New Pool build --- Northern California **4/12/21 start date**

I would think that adding it at the time of the build would be best so the weight of the extra concrete is accounted for in the engineering. We are doing 29' of wall 12" high and our builder is only charging an extra $500. But they are making their money on some of the other items that we are adding, two 24" sheer descent waterfalls are going to cost us $750

Lol man I love this forum. Learning all the pool jargon in no time.

Alright well I will make note that whomever I go with the raised bond beam must be included with build and can't do it after.

A side question, can the coping just be concrete? This first quote I have mentions nothing about coping but just "up to 400 sq ft of broom finished cantilever concrete".

"up to 400 sq ft of broom finished cantilever concrete" That is concrete coping. Decking in CA is usually on a separate bill, if you mean decking? Did the PB go over that? Not impossible but I have not seen a pool bid in CA that included decking. They like to not tell you that. You can find pics here or google what cantilever coping is. You just don't want your decking and coping done in one pour if you know what I mean. You need an expansion joint. Your PB will or should know that.

Not all pool have decking either. Some people choose artificial turf or something else. If you are confused on the difference of decking and coping, coping in the material on top of the pool bond beam. Decking is a patio around the pool. Some folks use the same material while others choose different materials to further define the edge of the pool or to picture frame it.

Reactions: JC707
Ok that makes sense thank you!

So when he came over he showed me where he would need to demo out my existing concrete and said it would be replaced with concrete around/up to the pool. So I am thinking the "up to 400 sq ft" includes the decking (patio around pool) and the coping? I may need more then 400 sq ft tho hmmm.

I checked out a link from their website showing all the different tile copings. Is that coping really needing or can we get by with concrete coping?

"up to 400 sq ft of broom finished cantilever concrete" That is concrete coping. Decking in CA is usually on a separate bill, if you mean decking? Did the PB go over that? Not impossible but I have not seen a pool bid in CA that included decking. They like to not tell you that. You can find pics here or google what cantilever coping is. You just don't want your decking and coping done in one pour if you know what I mean. You need an expansion joint. Your PB will or should know that.

Not all pool have decking either. Some people choose artificial turf or something else. If you are confused on the difference of decking and coping, coping in the material on top of the pool bond beam. Decking is a patio around the pool. Some folks use the same material while others choose different materials to further define the edge of the pool or to picture frame it.

So I am thinking the "up to 400 sq ft" includes the decking (patio around pool) and the coping
I’m guessing you are getting a 4.5 foot walkway/apron/patio surrounding the pool like a picture frame. Basically a sidewalk. 4.44 ft wide comes to 400 sq ft. While it’s never part of ‘the pool’, I have seen many that came as part of the overall package. It’s very basic but it’s highly functional. The ones I’ve seen then put a separate patio or deck in nearby as the longe area if they didn’t have it already.

I would ask for clarification. 400 sq ft seams like alot for coping, so I assume that is decking and coping. If you are tying into existing patio, that make sense. A typical pool is around 80-100 perimeter feet. If your coping is 12" wide, that would be 100 sq ft of coping. Maybe cantilever coping is generally wider? Not sure. But if the coping was 4' wide and the perimeter is 100', then that would be 400 sq ft. Seams excessive to have it at 4' but I'm not used to seeing that used. Therefore asking for clarification would be helpful to you.

Yeah you guys are correct, we are tying it into existing patio. When we moved here in 2016 we had no thought of getting a pool and darn near everything is concrete in our backyard. Now we pay the price to rip the concrete area out for the pool and the builder will re-pour the decking/patio to tie it into our existing patio area.

Reactions: Newdude
Ha, Nudedude just beat me to the submit button. Kinda what I was saying with the 4' coping. And yes you can do concrete. Where you looking at water line tile or coping? Coping is generally stone, brick, concrete.

We are looking at water line tile which he included in his quote.

Just to clarify the coping is the concrete or tile or what have you that runs from edge top of pool inwards towards decking correct? Basically the part of your butt sits on, on the edge near pool?

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to clarify the coping is the concrete or tile or what have you that runs from edge top of pool inwards towards decking correct? Basically the part of your butt sits on, on the edge near pool? -Correct.

