nicolispicoli

Gold Supporter
Nov 18, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello, we recently pulled the trigger and signed a contract with a pool builder for a new pool!

In 2019, we met with a couple different contractors, but we weren't falling in love with the designs, so spring 2020, we hired a company specifically to design something for us, based on their past projects. In nicer words, our project was too "small" $ for them to build, so we shopped our plans. Now that we have chosen a contractor and signed, it turns out we have expensive taste. We are turning it into a larger project as well, i.e., new driveway, outdoor bbq area, fire pit and seating, etc. etc. Photos below!

Generally wanted to know people's thoughts or red flags. (Should have done this before we signed, but oh well..). The designer created the plans on their end, and the contractor is now taking over and has submitted for permits. Should have near the end of the month allegedly. [Dig started June 15th!]

Its also of note that my husband did the majority of the correspondence with the contractor, so some specifics I had were not necessarily called out on here but I am under the impression that they are adjustable items. As far as plaster/pebble, I want something smooth, but it says pebble - does it come in smooth? I haven't done the research yet but plan to, or I want saltwater, PB doesn't recommend it but says it can be added later (is this true?), husband said PB recommends ozone or something...isn't that something entirely different? Again, more research on my part is needed. [EDIT: WE ARE GETTING SALTWATER AFTER LOTS OF TRYING TO CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE - I said salt was happening so she could charge us or we would buy it on my own. Builder is going to charge us.]

EDIT: I am removing the bid info because it is mostly irrelevant at this point and replacing with the equipment we have received thus far, please let me know if there is something we should change, thanks!

Pro Series ePump Variable-Speed Pump w/o controller 2.7HP - VSSHP270AUT
Cartridge Pool Filter - CV580
Pool & Spa Heater 400K BTU Natural Gas - JXI400N
Sub Panel Power Center - 6614-LD
Aqualink RS-PS6 Pool and Spa Control System - RS-PS6
iAqualink 2.0 Network Interference Module - IQ20 - I see there is a 3.0 out, do we need the 3.0??
AquaPalm 18 Channel Aqualink Wireless Handheld Remote - AQWHR18

Don't have box or have not received but noted to get or already installed
SWG
Jandy nichless lights
Autofill/overflow

Am I missing anything? Thanks again for everyone suggestions and opinions!

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 11.55.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-10 at 11.57.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-11 at 12.14.41 AM.png

Last edited:
I've never seen a round pool before. Very cool. Yes, you can add a SWG later. As for pebble being smooth, that is very subjective. To me it isn't. People try to tell me how smooth theirs is and I never think it is. There are other options though. You could go with a plaster or quartz which are less expensive than pebble. Or you could get something like Wet Edge's Primera Stone which is a pebble that's polished smooth. It is quite a bit more expensive. NPT has their own version and I'm sure other companies do too. There's lots of info on here. Enjoy your journey.

We got the inspiration from a hotel in Australia, the Bower Byron Bay, but wanted a spa also, so that will be inset so that we still have a circle. After a couple designs this is what we came up with and can’t wait for the project really to get started. However, we are still in the middle about almost everything color related! Dark or light pool, tile color, wood type, too many options!

DF8005B7-BE11-444B-88FA-8F947B956776.jpeg

Reactions: Snoobug and Nikilyn
The thought with the dark bottom pool is that I know I like I warm pool, also like the moody aspect of it. Being in Southern California we don't have too many risks of snakes taking a dip, maybe just a fallen mouse! We do have an almost 1 year old, so that makes me cautious about not being able to see her and we need to do some type of gate obviously. Swimming lessons have already started at grandma and grandpas house, but we are planning on getting real lessons as soon as the pool is in!

I think a dark bottom would look amazing! I am biased since I went with light travertine coping and matching waterline tile with a dark bottom pool. We get a TON of compliments on our pool, especially the dark bottom.

Also here in Southern California - finalizing our plan and contract with the contractor now, but we are also planning on going with a dark mini pebble. The deck will be lots of light/white pavers/concrete (with some wood decking) so we feel the dark pool will create a really nice contrast. Looking forward to how this will turn out!

We finally got some good news! Plans approved and permits pulled, we are on the schedule for the dig on June 15th! Its been about 7 months since we signed the contract... Any advise on things I should be watching out for would be greatly appreciated.

This is a great pool design. Very unique for an inground pool.
Yes you can have smooth pebble - I have it in my pool - mine is Wet Edge Primera Stone. They apply on day 1 and on day 2 they come back and use hydraulic sanders that smooth it down. It is a higher end product but has the look of pebble without the pebble feel.
Please look at this link - it is regarding the Wet Edge product but other mfg. would have similar offerings - just different names. What I like about this video is that they explain the different types of plaster from standard to the high end and everything in between.
Wet Edge Technologies – various types of plaster – overview of all products

With regard to saltwater pool. It is best to have it installed now because your plumbing at the equipment pad is then planned around that. It can be added later but you will have to modify your plumbing layout unless you plan for it now and put in a dummy section where the saltwater chlorine generator (SWCG) will be placed later. It is all doable, either now or later, but plan for it now so it is easier to install the SWCG later.

Reactions: nicolispicoli

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the video! Very informative and definitely helps to point us in the right direction. As for the saltwater, I have fully decided that we will get it so it will either be installed, or a space for it planned if the contractor really won’t budge I don’t foresee it being an issue though!

The one thing I can add, would be take as many photos of each step in your build as you can. Too many photos is better than not enough. You might need to refer back to something and the photo will be helpful. Especially plumbing photos since it will get buried later.

Today is Dig Day!! We are very excited over here and I even moved our ring camera to hopefully make a time-lapse video. Here are some photos, because, we all know it didn't happen if there are no photos!! Most my photos are too big of files so I am going to take some more on a lower setting.

It was of course the hottest day of the week, but we had water and gatorade ready to go, thanks for the suggestions! They said they had never been offered any drinks in ice before! 😱

IMG_6292.jpeg

IMG_6303.jpeg

Reactions: Nikilyn and duade
One tip for pictures that are too big is to email them to yourself. It asks what size you want to send them at so just pick a lower one. I didn't like changing my camera settings each time and then ended up with some other pictures that weren't as nice that I wanted to be better. Emailing them to myself was better for me.

Congrats on the whole in your yard 😊.

Reactions: nicolispicoli

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.