New Northeastern Pa Build

still. . . rocking and rolling. . . last load of rock tomorrow. i have literally 30 square feet of pool area left! holy cow! then just my garden and i am done! well speakers and lighting.

I'm having landscape lighting issues. we know we want path lighting for the path to be puddles. but we want path lights that spread for around pool. kitchener can't tell me which models do that. they said it depends on the style of hat. so i said ok which hats give u those spreads. nothing. they don't know. all i know is the 2 samples i have do each of what we want but i really don't like the one style. so what i'm trying to go is buy 1 copy of any light i can get my hands on that can be returned. hook em up see what they look like in the dark and then mass order. problem is the place i buy from didn't do an order this year cause of. . . surprise suprise. . . so they are seeing what they have in stock that can be returned. i'm sure its the most expensive odd ball ones from last year. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: bmoreswim
Figured I would post some pics of this seasons growth. Everything is exposing here. I’m still pleased with how it all turned out. I still can’t get over how much my father and myself did last spring into summer.

Attachments

• AEEF3FEB-0838-43FB-9B3E-6BFE60D57FA4.jpeg
    AEEF3FEB-0838-43FB-9B3E-6BFE60D57FA4.jpeg
    860.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 46578845-4516-4674-A921-833529A21470.jpeg
    46578845-4516-4674-A921-833529A21470.jpeg
    865.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 418EE903-A072-4FD1-AA0F-622F40BFDF14.jpeg
    418EE903-A072-4FD1-AA0F-622F40BFDF14.jpeg
    974.2 KB · Views: 51
  • D5D074FA-C4C5-456D-8F25-C7E581B50196.jpeg
    D5D074FA-C4C5-456D-8F25-C7E581B50196.jpeg
    959 KB · Views: 46
  • E7BC6AD8-EDEA-4EEC-A3E8-7DFB4BC8C64F.jpeg
    E7BC6AD8-EDEA-4EEC-A3E8-7DFB4BC8C64F.jpeg
    930.5 KB · Views: 45
  • ACAF998D-E3B2-4A73-AF77-7DAB258815C4.jpeg
    ACAF998D-E3B2-4A73-AF77-7DAB258815C4.jpeg
    933.1 KB · Views: 45

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok people. . . im still here but life is nutty. I just work and work and work and work. . . .

few little things pool and life related. . .

winter sucked. as those who know me I am a winter pool watcher. I keep my water low to stay of the tile. I vac out my skimmers so they don't freeze up or overflow and cause issues. well I was able to keep the water low but after a huge snow melt and then 2 nights of deep freezes my skimmers overflowed and the water must have froze and got behind my plaster right below the mouth. there was an open gap between the tile and plaster. its my fault. when we closed I said I'll seal it up when its warmer in spring. I watch the skimmers. never thought such a small amount of snow melt would cause so much water melt. so below a pic. BOTH skimmers exact same thing. both seams were open. so when I saw it the rest of the winter I kept the snow away from the skimmer lids and no more water in skimmers.. well very little. I was p*&%ed to say the least. so we waited till it warmed up. I opened the pool a bit later cause we wanted to repair wit the cover still on cause we didn't want the steps exposed if it was a warm sunny day. they fixed both skimmers. under theater you can't even tell. we think once the new plaster seasons with the sun it will catch up to the regular plaster. I actually bought a whole bag of diamond bite super blue so we could do an exact match. well as close as possible. I'm glad I didn't do some crazy special mix cause matching it would have been a pain. so while the water was still low my builder had be go around the whole premier of the pool and check everything. we found a few tiles in one area that was not loose but the grout lines were cracked and they sounded a bit hollow. so we pulled them. 20 only. top row. I have 2x2's. I also found a bunch of silicone seams between the coping and tile that were getting worn so I wasn't taking any chances. scraped them out and repaired. perfect. ok last thing. some of my barber pavers off the coping got lower. I had a bit of settlement. the whole pad dropped like 1/4 inch. but like not a crack found under the pavers we pulled in the concrete pour. the pool deff didn't move cause there would be cracks and tile issues so the whole pad dropped. all the pavers are perfect except the 1st row that touch the coping so they were pulled today. cleaned, labeled and ready to be reset. we are going to mix some type s to place the pavers in so they don't move again. this settlement happened year below last we waited till now to make sure no more movement. none that we know. I also silicone sealed the joint line where the pool beam meets the concrete pour. we have expansion joint. I just topped it off.

so there is my winter saga. im still upset I caused the skimmer issues. funny thing is the tile in the skimmer mouth didn't move at all. the pressure of the water freezing and pushing was less by the plaster vs tile so thats why the plaster popped we think also. those tile are in there solid! wish it was the tile. my builder said this never happened and no one watches thier skimmers like me. only thing we can think of is the open gap between the tile month and plaster was enough for water to get behind and travel path of least resistance.

on 2 lighter notes cause I like to share with you guys. I have met a lot of great people on here over the years. those that also know me know I love to fish. so I finally bought a bass boat. I searched for 2 seasons. im lucky that each of my buddies all own different types of boats. bass, deep v's, river jets so I was able to really decide what was right for me. I settled on a Vexus. a new company but not run and built by a legend in the boat world. Vexus was started a few years ago by Forrest Woods. He left Ranger when Ranger it was bought out by Bass pro. He built Vexus to be the original and now better Ranger. The company is amazing they even sent me pics of my boat being built at the factory. I was even able to switch things up on the fly as it was being built. Amazing company and the dealer I bought it from even better people. And I didn't buy one of thier 100k glass boats. I got thier little ol 18 foot bass tin boat but the attention to detail on even this much much cheaper boat is just awesome. My 1 buddy has a triton which was also a ranger brand. same boat back in the day. he has owned a ton of different boats. he is really impressed. he keeps saying "man they just did everything right". lol. that makes me feel good.

