New paint. New water. Anything I need to know?

Household6

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After a bit of a fiasco with having to RE-repaint our pool floor (courtesy of Mother Nature) and having a new light installed, we will be refilling today.

Been using TFP method for a few years, so confident in that respect. But wondering if there’s anything I need to know about startup. (Saw the info re startup after replastering, but nothing in regards to startup after painting (with acrylic paint).

Thanks in advance for the help!

Everything I’ve seen says that modern acrylic paints (which don’t have all of the chemicals paint used to) doesn’t hold up in pools - but hopefully you will have a better experience. :) I don’t think there are different recommendations due to paint, so I’d use the standard ones.

Everything I’ve seen says that modern acrylic paints (which don’t have all of the chemicals paint used to) doesn’t hold up in pools - but hopefully you will have a better experience. :) I don’t think there are different recommendations due to paint, so I’d use the standard ones.

I don’t disagree with you (and the general consensus of the “big dawgs” in the forum re paint). However, 6-7 years ago we received quotes up to $30k to resurface our pool. Not an option. So we elected to give paint a try. We spent about $1500 and that included hiring help, renting pressure washers, sanders, and all materials. It gave us a solid five years before we needed to do it again, and we waited an additional year. (Had I realized the importance of more frequent calcium hardness testing for our pool, it very likely would have lasted longer.)

Don’t have our numbers yet for this repaint, but even if it’s $1500 that’s far more within our means every 5 years than $30k (or even $15k) every 30 years.

Our hopes are a diy plaster solution will surface between now and the next time we need to tackle this again.

Reactions: IceShadow
I say go with the classic plaster start up as paint is much close to plaster than vinyl. Startup New Plaster

I do "use" you when someone comes here and wants to paint their pool............"it can be done IF you prep it right like they did" kind of thing.

Glad to hear that! And happy to answer any questions folks may have. I’ll follow that post up with an update and other info on why I believe we didn’t get even more than 5 years out of it (calcium hardness). And also what to do if a monsoon hits before the paint cures and bubbles appear (redo it).

Reactions: kimkats
I'm going through this as well. Just painted and filled the pool. I was reading the start-up guide for the plaster pool. I'm guessing "plaster dust" wont be an issue with the paint. Did you experience any kind of paint dust or anything similar? Thanks!

I'm going through this as well. Just painted and filled the pool. I was reading the start-up guide for the plaster pool. I'm guessing "plaster dust" wont be an issue with the paint. Did you experience any kind of paint dust or anything similar? Thanks!

Sorry! Missed the notification of your post. I’m guessing your pool is full and water balanced by now, but for what it’s worth I first ran the pool pump for 24 hours. Backwashed.
Added 1/2 gallon of bleach and straightened out the alkalinity and ph.
24 hours later backwashed and rinse.
Added 1/2 gallon of bleach.
24 hours later added CYA.

It took over a week for my ice melt to be delivered. Added 75# of it as soon as it arrived. Would have been the first thing I put in if I’d had it.

So far, so good.

If you've got a can of the paint or other products you used can you add some photos here so folks who do choose to go this route have an idea of what you used?

Maddie :flower:

Our venture began here several years ago:

Check out around post #199 for the 2020 painting update. :)

Sorry! Missed the notification of your post. I’m guessing your pool is full and water balanced by now, but for what it’s worth I first ran the pool pump for 24 hours. Backwashed.
Added 1/2 gallon of bleach and straightened out the alkalinity and ph.
24 hours later backwashed and rinse.
Added 1/2 gallon of bleach.
24 hours later added CYA.

It took over a week for my ice melt to be delivered. Added 75# of it as soon as it arrived. Would have been the first thing I put in if I’d had it.

So far, so good.

Yeah, still trying to get it balanced. Ended up having leaks in the return and skimmer lines. So, we made some make shift plumbing to get us through the rest of summer. Plan on re-doing all the plumbing this fall.

And same on the ice melt haha. Finally came in yesterday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.