Apr 11, 2021
Oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
FC 0 CL 0 ALK 375 CH 200 PH 7.5 30,000gal
We are getting plaster (Wet Edge) in 2 weeks.
Do I need to be concerned about the high ALK levels in the water for the first fill? I know we will need a lot of muratic acid and some additional calcium. I have a Taylor Pro kit and have been practicing. I have input my levels into poolmath and am prepared with what poolmath recommends. We do have minerals because I get quite a bit of fade out in my tests. According to a Poolwerx and a Leslies we have no copper and 0.1 iron.
My plan is to try to keep Calcium around 250, PH 7.2, add CL and CYA, get those balanced and then work on lowering the TA. Any other advice? What mineral chelator does TFP recommended during initial fill? Any advice long term since the auto fill will always be high ALK?
Thank you- we have learned so much with TFP- the advice has been invaluable!8FFD218F-9A56-4A4A-949F-4CACBC8675D6.jpeg

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool. Looks nice. Don't worry too much about the TA right now. We can show you how to lower it later if time permits before the cold weather drops in. Your well and potential iron is the biggest issue. You'll definitely want to speak to the builder about the sequestrant they use, and be sure to have enough on hand for a dose or two. It would be ideal to have (fresh non-iron) water trucked in to avoid iron, but sometimes that's not practical. Consider pre-filtering the water as it goes in if needed.

Reactions: denloe

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

Reactions: denloe

denloe

Apr 11, 2021
Oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Thanks! We have tried to find water to be trucked in. I would have thought it would have been easier to find, but we haven’t had much luck. We do have a fire hydrant that we could use connected to municipal water, but pb was nervous about the force of the water that comes out with the hydrant. I have read other posts here about how to help prevent iron staining with new plaster and will use some of those methods as well. I will get some above sequestrant. I appreciate all the advice!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread