New member pool planning in N. Atlanta - Construction Completed 7/2022

I have Pentairs version of the dolphin s200..Simple and love it. I am not familiar with that version so can't comment

I would get the 580 sq ft filter even if your builder thinks your nuts :) You will thank me next May :) shouldn't be but maybe a few hundred bucks more. No real downside except cost and size

Big day for us... We signed the contract! 🥳 The city permitting process is notoriously long here, and they told us to plan for 6 months until they break ground. Hopefully, with any luck it will be late in the calendar year so they can get shotcrete in before the rainy season. Otherwise, we'll have plenty of time to pick out materials and work on some tree removal. Here are some more rendering shots. We'll finalize the depth profile (3.5' - 8') as part of the plan for the city, and they're going to paint out the pool shape location beforehand so we can finalize tanning ledge size and steps. I'm thinking I may widen the ledge, and have the steps come further into the pool and/or even be wide to mirror the tanning ledge. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 2021_CK_011.jpg
    2021_CK_011.jpg
    616.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 2021_CK_009.jpg
    2021_CK_009.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 2021_CK_010.jpg
    2021_CK_010.jpg
    617.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 2021_CK_007.jpg
    2021_CK_007.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 2021_CK_008.jpg
    2021_CK_008.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: joel98z
Congrats! I look forward to seeing how it comes along. Oh, and hello...Georgia (and also Marietta'ish (East Snobb)) native here!

Big day for us... We signed the contract! 🥳 The city permitting process is notoriously long here, and they told us to plan for 6 months until they break ground. Hopefully, with any luck it will be late in the calendar year so they can get shotcrete in before the rainy season. Otherwise, we'll have plenty of time to pick out materials and work on some tree removal. Here are some more rendering shots. We'll finalize the depth profile (3.5' - 8') as part of the plan for the city, and they're going to paint out the pool shape location beforehand so we can finalize tanning ledge size and steps. I'm thinking I may widen the ledge, and have the steps come further into the pool and/or even be wide to mirror the tanning ledge. Thoughts?
I don't think I would change a thing. I like to walk form the house to the pool without walking on grass and looks like you have that part taken care of :)

Just a mini update. We've started the permitting process, and figured out that we'll need a new survey. Our previous survey was done in 2009 for a fence replacement, and it did not contain topo lines or trees. We tried contacting them to do an update, but unfortunately they merged with another company and are only doing commercial surveys at this point. Less than a month in, and already unexpected costs :LOL:... Our city is notorious for being a PITA in regards to permitting though, and the PB is indicating that this will make it go a lot easier, so I'm going to stick with their advice. We're also using one of their recommended surveyors who's been through it before.

• Wow
Reactions: markayash
Just a mini update. We've started the permitting process, and figured out that we'll need a new survey. Our previous survey was done in 2009 for a fence replacement, and it did not contain topo lines or trees. We tried contacting them to do an update, but unfortunately they merged with another company and are only doing commercial surveys at this point. Less than a month in, and already unexpected costs :LOL:... Our city is notorious for being a PITA in regards to permitting though, and the PB is indicating that this will make it go a lot easier, so I'm going to stick with their advice. We're also using one of their recommended surveyors who's been through it before.
Similar thing happened to me. Our septic survey, on file with county, was inaccurate.. So we had to find a licensed septic person to come out and do an "as-built" survey for the PB... Our first unforeseen extra $$$$

• Wow
Reactions: markayash
It will be even more painful if we have any specimen trees within 30' of the grading. If so, the City will make us have an arborist come out out to determine that we can proceed without substantial impact. The good news is that the only specimen trees that I'm aware of are 100' or more away.