You said tile coping which threw me off. Maybe you where looking at stone tiles. When someone says tile, I think of a thin material. 1/4" thick or less. Coping is much thicker. Thats why I asked if you where looking at water line tile or coping. Just wanted to be sure we where talking about the same thing.

Just to clarify the coping is the concrete or tile or what have you that runs from edge top of pool inwards towards decking correct? Basically the part of your butt sits on, on the edge near pool? -Correct.

You said tile coping which threw me off. Maybe you where looking at stone tiles. When someone says tile, I think of a thin material. 1/4" thick or less. Coping is much thicker. Thats why I asked if you where looking at water line tile or coping. Just wanted to be sure we where talking about the same thing.

Ahhhh got it. Noted, will just say coping next time. Now you all have me wondering if an upgrade to travertine/etc coping, is it worth it. Honestly I wouldn't mind concrete coping if it will last.

Ahhhh got it. Noted, will just say coping next time. Now you all have me wondering if an upgrade to travertine/etc coping, is it worth it. Honestly I wouldn't mind concrete coping if it will last.

How likely is it that this is your forever home? Will travertine be an upgrade fancy finish or would concrete look out of place? We have concrete and my only complaint is that being brushed its kind of hard to walk on comfortably. I wish mine were smoother.

Maddie

If the concrete is done properly, it will last. It all depends on your taste and budget. What will look good with the style of your home? I like to think of the pool as an extension of the home and they look really great when everything flows.

Our builder is pretty chill about add-ons. I didn’t want many one or two. He asked if I wanted some I said no, he said ok cool. Gave me his honest opinion on others and even suggested some I thought I wanted weren’t really necessary for the cost would be.

I have a complete install sheet that says what is included in the “package” at the quoted price and add-ons were obviously additional but not pushed on us as buyers.

So I just went through this and recently signed my contract. I would get multiple quotes. I created a spread sheet with all the details but honestly not sure how helpful it was. The company we went with had the least details but a lot included. I just emailed back to clarify all the clarifications I wanted. There are so many decisions and everything adds up. I pretty much made up my mind when I went into their office to get the final quote that I was pretty sure I would go with them. It took 2 hours and I was testing my husbands patience and to be honest I was tired. Texted the next day that we were going with him but could not imagine doing that whole thing a second time. I really didn’t want to go onsite and spend all that time unless I knew I was pretty sure I would go with them. If I did it again I would do this 3 times, full detailed quote..and pick. I did have 6 quotes total but all but one were about the same. I would probably separate the in office visit to weeks apart just so not as painful. Mine is way more expensive than I thought it would be. Also I had 2 builders tell me that they look up your home address before giving a quote, I assume to see how expensive a house is and base their quote accordingly. Good luck!

Also I had 2 builders tell me that they look up your home address before giving a quote, I assume to see how expensive a house is and base their quote accordingly.

Good point! I'd give them a relatives modest home address if I had to, then and after signing contract offer correct the address as my "new home".

Reactions: ckinchen
Good point! I'd give them a relatives modest home address if I had to, then and after signing contract offer correct the address as my "new home".
Didn’t think of that, but I would think every yard is unique so probably need them to see your property. I needed turndown wall so maybe if completely flat that could work. I know they do pull it up on google earth too. Maybe base price is the same. Would be interesting to test out😀.

So we got our very 1st estimate....very exciting until I saw the costs LOL. I feel baited and switched as the website describes a pool build for them starting at mid $55 range and all we want to add is a SWG, pebble finish, and a small 2 foot raised ledge to back side.

Also the estimate didn't line item it out just put what is included and a total price. I saw another pool build thread here from a guy who is somewhat local to me and the estimate quote he posted the Builder itemized each cost out line by line. And for $70k he got a muchhhhhhh nicer pool its crazy the cost difference.

How should I best go about this? Am i allowed to counter offer or question the price? Ask why the huge price jump from his website? I am waiting for more pool builders to contact me , so far this is the only place to come over.

Edit : this is for a 30x15 recantagle shaped pool, 3.5 - 7' deep pool.
Pentair equipment w/ automation, and includes SWG and raised 18" ledge on back side nearest fence. No waterfalls or anything special.

Pricing on his website states for all this minus SWG and raised ledge starts at $55k.
Hey JC that was me. Sent me a Direct Message and maybe we can talk on the phone.
-Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.