New Owner, Old VERY Neglected Pool

TurbineTester

Aug 4, 2019
Warner Robins, GA
I like the rain pics... very soothing

I like the old pools with their old fashioned implements of destruction, Slides, diving boards and such.

So is that a vine running along the roof or a tree growing out of the wall? That's quite a fixer you got there.. besides the pool!
It is a vine of some sort. It started at the base of the cedar siding then has now grown up all the way to the peak of the metal roof.

TurbineTester

Aug 4, 2019
Warner Robins, GA
Pics after two hours of swimming, diving and water sliding yesterday. Added the bumper to the second diving board tube. I decided to leave the Polaris of for the night and just let the pump and sand filter work. There is nothing on the bottom of the pool usually.
FC-13 added 1 g of bleach
I put a small about of DE in the filter. It had no noticable effect on the psi .

Attachments

TurbineTester

Aug 4, 2019
Warner Robins, GA
Morning pics and test. Filter at 19-20 psi. Backwashed and added 1/2 cup of DE. Pool was noticably clearer than last night. Can clearly make out the Polaris and finally for the first time see the bottom drain from outside the water in the deep end. I think the small amount of DE I added yesterday after swimming may be helping clear the water faster than just the sand filter by itself, or it could possibly be that turning off the booster pump allows things to filter better in the sand filter, or it could just be the chlorine working. Too many variables at this stage to know for sure.

FC-14.5
Added 2 quarts of LC

Attachments

Chrissykr

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
Morning pics and test. Filter at 19-20 psi. Backwashed and added 1/2 cup of DE. Pool was noticably clearer than last night. Can clearly make out the Polaris and finally for the first time see the bottom drain from outside the water in the deep end. I think the small amount of DE I added yesterday after swimming may be helping clear the water faster than just the sand filter by itself, or it could possibly be that turning off the booster pump allows things to filter better in the sand filter, or it could just be the chlorine working. Too many variables at this stage to know for sure.

FC-14.5
Added 2 quarts of LC
One of the best things you can do right now is let the kids swim. It keeps the water stirred up and you have family time. Win, win.

TurbineTester

Aug 4, 2019
Warner Robins, GA
I was just going to mention this - looks like where you sort of need to be color-wise with a tan liner.
I'm not sure its tan. Seems to me when I look closely there are some tan "grains" in the liner, but the majority of the pattern is grey. One of the pics is a close up of the liner from the side/corner which I believe area the least sun. Pics from yesterday around 5.
FC-9.5 Added 1.5g of LC

Attachments

TurbineTester

Aug 4, 2019
Warner Robins, GA
Pics this morning. Also the pics of the skimmer so I can locate a wier and possibly replacement cover.

FC-13.5, added 3 quarts LC

Attachments

Reactions: CarolD

frogabog

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I'm curious about the aforementioned pic, where it looks rather clear to see the liner in the shallow end, yet it's still green. Seems to me that clarity like that would be a bit bluer and on the other side of green.

Have you tested for metals yet?

TurbineTester

Aug 4, 2019
Warner Robins, GA
I'm curious about the aforementioned pic, where it looks rather clear to see the liner in the shallow end, yet it's still green. Seems to me that clarity like that would be a bit bluer and on the other side of green.

Have you tested for metals yet?
I haven't tested for metals, but I will say that the shallow end looks fairly blue to me in person, and that there are fairly sizable areas where there are light brown stains on the liner. I *think that may be what is showing up and a green tint??? There are also several areas where the slopes of the liner meet the sides or bottom that have dark brown stains.

frogabog

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Portland, Oregon
That's really clear looking for the deep end. It wouldn't be the worst idea to take a sample to the pool store to check for metals. It wouldn't be surprising if someone before you dumped a ton of copper algaecide in the water.

TurbineTester

Aug 4, 2019
Warner Robins, GA
No update since Thursday? I’ve been following like my daily soap opera. Is the pool clear now?
Haha I love you guys here are some pics from Thursday around noon.

Attachments

TurbineTester

Aug 4, 2019
Warner Robins, GA
These are Thursday afternoon and I tried to show the stains on the liner. All the dark spots you see are stains.

Attachments

TurbineTester

Aug 4, 2019
Warner Robins, GA
And Friday afternoon.
Each time I visited I dosed LC up to SLAM level. With several backwashes my CYA was a little low so I put 33 oz of powdered stabilizer in a sock.

Attachments