Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi folks,
I am just now refilling our pool. Our pool contractor did some plaster repair to an area that was rust-stained.
We have a 22,000 gal. SWG pool with solar-heated and love it. However, we have a calcium nodule problem.
We sanded down the modules while the pool was empty and the plaster repairs were being done, so all good (for now)...

Would like to avoid having more nodules in the future, but not totally sure why they happened in the first place...
Our tap water is low on calcium but over the last 4 years, the CH levels have become really high (over 1000ppm).
The contractor states that the high CH levels are causing the nodules, but that doesn't make sense to me, based on what I've read here on the forums.

We are going to have a pool maintenance company do the initial water balancing, once the pool is full tomorrow.
Hoping you guys can help me keep the chemistry where it should be to avoid further problems.
Thanks!

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Calcium nodules are caused by plaster delamination. The calcium in your water is not the cause and an innocent bystander to the root cause. Read…

eeth22

May 11, 2021
Woodland Hills, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Thanks for the article, Allen! much appreciated.
And yes, this was a replastering job, when we bought the house 5 years ago.
Of course, the contractor says it's a water maintenance issue (our fault) vs. a plaster bonding issue (his fault and under warranty)...

Anybody out there ever had any success on winning that argument and getting warranty coverage for replastering?
Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice would be appreciated.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
If @Dirk is around he can tell you that you have strong consumer protection regulations against contractors in CA. He has won some cases.

@onBalance may have a view on how to handle it within the industry.

How bad are your nodules? Can you post some pics?

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread