New Pool build --- Northern California **4/12/21 start date**

I think the best way is still to wait for a market downturn. We can't be far off.... 😕

I would have thought the same thing back in April when we began looking for pools and talking to builders. The market was in trouble, the economy shaken, high unemployment, and pool builds on the way up. Since then, many pool builders are booking 2021 solid, and some into 2022 depending on your area. Its almost counter intuitive, but pool builders are swamped with builds and even more so with quotes. I agree with your comments above, I'm just not so sure we are going to be seeing a break in pool building demand any time soon.

Our PB moved very little from their pricing. They basically told us (In a nice way), they will book a build on the pricing they are charging, there is little incentive for them to lower prices in order to get our business. Someone is going to get in line, and put their deposit down. If the PB can get more for the build they quoted the other day, why bring their prices down for one more build? They still have long lines just waiting to talk about their next pool. I have heard a lot of builders will indeed throw in "extras" or other things the other guys don't. It probably doesn't cost the PB all that much, but it gives the customer a warm fuzzy they got something off MSRP.

Best of luck with the talks with the PBs. Like others have mentioned, it becomes difficult to compare apples to apples, but if you get enough quotes, and understand what is included in each one, you will start to narrow down which package/builder you are most comfortable with.

Our first builder quote includes 1 light. This next builder I am hoping to hire but still waiting on includes 3 LED lights per my friend's quote I saw.

I definitely would love lights not only for the look but I do have 3 small kids ages 2 thru 7 so it might be good to have them.

The kids for sure will love the lights! And they are only small now, wait till they grow up and night swimming is their thing. I do get the thought process on finding ways to reduce the big cost of a pool, but eliminating lights all together would probably be regretful. Maybe not have them on automation just yet, a simple switch would do. I guess in the grand scheme of it all, you can justify any cost add or removal based on the "big picture", but I like to think of what would be a real pain to do later, things like lights are one of those.

We had a pool for seven years, came with the house we bought. We used the pool light. . . A handful of times. Our youngest was 8 at the time and he and his siblings were always in bed by 9 PM. . . None of the kids swam at night. Never had night parties. Any parties they had were in the day, after school or on weekends.

We never stared out at our pool at night or sat outside. Our blinds were closed, the only time we glanced at the pool was when we were walking to and from the car carrying groceries. We aren't night owls.

If you're getting a deep end, go for a light, I can see wanting one for that. In our next build we won't have a deep end, so I don't see putting one in. We're going with a light pool finish, so we can see clearly, even from a distance just what is in the pool. And there are other options than a pool light. Floodlights in the back yard work just as well. . .

I was mentioning ways to save on pool expenses. It's something to think about if your budget is tight.

Reactions: JC707
Are sheer decents or as my noob self calls them...waterfalls, expensive to do? Maybe 24". And do they need a seperate pump? We plan on going with a basic 30x15 rectangular pool, no spa.

Last edited:
Are sheer descent or as my noob self calls them...waterfalls, expensive to do? Maybe 24". And do they need a seperate pump? We plan on going with a basic 30x15 rectangular pool, no spa.
We added 2 24" sheer descent waterfalls to our pool and the builder charged us $750 for both. We are also adding a second pump for the water features, but that was optional. THe only reason we are adding the second pump is to be able to use the water features while we are using the spa. Another thing to consider with the sheer descent waterfalls is that they are installed in the raised wall. We were already installing a raised wall anyway, so that didn't matter to us. We added a 29 foot wall one foot tall and the builder charged us an additional $500 for it.

No spa and one sheer descent? You should not need a second pump. I have one pump and a valve with an actuator to turn it on. In addition, I have the pump programmed to change RPM or flow when activated to fine tune it to just how I like it.

We added 2 24" sheer descent waterfalls to our pool and the builder charged us $750 for both. We are also adding a second pump for the water features, but that was optional. THe only reason we are adding the second pump is to be able to use the water features while we are using the spa. Another thing to consider with the sheer descent waterfalls is that they are installed in the raised wall. We were already installing a raised wall anyway, so that didn't matter to us. We added a 29 foot wall one foot tall and the builder charged us an additional $500 for it.

Yeah we plan on a 25 foot raised wall 18" or so high. I was thinking that additional alone would be $3,000 or more but you paid $500?! That would be amazing for us if so. Thanks for the input.

He originally quoted me $1000 for the wall and then when we were doing the final budget agreement he lowered the wall to a $500 add on because we are doing tile on the wall instead of travertine

Thanks. I am assuming the tile is extra, in addition to the $500?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, the tile is included for the $500. It was going to be $1000 because he thought we wanted the stacked travertine to match the coping and it is a more expensive material.

