New member...

Monkeymom1999

May 7, 2019
Virginia
We’ve had a 22,000 gallon in ground pool since 2002. Same pump, replaced liner 1x, new valve on sand filter last year. Added salt chlorinator 2017. Salt chlorinator is no longer working as of 2 weeks ago when we opened the pool. So without seeing the need to spend $500 plus on a new salt cell we have gone back to chlorine.

This year I’m trying the bleach to maintain my pool. Am waiting on the taylor kit (ordered last week but amazon seller is slow to ship) that checks the cya to see if we need to drain some water from the pool before slamming.

Hoping to see an easier to care for pool since I found your site.
Nice to meet you all!!!

Nope... but that was my first thought when we flipped the switch and flashing lights on the salt cell. We've had almost 14 days of 80+ here in southern VA. Thanks though! We took it to our local (and hour away) pool store and they agree. The casing where it's seamed (Pentair Intellichlor IC40) looks cracked. We even tried putting silicone over the crack (it's barely noticeable but long). It just won't hold due to the amount of pressure put upon it. Everything was drained properly for the winter but we are guessing water sitting on it and we had quite a few freezes this year caused it to crack. The cell looks brand new, but you cannot order a replacement outer case without ordering a whole new cell.

I'm ok going back to chlorine, as both of my dogs swim and neither loved the salt water. I just want to get it running, cleaned so we an swim. We've had numerous 90+ days already. Going away from the salt also allows us to hook back up the heater and get a longer swim time. SO there is a plus to it.

Welcome! :wave: Well, sorry to hear about the SWG, but chlorine (aka regular bleach) is just fine as well. I'm still dumpin' jugs. :) Browse our site and make sure to read the following while waiting on your kit to arrive:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
FC/CYA Levels
PoolMath

Plus, I have several Vital Links below that you'll want to save as well. Last, make sure to update your signature. Have a nice evening.

Thanks! While waiting for the kit (it has the fas test I need to know for the SLAM) I’ve been scooping leaves and pollen chunks that fell in when we pulled the cover off. I’m reading everything I can from the TFP site. I’m determined to have a gorgeous pool in 2 weeks! Usually takes 4 weeks or more. Plus the $$$ the pool store said I needed.

Reactions: Texas Splash