So our permitting request, site plan, and accompanying info has all been submitted to the city for review/approval *fingers crossed*. The site plan is as detailed as I've ever seen, so hopefully our builder has accounted for everything. They needed to include a rain garden due to the amount of impervious surface. My wife is actually excited for this aspect, as it will take care of some of the landscaping, and she had considered doing one anyway. There are also details regarding erosion control, and impact/mitigation for any trees located in a 30' radius of the ground disturbance. Luckily, we don't have any impacted specimen trees, so one less thing to account for. It's taking on average 2 months for the city to approve, so with any luck, we could break ground before calendar year end!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So our permitting request, site plan, and accompanying info has all been submitted to the city for review/approval *fingers crossed*. The site plan is as detailed as I've ever seen, so hopefully our builder has accounted for everything. They needed to include a rain garden due to the amount of impervious surface. My wife is actually excited for this aspect, as it will take care of some of the landscaping, and she had considered doing one anyway. There are also details regarding erosion control, and impact/mitigation for any trees located in a 30' radius of the ground disturbance. Luckily, we don't have any impacted specimen trees, so one less thing to account for. It's taking on average 2 months for the city to approve, so with any luck, we could break ground before calendar year end!
Are you guys in Milton?

Are you guys in Milton?
Close. We're in Alpharetta on the Johns Creek border. Our subdivision was originally Fulton County unincorporated but was annexed back in 2004. Everything else nearby that was still unincorporated got swallowed up when Johns Creek formed in 2006. Shame, since permitting in Johns Creek is apparently much easier.

Hey DR !!! Are you putting a drain pipe in ? It would be worth it’s weight in gold as you guys get pretty wet. As the water reaches a certain height it just flows out the skimmer or wall drain and you never know.

Also, with or without a drain, I’ll suggest a waste valve right before the filter. You turn a handle and it redirects the flow downhill to the woods, bypassing the pool. It came in handy many times, not needing to drag out the submersible pump / hose / extension cord. The time saved watching the pool pump do it through 2 inch plumbing and not a garden hose was also awesome.

Hey DR !!! Are you putting a drain pipe in ? It would be worth it’s weight in gold as you guys get pretty wet. As the water reaches a certain height it just flows out the skimmer or wall drain and you never know.

Also, with or without a drain, I’ll suggest a waste valve right before the filter. You turn a handle and it redirects the flow downhill to the woods, bypassing the pool. It came in handy many times, not needing to drag out the submersible pump / hose / extension cord. The time saved watching the pool pump do it through 2 inch plumbing and not a garden hose was also awesome.
Hey Newdude! Yes, they're doing both a deck drain and an overflow drain. Our contract includes grading and drainage out to 10' beyond the hardscape perimeter. Any additional grading or trenching of drain, and we will be responsible for material costs and tractor time. Our property backs up to about 350' of creek frontage, so i'm not sure what the rules are relative to bypass, but I'll certainly ask. One way or another, eventually all water is going to hit the creek! It's been a crazy year for rainfall in Georgia, and we have certainly been wet, so I definitely want to get the drainage right during construction.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
Just a minor update. We have comments back from the city permitting office, and the issues they want addressed are relatively minor, so that is very good news!. Our PB thinks they'll be able to break ground in December, which would put us in a great place to be in by next season.

Just a minor update. We have comments back from the city permitting office, and the issues they want addressed are relatively minor, so that is very good news!. Our PB thinks they'll be able to break ground in December, which would put us in a great place to be in by next season.
Have to let me know how you like the PB. I want to get a pool cover and not sure who to call in our area.

Have to let me know how you like the PB. I want to get a pool cover and not sure who to call in our area.
What are you using for automation? My PB is exclusively Jandy/Zodiac, so they do Cover Pools, Cover-Pools Automatic Safety Pool Covers for Any Pool Shape or Size, custom covers. You could absolutely use them, but the one thing you may miss out on is full compatibility with your existing automation. I know with Jandy Aqualink, you get one touch control via their app, and it will also turn off water features, lower pump levels and SWG output, etc. when the cover is closed.

What are you using for automation? My PB is exclusively Jandy/Zodiac, so they do Cover Pools, Cover-Pools Automatic Safety Pool Covers for Any Pool Shape or Size, custom covers. You could absolutely use them, but the one thing you may miss out on is full compatibility with your existing automation. I know with Jandy Aqualink, you get one touch control via their app, and it will also turn off water features, lower pump levels and SWG output, etc. when the cover is closed.
I am old school, I adjust by hand :) Thanks I will check it out.

It's official, our permit has been approved by the city! PB will be reaching out next week to let us know our dig date!:cheers:
Tree removal is done, and silt fence and tree save are going in tomorrow. The dig itself will likely occur just after the holidays. Slow going, but at least it's progress!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.