and since my wife let me buy a boat well I had to give in a get her a new dog. I have been putting it off for 2 years now. well she got her new little girl. . . Lexi. The next day her sister drove the 4 hours and bought 1 of the other girls so they could both grow up together. Ours id the brown. Katie's is the black. So our 2 year old cocker now has a sister. he is handling it ok we think. only been 1 week so far but all is ok so far. lol

well thats everything. I applaud anyone who read all that. I can't share my pool story with anyone else. no one will appreciate it. they just think im nuts for not having a liner in NEPA.

Hope everyone is doing well!!

Attachments

• IMG_7504.jpg
    IMG_7504.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5515.jpg
    IMG_5515.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5591.jpg
    IMG_5591.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5598.jpg
    IMG_5598.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7839.jpg
    IMG_7839.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 40
I appreciate it! Good work!

But, wait, if she gets two dogs (Lexi and the two-year-old), do you get to buy another boat? Do you have to wait two years? Please post the contract so we can review the fine print!

Appreciate it here too, especially after I just came inside fixing my issues for the year too. Fortunately no tile or skimmer issues but one of my valves for the floor drains failed and let the air lock free and it froze and burst. I caught it in February and it was an ordeal to fix but I don’t think it’s leaking. I’ll find out tomorrow when I’m not working on it in the dark!

I appreciate it! Good work!

But, wait, if she gets two dogs (Lexi and the two-year-old), do you get to buy another boat? Do you have to wait two years? Please post the contract so we can review the fine print!
Hey dirk. Good to hear from you! Lol. This boat went from a little Jon boat to a blown out bass boat. Yes it’s not some crazy fiberglass rig but I got every piece of electronic toys the big boys all have.

I think the fine print is when I retire if we end up down the beach I’m allowed an ocean boat if I can handle one by then. Lol. But that’s a min 15 years off. So I’m pretty sure I got the shaft in the fine print. Bit it’s all good. I got a boat for the family now! The kids love being out. We used to take them on my buddies boat but I always felt bad. My one friend loves taking them cause his grandkids are older now and don’t like to go anymore so he gets a kick out of taking them.

Kristen is very very happy also with Oliver and Lexi. I am too. They are good dogs even if Oliver looks miserable in the 1 pick. He is full of it cause he lays somewhat near her during the day.

Reactions: Dirk
Appreciate it here too, especially after I just came inside fixing my issues for the year too. Fortunately no tile or skimmer issues but one of my valves for the floor drains failed and let the air lock free and it froze and burst. I caught it in February and it was an ordeal to fix but I don’t think it’s leaking. I’ll find out tomorrow when I’m not working on it in the dark!
Ahhhhh! Wait so what do you have to do them? So it failed up at the pad so water was able to flow up through the floor drain? So assume that below frost line is all good causexthe water wouldn’t freeze? But in that 4 or so upper feet is where you could have an issue? I’m sorry! I’m always afraid of that. My builder actually said to his one guy when we opened. That hey look the floor drains are still holding air perfect. That made me think wait I know that’s a good thing but does that mean it might soon not be?

Ahhhhh! Wait so what do you have to do them? So it failed up at the pad so water was able to flow up through the floor drain? So assume that below frost line is all good causexthe water wouldn’t freeze? But in that 4 or so upper feet is where you could have an issue? I’m sorry! I’m always afraid of that. My builder actually said to his one guy when we opened. That hey look the floor drains are still holding air perfect. That made me think wait I know that’s a good thing but does that mean it might soon not be?
Yup, that’s exactly right! It froze and cracked right below the valve at the pad. I don’t know if the valve just never held air completely and it was just extra cold this year or if it failed this year. Fortunately it didn’t fail underground because that would’ve sucked even more for many reasons! It seems like we’re just waiting for failure on these winterizations when your pad is below the waterline but I can’t think of any other way to winterize a floor drain.

Yup, that’s exactly right! It froze and cracked right below the valve at the pad. I don’t know if the valve just never held air completely and it was just extra cold this year or if it failed this year. Fortunately it didn’t fail underground because that would’ve sucked even more for many reasons! It seems like we’re just waiting for failure on these winterizations when your pad is below the waterline but I can’t think of any other way to winterize a floor drain.
I hear yah. We are at the mercy of winter. There is only so much we can do. I almost want to talk to my builder about putting new valves on every few years but then you might just make issues for urself. Ur pool is about same age as mine. We built around same time right? 2016-17 ish?

I hear yah. We are at the mercy of winter. There is only so much we can do. I almost want to talk to my builder about putting new valves on every few years but then you might just make issues for urself. Ur pool is about same age as mine. We built around same time right? 2016-17 ish?
I imagine a new valve can fail too and you wouldn’t know if it had a slow air leak like mine. It seemed to be holding air fine when I closed it. I considered adding in some threaded ports or something so I could add in antifreeze but decided against it because of comments here that the water will just displace the antifreeze anyway.

Yes mine was built in 2018. I should probably go back and update my thread with all the things I wish I’d done when I was building it. 😄

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.