Mar 10, 2021
Indianapolis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey everyone,
We finally closed on our house and now are new pool owners. Everything is going well overall. The pool inspection identified a few things that we are getting addressed. One that I can’t figure out is the motor for the hydraulic autocover.

When trying to open the cover, it trips the GFCI outlet by the pool equipment. So a bandaid fix was to run an extension cord to the next closest outlet. I was doubtful this would work since an extension cord would make things worse but it did! First try it opened right away.

Later that night I went to close it and it then popped the GFCI for that outlet. I reset it. It popped again. Reset one more time and it closed right up.

It’s been closed for 2 weeks now since we have been gone. Went to open it and it popped again.

my knowledge of electric motor load/components is limited but I am guessing that this is a sign of something on the board for the motor is bad and it keeps tripping the circuit. Any ideas?

I know this type of system is old so I’m not sure if we replace the motor or convert to some other system. The hydraulic pump connected to the cover looks old but the motor that’s on the equipment pad looks somewhat recent….relatively speaking.

I would replace the electric motor. The motor probably has some corrosion that is leaking electricity causing the GFCI trip.

I would replace the electric motor. The motor probably has some corrosion that is leaking electricity causing the GFCI trip.
I was thinking that or the switch. But I then read the switch is a trigger so that seems unlikely. Would be nice to get my hands on a wiring diagram.

can I replace just the electric drive portion or does it need to be the entire unit with the hydraulic tank as well?

I would guess the motor alone can be replaced. Post some pics of the motor and hydraulic drive.

So have an update -

I took apart each of the connections and found one of the wires was loose inside of the wire cap. Once I fixed that, the cover motor has been running consistently!

Fingers crossed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.