Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
Hi

so new plaster; fill started 11/7 ended 11/9 so today is post fill 16

builder added 3qt SC-1000 on 11/7 at start of fill for metals

for unclear reasons builder added another 2qt SC-1000 on 11/15 and thereafter could never get FC to rise

today have algae bloom but

TFP Start-up New Plaster says
Do not SLAM (or shock) the pool during the first 30 days

so what to do?
is Thanksgiving weekend and so builder not around

he did answer phone and said at 2 weeks post plaster shock is Ok

thank you

OH no! Okay so the first thing to do is run a full set of tests. Making double sure of the CYA. Make sure you KNOW your size of pool. We don't want to go too high with the FC.

Once you know you have the gals of your pool dialed in then push the FC up to just under SLAM level. We want to be extra careful with your new plaster. Test in 30 mins to see where it ended up at. Use that as the judge of how much to raise the FC if needed. Be very mindful of measuring your chlorine and knowing it's strength.

Brush a lot to keep the algae up into the water.

It should not take too long to clear it but will take a little longer with the extra careful approach I am suggesting.

thanks

I started the slam this morning even tho TFP says no slam first 30 days new plaster. Figured if I wait two weeks I will have total mess.

I surmise from your reply that slam < 30 days is Ok.

pool size? 25k
CYA? zero but have no sun out here so am ignoring that
CH? 330
TA? 150
FC slam goal? using 10 as if I had CYA 20

started at FC 0 and pH 7.9
have added chlorine 10% and acid 4 times today
last values were FC/CC 10/0 and pH 7.9

have brushed once, I hate brushing, never see anything save when we have pollen
have back washed twice

plan to check all again this evening
I can add chlorine/acid in the dark and I suppose I could brush in the dark

any other advice for in the dark? or tomorrow?

thanks for reply

I know you hate brushing (that is my husband's job here so REALLY do know) BUT we do NOT want algae "sticking" to that new plaster so get to brushing. Do it at least 2 times a day for now.

Best case you would not have to do a SLAM this early but it would be even worse to allow the algae to get a foot hold on the pool. We are picking the least of the bad with the very careful SLAM.

I would get some CYA in to help buffer the FC on your new plaster.

Make sure you are running the pump 24/7 while doing all of this.

Kim:kim:

I think that the SC-1000 is tetrasodium iminodisuccinate, which is a chelator/sequestrant like edta.

If you have metals like iron, you might want to add a phosphonic acid based sequestrant after the SLAM.

EDTA and tetrasodium iminodisuccinate will break down in chlorine.

The chelator/sequestrants help prevent metal stains and scaling.

If you manage the CSI and brush daily, the risk of scaling is low and you usually don't need sequestrant, but it doesn't hurt to add an initial dose.

If you don't have metals, like iron, copper, manganese etc, you shouldn't need any further sequestrant.

related query please

pool TA was 150 160 prior to SLAM; dunno why builder wanted it that high
now have backwashed 2 or 3" and can/will backwash more
if/when I refill with well water with TA 130 with pool TA diminish somewhat?

Don't forget your pH will not test right with the FC at 10 or above.

We will tweak the TA after the SLAM is done. Yes the fill water will lower the TA a bit over time. We have a faster way I will share with you but remember don't do it now. Wait for the SLAM to be done. Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

The water temp will have a big impact on your CSI so make sure to enter that into Pool Math.

I think that the SC-1000 is tetrasodium iminodisuccinate, which is a chelator/sequestrant like edta.

If you have metals like iron, you might want to add a phosphonic acid based sequestrant after the SLAM.

EDTA and tetrasodium iminodisuccinate will break down in chlorine.

The chelator/sequestrants help prevent metal stains and scaling.

If you manage the CSI and brush daily, the risk of scaling is low and you usually don't need sequestrant, but it doesn't hurt to add an initial dose.

If you don't have metals, like iron, copper, manganese etc, you shouldn't need any further sequestrant.

thanks
there is FE and MN in low amounts and skimmer baskets etc do stain yellow so a sequestrant seems indicated after startup
the builder uses Orenda stuff and so would prefer SC-1000 at maintenance does biweekly.
but we have two more weeks of the Orenda startup plan so need do nothing at present

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't forget your pH will not test right with the FC at 10 or above.

We will tweak the TA after the SLAM is done. Yes the fill water will lower the TA a bit over time. We have a faster way I will share with you but remember don't do it now. Wait for the SLAM to be done. Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

The water temp will have a big impact on your CSI so make sure to enter that into Pool Math.

TA? Ok, no rush; and with rain backwash rain backwash will likely then decline
water temp? will do

thanks

Hi

Passed OCLT this morning, dropped 11 to 10 with no CYA (but also no sun)
Looks pretty good, maybe still a little milky
45 10/0 7.8 330 160 0 LSI .21 CSI see below
Thanks for the help

Have now used the Pool Math app and the Orenda app more than anyone should in one lifetime
Both have pros/cons but I still like the browser version of Pool Math the most and since my MBP is only feet away from the pool...

But I noticed a thing; Pool Math app says CSI is .23, browser version of Pool Math says CSI is .30
have I entered something somewhere incorrectly?

Check to make sure that the numbers are all correct. All numbers matter except chlorine. Make sure that the temperature is correct.

thanks

45 degrees 7.8 330 160 0
Pool Math iOS app says .23
browser says 0.3

tried some other numbers
45 7.8 290 130 0
Pool Math iOS app says .09
browser says .17

so again no match

I think you "pro's" might check this out
like is this reproducible? or just my problem?

thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.