New Pool Build in surrounding area of Houston, Tx which PB to go with.

WATABOY

May 22, 2020
HOUSTON
Hi all,

Great forum for all us newbies. I have been in the market for a pool like everyone else who is dealing with this pandemic. I have 2 quotes from 2 PBs each with different experience levels. N pool pricing quote has been in the business 8 years, but is difficult to reach at times. Estimate EST0146 is from a new company established last year and are very accessible, although when we asked how long they have been in business the co-owner said 3 years. This seems like a red flag to fib on your experience. I would like a resident expert to possibly review these 2 quotes to let me know if one is better than the other or are both fairly priced. If both are fairly priced, should I go with experience or go with accessibility and give the new guys a shot since everyone needs to start somewhere? Also attaching pictures from each bid, sorry that they are different viewing angles.IMG_7426_LI.jpg

Thanks.N pool_012.jpg

Attachments

• N Pool Pricing ver1.pdf
    144.2 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
That seems very high to me, when I get back to my computer in a little while I will compare notes and share what we are doing, but as a point of reference the one we are building started at 43K as shown in my avatar pic with all equiptment

After looking at the bids they gave you vs what we are doing I think if it were me I would have them give an itemized breakdown of cost. What we did was start at the base price of the pool/spa package and then add on after knowing what each add on cost

Everybody is busy here right now so in my opinion what you could get for ballpark $55k costs you $70k. For that price you should be getting automation, a SWG, travertine decking (non spray deck), and if Wet Edge a higher end finish like Primera Stone/prismmatrix. I’m partial to Pentair and pool equipment is critical to me.
Also I’d ditch the Ozone/UV. Complete Waste of money. If they say you need it tell them we have this thing called the sun down here and we get plenty of sunlight..a WHOLE LOT of it. Lol

if I was you I’d continue to check around. You down south near Sugar Land?

Last edited:
Neither builder sounds appealing to me. We are basically at the same stage as you right now. Got 4 proposals and 2 were immediately discarded due to poor communication and questionable competency. The other 2 are in the $70k neighborhood and just based on size and specs are providing a larger and better quality pool. I would suggest keep shopping.

One other question, What part of Houston are you in?
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Im in Pearland and seems that nobody is giving us the attention we want. Im hearing that gunite crews are booked so we may be lucky to get a digging and gunite by October. Im not sold on ozone/uv either but gotta please the wife. N Pool said they have a good working relationship with Texas gunite and can get us on the schedule assuming we have no delays with permits or HOA approval.

Those prices do seem high to me and my pool was just finished last year. I would try getting at least two more quotes. Also, do some research here. UV/ozone is not recommended. Only bleach or a SWG is what you need. Good luck!

We are close to an hour north of you in Summerwood, I doubt our builder would go that far, but there have to be more competitive builders in your area. Or maybe start in a few months when they start to slow down and are willing to be more competitive. When we started getting bids we almost decided to wait and start ours in December

Seems a little high to me as well, we are in Sugar Land and got 5 different quotes back in June and they ranged from 48 on the low end and 77 on the high end. For that set-up i would guess you should be around 60k given the current landscape. I think with the pandemic and no one traveling, they are all very busy quoting. A few builder’s didn’t even call or answer our request, orignally sent a request to 9 builders and then with 5 responses, we narrowed it to 2. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I recognize the layout of the bid quote as the Pearland pool builder we went with for our build. FWIW-that pricing is in line with what were quoted in April. We received three bids in the area and they were all relatively aligned price wise once apples to apples was configured.
Also-a recent poll of my neighborhood revealed an average pool price of 50-65k over the last several years.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Im in Pearland and seems that nobody is giving us the attention we want. Im hearing that gunite crews are booked so we may be lucky to get a digging and gunite by October. Im not sold on ozone/uv either but gotta please the wife. N Pool said they have a good working relationship with Texas gunite and can get us on the schedule assuming we have no delays with permits or HOA approval.
Check with Bella Oasis Pools. We are in League City and have been very happy with them. We are getting pool & spa, wet edge signature matrix, automation, water features, extra decking, sidewalk from the front etc... for less than your attached quote. We signed in June, dug 7/11 and scheduled for gunite next week.

Attachments

• Tillman_5.pdf
    364 KB · Views: 91
  • 3241003F-F43E-4932-BD93-441B4BE37F28.jpeg
    3241003F-F43E-4932-BD93-441B4BE37F28.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Check with Bella Oasis Pools. We are in League City and have been very happy with them. We are getting pool & spa, wet edge signature matrix, automation, water features, extra decking, sidewalk from the front etc... for less than your attached quote. We signed in June, dug 7/11 and scheduled for gunite next week.
Thanks will give them a call, but what Im finding is a lot of PB out in that area wont travel to my area with all the demand they have enough local inquiries.

I would be curious to see if they keep your gunite appointment with all the rain, my guess is there will be some delays. I hope not, but brace yourself...

I would be curious to see if they keep your gunite appointment with all the rain, my guess is there will be some delays. I hope not, but brace yourself...
Yes we have been pushed on the schedule once already (we should have had gunite earlier this week), I’m hoping we can catch a dry morning this week like planned but we aren’t holding our breath lol

Have you thought about putting a SWG in? I’d rather cut my arm off than not have an SWG down here in HOUSTON for MULTIPLE reasons. You will be hating life lugging liquid chlorine EVERY DAY from March-November in order to properly chlorinate your pool (following TFP). You will want to enjoy your pool not make it your second full time job. Just a thought to consider.

Heard good things with Bella, but whenever I was getting quotes he never answered my multiple calls. We had a MCK quote also, but finally went with aqua blue designs.
He always got back to us, which was very important when your trying to spend a lot of $$.

Reactions: jjbradley and 4ST
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.