New Pool Build - Katy, Texas

bies05

Jun 11, 2020
Katy Texas
Hello Everyone!

I’m so glad that I found this forum! It’s been a ton of help so far. Apparently like a lot of people right now, we’ve decided to go ahead and build a pool in our backyard. We don’t have a ton of space, so this is going to end up taking up most of our backyard. We’ve interviewed a few PBs and are pretty set on one that is more expensive than the others but has been the most responsive and seems like will be the easiest to work with. The others, while being cheaper, haven’t been as organized and I’m not sure I want to deal with that for the next couple of months. I’d love to get any feedback you guys are willing to give on what we’re looking at.

-Geometric sport pool with depths of 3.5 ft, 5 ft, 4.5 ft.
-94 ft permiter, 397 sq. Ft
-40 sq ft spa with raised ledges and spillover into pool, 6 jets, light
-Tanning ledge with two bubblers, umbrella hole and light (separate from bubbler)
-Long bench on 4.5 ft side
-Short bench next to spa
-Tiered ledge on back of pool with two fountains
-Travertine coping, spraydeck (900 sq ft), pebble pool surface
-Auto fill
-Ground cleaners, no robot cleaner
-Hayward SP32950 VSP 2.7HP
-Hayward SP 3210EE 1HP pump
-Hayward H500 FDN 500K heater
-Hayward C5030 525sqft Filter with In Line Chlorinator

A couple of questions.

-I know that SWG is really popular here, but like most people my PB is not interested in installing one. I’ve read up on why they’re better, but can anyone explain why the PBs are so against them? It seems like this is a common thing.

-As I mentioned before, this PB is more expensive than the others. However, this proposal does not include automation, re-routing of our sprinkler system or re-sodding the grass that is destroyed from the construction. Would it be worth it to try to negotiate for those things? I don’t know that we could knock down the price any, but maybe we could get them to throw that in? Is the automation worth it? Anyone have any luck with doing something like this?

-Any thoughts on tiles for the waterline or for the ledge? We like the idea of doing a light gray or something like that but are worried about how they would look after time. Thoughts? Same with spray deck color. How does that material do with heat absorption? If we go with a darker color are we going to regret it? I think I know the answer to that, but thought I’d ask.

-I’ve included a couple of pictures. Let me know any design thoughts you guys might have that I’m overlooking.

Thanks so much and I look forward to becoming more active on this board!

Attachments

• 14EFEFFA-3B49-45F1-8DB8-B684B8543DBF.jpeg
    14EFEFFA-3B49-45F1-8DB8-B684B8543DBF.jpeg
    557.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 23E1C7E4-7178-4C4E-8505-F5FAE8187BC7.jpeg
    23E1C7E4-7178-4C4E-8505-F5FAE8187BC7.jpeg
    538 KB · Views: 61
  • 91648F67-F12D-4FB5-8DBD-EB9096376E16.jpeg
    91648F67-F12D-4FB5-8DBD-EB9096376E16.jpeg
    593.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 47623A1F-2D3C-441E-B3EF-91943E1A5F2E.jpeg
    47623A1F-2D3C-441E-B3EF-91943E1A5F2E.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 29500F0C-1606-449D-9A90-7B5A7194CBDE.jpeg
    29500F0C-1606-449D-9A90-7B5A7194CBDE.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 49
  • E3C58297-AF2A-4FF7-BAD8-56B315C5212F.jpeg
    E3C58297-AF2A-4FF7-BAD8-56B315C5212F.jpeg
    484.2 KB · Views: 54
  • CE2C18EB-5C72-439B-BEE8-39F9ADC90762.jpeg
    CE2C18EB-5C72-439B-BEE8-39F9ADC90762.jpeg
    584.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
The no-SWCG is a Texas thing. Must be a lot of poor quality stone used. If a quality stone is used, the saltwater will not cause any more damage than the natural environment does. In Katy, you live near or in a swamp. Your natural environment is very corrosive.
Without a SWCG, you will need to add liquid chlorine to the pool EVERY DAY during swim season. Be ready for that.
With spa, etc, you want automation. Hands down.
Scrap the pressure side cleaner. Get yourself a robot on your own. Much better at cleaning and far less electricity needed.
Colors and stuff is for others ----

Have fun!
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Sotex
Bies, rendering looks good! We are in the middle of our build in east of Houston (Beaumont area) but our PB is from Pearland. They tried to talk me out of SWG, but I insisted and the did it. They're acutally letting me keep the Nature2 Fusion tab chlorinator since it is already plumbed in (needed for the 30 day startup since can't start the SWG during break-in period).

