New Pool and Code Brown

Sydney Pool owner

Sep 29, 2019
Sydney Australia
So I am at work and one of my little nephews has let 3 Poo nuggets slip into the pool, they were scooped out and one broke into a few pieces, all removed within 10mins.

What I have told the wife to do so far.

1. All kids out and no more swimming (Think the kids were out in 3 seconds flat,)

2. Filter off

3. Scoop anything that looks like Poo out (Thank Goodness I cleaned the pool this morning with the robot and Brush, so it was spotless)

4. Once the pool is clear turn the SWG up to high (6) and leave running (Scale 1 - 6, I normally run on 3 or 4, its now on 6)

5. I had her add the 500grm of Shock and Swim to the skimmer basket (Aqua~Health Shock & Swim is a high oxidizer and a low chlorine level product, added to the water to remove unwanted organics and bacteria. Swimart Product)

So do I need to buy some liquid chlorine and give it a good dose and leave the filter running or should I do a Water test and then go from there?

If I add Liquide Chlorine, how much or do I have to test first

How long are the kids out of the pool for, some quick internet reading said as little as 40mins after shocking the pool, but rather not risk it.

The pool temp is 29deg Celsius
25,000litres Salt Water

Sydney Australia

P.s The Sister & Brother in Law are mortified, so I should get some good mileage out of this, I know a case of Beer is already been dropped off.

Last edited:
KD here to give a code clear on your code brown. If you think about it, humans in the pool means fecal matter is going to be in the pool regardless of the visible human waste product. Our rear’s aren’t hermetically sealed...if you catch my drift (no pun).

Many studies are finding that exposure to normal fecal matter (human, dog...) leads to a healthier set of digestive enzymes that can be problematic in a world of anti-biotics and colitis. Think about it next time you rest your head on the pillow that your ? dog Max just curled up on and proceeded to self-bathe himself on. I think you’re overthinking it. The problem is if diarrhea, or more specifically the nasty bacteria (I.e. Ecoli) that causes some diarrhea is in the equation. Even strong pool shocking will not kill the bacteria immediately. If your nephew is otherwise healthy, I’d jump in. Keep the pump running and keep the SWCG at it’s normal level. A well maintained pool is designed to kill a pretty wide swath of stuff.

I do understand though, I had a dead rat in my pool last week and shocked it with 2 gallons of chlorine, but it’s just peace of mind in case I want to get in the hot tub when the Ch levels come down.

Code brown:
-all people out
-all brown out
-pump on high
-push FC up to just under SLAM level FC/CYA Levels (do test water to see where your FC & CYA is at the time) use liquid chlorine
-let water mix for about 15 mins
-throw kids back in and have fun!

This is if it is solid. If it is not solid I would run the pump/filter for about an hour THEN clean the filter before allowing anyone in.

Reactions: Sydney Pool owner
Code brown:
-all people out
-all brown out
-pump on high
-push FC up to just under SLAM level FC/CYA Levels (do test water to see where your FC & CYA is at the time) use liquid chlorine
-let water mix for about 15 mins
-throw kids back in and have fun!

This is if it is solid. If it is not solid I would run the pump/filter for about an hour THEN clean the filter before allowing anyone in.
Kim,

This makes sense to me. We also check pH, adjust to lower end of pH recommended range, wait 30 min for mixing then throw them back in. Reason for this is lower pH significantly increases HOCL which is the more active disinfectant. We find this approach works for grand-kids very well.

Chris

Thanks all for the replies.

That makes the Cartoon beer the Brother in law dropped off, taste even better since all I had to do was not much extra than I normally would after 5 kids have swum all day.

I just confirmed it was all out, run the robot around, topped up the water and let the filter do its thing.

Will test the water this afternoon and it will be ready for this weeks string of 30+ Degree days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.