New Owner, What steps are next?

jjchampion

May 1, 2020
Tennessee
Hello all, i am in NE TN and have a 14x32 roughly 15k gallon saltwater inground vinyl pool new build. Water will be going in sometime this week. So my questions are very simple on whats next and what do i need to get?

So once the pool fills up, do i begin to circulate it? And if so for how many days?

I have a TF-100 on the way. What chemicals do i need to purchase (i.e. salt etc)?

When do i start adding these things to the pool?

When can i cover the pool with a solar cover?

Any help to these questions would be great to get me going in the right direction.

Welcome to the forum:wave:
Think of your path to a clear pool as a roadmap to some destination. Before we can give you the directions, we need to know your starting point. That means post up your test results as soon as your kit gets to you and we'll go from there.

Your test kit will probably arrive before your pool is filled.......that a good thing.

Practice by testing your fill water and then posting the results like this....

FC
CC
pH
TA

Your CYA will be zero so no need to test.

If for some reason, your pool will be filled before you get your kit, let us know.

Welcome to the forum:wave:
Think of your path to a clear pool as a roadmap to some destination. Before we can give you the directions, we need to know your starting point. That means post up your test results as soon as your kit gets to you and we'll go from there.

Your test kit will probably arrive before your pool is filled.......that a good thing.

Practice by testing your fill water and then posting the results like this....

FC
CC
pH
TA

Your CYA will be zero so no need to test.

If for some reason, your pool will be filled before you get your kit, let us know.

Ok. Water is in and circulating. Added some liquid chlorine. Here are my results so far.

FC - 2.5
CC- 2
pH 7.5
TA- 110

Based on this what do i need to do?

When can i start adding salt?

When can i cover with Solar Cover?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Get 30 ppm of CYA granules dissolving using the sock method.
Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

You can add salt at any time. Only add half and test again prior to adding the balance.
Keep adding liquid chlorine every day to get to 6-8 ppm FC.

You can put the solar cover on at anytime.

Get 30 ppm of CYA granules dissolving using the sock method.
Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

You can add salt at any time. Only add half and test again prior to adding the balance.
Keep adding liquid chlorine every day to get to 6-8 ppm FC.

You can put the solar cover on at anytime.
While adding the salt, at what point do i turn the salt chlorinator on? I have been adding salt without the chlorinator on.

Turn your SWCG on 24 hours after you add the last amount of salt you need. You want it to be well mixed. Brushing, kids in the pool, etc will mix the salt.

Turn your SWCG on 24 hours after you add the last amount of salt you need. You want it to be well mixed. Brushing, kids in the pool, etc will mix the salt.
Here is my numbers this morning.
Fc 7.5
pH 7.5
Cya 30 (still in sock soaking from yesterday evening)
Ta 90
Salt 3400

Im thinking all of my numbers are looking good. Any suggestions on what to set the salt chlorinator on (50)?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.