Bies - First of all welcome. To address your specific questions:

SWG - That is a million dollar question on why PBs are against them. I can tell you that a SWG is a lot easier if you are into the TFP method. Most people just blindly put some tabs into their skimmer/chlorinator and take a water sample to Leslies every so often so they can spend $ on their pool.

PB is more expensive - If he is more expensive and does not have automation, re-routing of your sprinkler, re-sodding, etc. then why are you going with them? Did you get at least 2 other quotes from builders? Pool builders are a dime a dozen in the Dallas and Houston burbs, so you have choices and should get 3-5 quotes before signing. If you havent signed, dont until you get other bids.

Also on your design, 3 feet is too shallow. If you try to swim you will scrape your hands on the bottom, and it will be too shallow for an adult to comfortably stand. Plus you already have the tanning ledge and bench in that area. Go at least 3.5 or even 4' in that area so it doesnt scare off people to the middle of the pool/deep end. I would also recommend automation and the robot cleaner. You will regret not getting those, especially the automation.

Good luck, hope that helps and keep posting.

Hi there from Sugar Land. Just some notes from my perspective:
1. I’d rather chop my leg off than not have an SWG down here. You will be hating life without it once you realize why you NEED it down here Trust me. All of my friends are miserable without it. The rumors about it ruining surfaces is just that. I haven’t seen a speck of damage in two years. Pool builders don’t understand SWG here so they push against it. If u don’t have an SWG down here and have to go to LC you will be dumping that in your pool EVERY DAY. I want to swim in my pool not make it my second job.
2. travertine is cool on the feet even in 110 degree heat. I wouldn’t trade it for anything down here.
3. Automation is great. Nothing like controlling everything from your phone even when you are out of the country. Another great thing about SWG with automation is you can control the output rate right from your phone (ie add/decrease CL output with a click)
4. I’d highly recommend a Chiller here unless you like swimming in bath water from July to November.
5. Realize PB are EXTREMELY busy down here. Getting them to throw things in now will probably be very difficult.
6. make sure you understand what you are getting plaster wise. To me the finish is one of the most important parts of the pool. It’s what you notice immediately every time you look out at your pool.

Hi there from Sugar Land. Just some notes from my perspective:
1. I’d rather chop my leg off than not have an SWG down here. You will be hating life without it once you realize why you NEED it down here Trust me. All of my friends are miserable without it. The rumors about it ruining surfaces is just that. I haven’t seen a speck of damage in two years. Pool builders don’t understand SWG here so they push against it. If u don’t have an SWG down here and have to go to LC you will be dumping that in your pool EVERY DAY. I want to swim in my pool not make it my second job.
2. travertine is cool on the feet even in 110 degree heat. I wouldn’t trade it for anything down here.
3. Automation is great. Nothing like controlling everything from your phone even when you are out of the country. Another great thing about SWG with automation is you can control the output rate right from your phone (ie add/decrease CL output with a click)
4. I’d highly recommend a Chiller here unless you like swimming in bath water from July to November.
5. Realize PB are EXTREMELY busy down here. Getting them to throw things in now will probably be very difficult.
6. make sure you understand what you are getting plaster wise. To me the finish is one of the most important parts of the pool. It’s what you notice immediately every time you look out at your pool.

BV, can you tell a difference with the Chiller? worth the money?

Thanks for the replies everyone! I was actually mistaken on the depth. It's supposed to be 3.5 ft, not 3 ft. I'll go back and edit.

So far we've received quotes from 3 builders. I called a few more, but getting responses was difficult. These three have been the most responsive.

As far as the sod, sprinklers and automation are concerned, we can get those, it just costs more. For the first two, they recommend getting someone else to do it because it's cheaper that way. The automation would add about $2k to the total price.

We have a meeting today with one of our builders and I'm going to ask about the SWG. If that is more user friendly on my end, then I'm all for it. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how everyone talks about PBs being completely against it, yet everyone on here is 100% for it. We even had one PB say that they recommend chlorine, but their company owner has SWG and loves it.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.