NEW, need some advice on slamming

I am in Louisiana and new to forum have been reading and ready to get some help. Started out 2 weeks ago with a green swamp, as my pump was not running all winter.
Got a lot of debris out of bottom and more or less started the slamming process. Not really sure I have been consistent enough but none the less, trying.
My water is now cloudy blue and I can see down about 1-1/2 feet. here are my stats from tonight:

FC 7.5
CC 25
ph 7.0
Alk 80
CYA 35

I think most of debris is now off bottom, considering using drop out to clear water and then start slamming process over. HELP! What should I do?

using tk2006 test kit.

15x30 above ground vinyl, sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, first time to try chlorine used bacquacil for about 5 years, last year used FROG system and after reading forum want to try BBB system

Welcome to tfp!

I would not try to use any magic potions at this point. It looks like you just are not maintaining your FC high enough for your cya level to really be following the slam process.

So actually I forgot to calculate my CC last night after test and it was actually 1.25 (still high I know)
FC 7.5
CC 1.25
ph 7.0
Alk 80
CYA 35

The water is getting more clear every day. I do see the light!!! but, a couple of questions:
1. Will the water actually become clear with out the " drop out" (is that called foculant?)
2. I have sand filter and did not change sand. Can I get pool clear and sand clear without changing?
3. When doing the CYA measurement, do you go until you cant see the dot at all. There is a few drops where you question whether you can see it or not.
4. Does it help to keep FC higher than the suggested FC level on chart (mine should be 14) or is that a waste of chlorine?

How did you get a cc of 1.25? That is not a multiple of a typical drop increment.

1. Yes. The filter just needs time to clear it up ... how long did the pool sit neglected? Don't expect it to clear up instantly ;)
2. There is rarely ever a point to changing sand ... a Deep Clean can be good ... and if the cloudy is taking very long to clear, adding some DE can help.
3. Yes. All the way gone. Best in bright outdoor light with the sun to your back, holding the tube between 2 fingers at the top at waist level
4. It is safe to go a little above, puts your liner and equipment at a slightly higher risk of damage. Do NOT take it above mustard algae level.

Well, maybe I made up the 1.25 !!! It took 2 drops but was a teency bit -slightly pink so I put a third drop but thought maybe it didnt really need a whole drop (i am a newbie-just making it up as I go, until now)

OK, so should I call that 3 drops?

Pool set neglected for 5 months (I had never done that before, but life just got in the way), I don't mind waiting for this process to work, just wanting to make sure i am doing the right thing.
Although I have had my pool for 5 or 6 years, I feel like I am just now understanding (ever so slightly) the chemistry of its maintenance. Excited to get it clear and try to maintain it without the pool store.

Yes just count whole drops to reach the endpoint. Remember that most tests you run until the last drop makes no color change and then you don't count that last drop.

You are well on your way to understanding your pools chemistry and having a great tfp all summer!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water still cloudy but I can see down 2-2.5 feet. I added chlorine earlier to bring FC up to 14 (it was 7) but now 4 or 5 hours later it is FC is 21.
O have bee consistently getting CC of .5
Just wondering how much longer it could take for cloudiness to subside.
I havent retested ph or alk so going on old readings.
FC 21
CC .5
ph 7.0
Alk 80
CYA 35
I havent done overnight test because water is not clear. What should I do?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.