NE Oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Jumper the firemans switch terminals together at the heater. No need to connect this to the IC. The only connection is the RS-485 wires.

--Jeff

Reactions: tomas21

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Is there any preferred RS-485 outdoor / shielded rated cables folks like to use so I can order some more?

Use a Cat-5 cable.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
The guide says to use the black wire, but I don't think that it is necessary.

You can get 4-wire cable or 2-wire cable.

The 4-wire cable will allow you to connect the black, so that requires 3 total wires.

If you are just going to connect the Yellow and green data wires, you can get 2 wire cable.

It's probably safer to get the 4 wire cable just in case adding the black wire makes a difference.

Last edited:

Turbo1Ton

Gold Supporter
Dec 26, 2019
NE Oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
So, new board did not do anything to correct the Cool Down mode issue. Heater will run through the cool down mode just fine, when not connected to the RS-485 bus, but when communicating with the IntelliCenter, it will not ever exit Cool Down mode.

@tomas21 - Would be curious to hear if you are seeing the same issues.

--Jeff

tomas21

Gold Supporter
Jan 24, 2020
Southern California
So, new board did not do anything to correct the Cool Down mode issue. Heater will run through the cool down mode just fine, when not connected to the RS-485 bus, but when communicating with the IntelliCenter, it will not ever exit Cool Down mode.

@tomas21 - Would be curious to hear if you are seeing the same issues.

--Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I don't think I can perform the cool down test until our plumber adds the Spa Bypass valve near our heater that was missed during the pad plumbing installation. (Hopefully I can test within next month or so)

I will perform the following test on our Pentair MasterTemp 400 mfg 5/2021 with the latest Intellicenter i10PS after our spa bypass is plumbed and wired to the MasterTemp 400.

Test 1 (Heater Bypass with intellivalve wired up to MasterTemp port on board (BP_VLV Connector) and RS-485 from heater control board to free com port on IntelliCenter)
  1. Connect RS-485 from MasterTemp 400 control board to a free com port on the IntelliCenter
  2. Reconfigure IntelliCenter to make sure it is seeing the MasterTemp 400 via the RS-485 vs. the previous 2-wire setup
  3. Reconfigure MasterTemp 400 to enable the BP-VALVE (By-pass Valve)--
    When the BYPASS VALVE feature is enabled and there is a call for heat, the by-pass valve closes to allow
    water to flow through the heater. It takes 30 seconds for the bypass valve to rotate to the closed position. This allows
    the valve to complete rotation so there is sufficient water flow and pressure to prevent the water pressure switch from
    trigging an error. When the call for heat ends, the water flow continues through the heat exchanger for a cool down
    period of one minute. After the cool down period, the by-pass valve will rotate so that water no longer flows through
    the heater.
  4. Make a call for heat from the IntelliCenter or Pentair app for our spa
  5. Confirm the Bypass valve turns to correct position, heater turns on and starts producing heat in spa
  6. Turn off heat for spa, monitor the cool down period and then confirm that the valve open's to "bypass the heater"
    1. Monitor to see results to ensure heater exits cool down stage and opens bypass valve when complete
Note: I will be wiring up the RS-485 to control the heater in the coming week and off the current 2-wire fireman setup (fireman will be set back to its jumper configuration on the heater)

Last edited:

Turbo1Ton

Gold Supporter
Dec 26, 2019
NE Oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Reconfigure MasterTemp 400 to enable the BP-VALVE (By-pass Valve)--
When the BYPASS VALVE feature is enabled and there is a call for heat, the by-pass valve closes to allow
water to flow through the heater. It takes 30 seconds for the bypass valve to rotate to the closed position. This allows
the valve to complete rotation so there is sufficient water flow and pressure to prevent the water pressure switch from
trigging an error. When the call for heat ends, the water flow continues through the heat exchanger for a cool down
period of one minute. After the cool down period, the by-pass valve will rotate so that water no longer flows through
the heater.

Didn't realize yours wasn't 100% complete yet.

FYI - You have to set this up in the heater menu, prior to wiring up the RS-485. Once the RS-485 is detected, you cannot access the heater menu any longer.

Will be curious to see your results. I checked this morning and at some point, the heater finally came out of cool down mode. The display only said off and had quit flashing between off and cool down on the second line. I am going to run my heater for a bit today, and note when I turn it off, then check every 30 minutes to an hour to see when it goes off.

--Jeff