Wow I am all off on my estimations. Hoping the pool builder we will be meeting with soon is in this same price range. If so will add in 1 or 2 sheer waterfalls. I think my kids will enjoy them.

We didn't go with any of the exotic materials that alot of people are using in pool builds and really tried to keep our budget under control. Our general thought was that we would be happy just to have the pool at all

October Update:

Finally met with the PB we would like to work with based on referrals from friends. Lady that came out was super friendly and is the designer/project manager. The guy we originally wanted to work with was super busy and not taking anymore customers so he referred us to his sister, she just got out if carpal tunnel surgery and was now taking on clients. I guess this is a family ran business.

We spoke about our desires, she took measurements, and said she will get back to us in a week as she wants to 3D map it all out. The first company I met didn't do any 3D designing just sent over a non-itemized quote so we are very interested in seeing her design.

She mentioned they specialize is Jandy equipment and can install whatever we want but does prefer Jandy. After some research here, I think I will stick with Jandy.

I brought up my friends $56K pool her company built and I want something similar in price with a few additions. She said that is possible which is awesome, but she needs to map out the entire project to see how much concrete coping/decking we need.

Lastly, I met with her at the right time as they are running an October end of summer sale. Maybe up to $4,000 off pool with a free pebble tec finish thrown in. She is going to put this in our estimate.

I spent so much time researching the Pentair equipment now I will spend a day finding the exact Jandy equipment we want. :)

Some unique things about our set up....

1. When bought the house brand new, new construction build in 2016. At that time we had a 4 and 2 year old and a pool was not in our plans ever. We had concrete installed EVERYWHERE in back yard minus some spots for fruit trees. Half of this will need to be demo'd out. 1st PB said $4,000 to demo, PB we met Friday said maybe $2,000-$2,400 demo costs. I also know a few people to get some quotes from.

2. Due to concrete, we will need to cut a trench in the concrete to run the electrical from pool all the way to the other side of house where the main electrical box is near garage. First PB we met said it may be better to run electrical thru attic so we brought this up to this 2nd PB and she said she agrees, probably better to run thru attic and drop it out on side of house where we prefer our equipment pad.

3. We want to build sometime in early spring. My thought process here is less rain but still not as hot as summer time. She said we can start as early as November dig (next month) and be done by January if we so choose. Any thoughts on a winter build? We are in no hurry to get thus built and truth be told we are in the middle of a cash out refi to fund our new pool so we probably couldn't get this going until sometimes in December once we close the refi.

One other thing that comes to mind. Behind our house is a dirt field that has a pretty steep slope from behind our fence down to the field. 1st PB didn't peak over fence and said they can start our pool about 3 feet out from fence line. 2nd PB took a look over the fence and saw the slope and said just as a precaution she would want the waterline to start maybe 5 or 6 feet away from the fence line. We have a narrow backyard to begin with so this will push the pool more toward the house but we don't mind as long as everything is safe.

This may be ok as well because our friend/neighbor 5 houses down actually had an issue with the fence sliding down slope a bit. The builder of our homes had to come out and inspect/fix her issues. So far we haven't had any issues they had so I hope the slope will hold if they dig our pool out.

For design....we plan on a 20' long X 18-24" raised wall on the side of pool. We know kids will be jumping off(no diving allowed tho) so my original plan of wanting a bench to extend under the raised wall from end to end was changed to move the bench to other side of pool due to safety issues.

I was thinking that kids will be jumping off that side of pool as well....so I wanted to get recommendations from you fine folks.

We for sure want an end to end bench, should we put it in the raised wall side or the opposite side of pool? This will be a rectangle shape pool.

Thank you.

Forgot to add:

I contacted first PB and said I noticed his website has starting builds at $55k for a "clean slate" yard. Said how did price jump to $73k for my addition of a raised wall? He said due to the concrete demo, electrical thru attic, etc it causes price increase. In my mind I was like a darn near $20k price increase tho?? Bottom of quote he put "add additional $4k for concrete demo" and $3500 for pebbletec" tho so the concrete is a seperate charge not included in his build price.

Either way, we plan to go with this 2nd pool builder but I did want to reach out to inquire about the quote. Very nice guy and I know they build quality pools from everyone I spoke with....but it's a little out of our budge range unfortunately.

I also took some advice from the forums and reached out to all the pool servicing companies in our area to see who they would recommend since there the ones managing the pools for most people (non TFP users).

Many said both companies are great, it's whoever can fit you into their schedule as this area is slammed with pool builds at the moment.

Well we picked our builder! So exciting.

I was thinking of waiting until spring 2021 to build, she said that isn't a problem but if we wanted to start now that is good too.

I was thinking rain season is coming here in Northern California and I am thinking Spring may be better to build. Is that a legit reason to hold off on the build?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.