrong one.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
I completely skipped over the part where you said they installed the DE filter. Sorry, pictures are like shiny objects and I get distracted easily!

--Jeff

Reactions: joshlarsen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.