New pool build and plaster didn't meet expectations, options?

JKirkChavez

Aug 19, 2019
Lewisville, TX
Hi all, I have a 2 month old pool and we are less than impressed with the plaster. Below gives you some background and reason for me reaching out.

When we were getting quotes we were inquiring about Pebbletec, but the builder we ended up contracting with sold us on a Finest Finishes brand and we landed on the Sparkle Quartz Lakeside.

From the day we began to fill I was alerting my PB that the plaster did not look right and I could not see any of the aggregate/quartz. They advised I continue to brush and give it time. I also noticed some dark blue areas all over the tanning ledges and benches. They advised the plaster company came out and did something with some acid and I should let them know how it looks in 6 weeks. We are now 2 months after fill and where I can see what appear to be tiny aggregate when I get close I don't feel it's close to the sample. In addition the dark blue areas are still very prominent.

I talked with my PB again and she said they would come out and do a "hot start". I reluctantly agreed even though I read it's not good for the longevity of your plaster and asked her if we could agree that is that did not fix it they would remedy the situation. She stated they would re-plaster at my expense to which I replied that I would then have to seek legal council. That upset her and the PB now refuses to have anyone out to my property to do anything to fix the issue.

I did contact the manufacturer UWC and they connected me with a local rep. He insisted on having the builder present when he came out and the builder insisted on having the plaster company present. The manufacturer did say it was under exposed, but to keep brushing and it could take months. I was very uncomfortable as the 3 were talking about other work and making jokes which made it very apparent there were relationships. At that point I didn't feel like he would have implicated the plaster company who pushes his product.

I did have a few reputable companies out to inspect and they all say there seems to be an exposure issue or application issue and if the aggregate is there is could take years to expose. One even told me there was nothing they could do on the dark blue areas and that my blue plaster will eventually grey which I was never informed of at any point by me PB.

I have attached some pics for your review and would love any professional feedback. I reached out to the NPC to see if they could recommend inspector in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that could give me a written report if this goes south with PB. Unfortunately, they said they don't...any suggestions?

Thanks -

Attachments

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Welcome to TFP!

Sorry to hear about your problems. There is no easy fix, and you may be better off to just live with it if the plaster is solid and smooth. I’m surprise they haven’t mentioned an acid wash, which will remove some of the plaster from the surface to expose what’s underneath. It will change the feel of the plaster and shorten its life, but I’d expect it would look better. No easy answer.

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
I thought that exposed aggregate plaster was supposed to be acid washed before water was added like a day after it is applied to expose more aggregate. How was this installed initially?

I would think you could follow up the chain with the manufacturer and get them to send a rep out without the builder present.

Following....

JKirkChavez

Aug 19, 2019
Lewisville, TX
Originally the PB told me it was a 2 day process with plaster and then acid wash the next and immediately fill. I came home the day they plastered and it was already filling. When I inquired with my PB, after 30 mins, she text me they must have been able to do all in the same day.
I really feel my plaster should resemble the sample they gave and I paid an upgrade to get the quartz. When you spend $65,000 you expect to get what you paid for, especially when plaster is a huge part of the aesthetics.
I will contact Universal again with all the information I have gathered since they were last out and give it a last ditch effort. Stay tuned....

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
Unfortunately, you played your ace card too early (legal advice). Now, the pool builders has determined that it's worth his while to ignore you and call your bluff or deal with the legal letter if and when it comes.

Any forward movement with your pool builder now will only come after he has received a letter from your attorney.

JKirkChavez

Aug 19, 2019
Lewisville, TX
Unfortunately, you played your ace card too early (legal advice). Now, the pool builders has determined that it's worth his while to ignore you and call your bluff or deal with the legal letter if and when it comes.

Any forward movement with your pool builder now will only come after he has received a letter from your attorney.
I agree, I did that out of frustration and now it will likely cost me at least $750 just to get a letter sent

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
What is the specific wording in your contract with the PB about the plaster?

I think your legal recourse is limited about what is a cosmetic judgment issue.

JKirkChavez

Aug 19, 2019
Lewisville, TX
What is the specific wording in your contract with the PB about the plaster?

I think your legal recourse is limited about what is a cosmetic judgment issue.
There isn't anything in the contract with regards to the plaster. A picture is worth 1,000 words and it's clear to anyone that can see it or the actual pool that it doesn't match the sample I was provided when I chose the finish. I would think if you can't get at least close to the sample it would be a deceptive trade practice in Texas.