New member - johntniman

I would wait. Not as big deal to get the fines out right now as it is to kill the algae. Your regular filter should be doing a decent job of getting what it can catch. Right now brushing and maintaining FC is your best bet.

Reactions: johntafshar
FC: 12 - Guessing the sun is starting to get to it. Put a few more cups in.
CC: 1.5 - After the previous test I accidentally left the CC test in the plastic tube and noticed it was slightly pink when I came back. It cleared up after another drop. So maybe the last CC test was 1.5. I let this one sit for a couple minutes before the measurement.

With the FC and CC test, when you get to clear, you are done. Dispose of the sample. If you let them sit, they will most of the time turn pink again.

Reactions: johntafshar
I was hoping to see this go away from the green soon.

Have any copper containing products been used in this pool in the past? Pucks with the word Blue in their name, algaecide, etc?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK - I am just getting info. There should be no reason, especially since you did a significant water exchange, that copper should be an issue. But this persistent green is bothersome. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Not sure if it's relevant, but my filter PSI has hardly moved at all. Possibly because ZeoSand uses less space than an equivalent amount of sand (~50%). I've considered back washing despite no PSI change, but I'm also adding CYA and if I understand right I'm not supposed to backwash for a week or so when doing that?

I had wondered about the filter pressure. With how that pool looks you should have been filtering something.

When was the last time you added CYA? You did it with a sock, right?

OK - and you are following the SLAM FC level based on your endpoint CYA after adding that CYA. Correct?

I did a search on Zeosand. Some say ok, some say not good at filtering fines. Also retains ammonia. But that is not your issue as you are holding FC levels.

If still green tomorrow, I will be bringing in some others for advise.

I'm gonna blame you guys for turning me into a chlorine snob. Ran to 3 HDs, a Lowes and a Leslie's.

Ended up with 20 gallons of 10% dated 19-072. I was hoping for something in the 100s, but didnt find it anywhere. There was plenty of 18-XXX floating around, too.

I'm not sure what the date was on the Leslie's chlorine, but at $10/2gal of it wasnt today it wasnt worth it.

I tried to get some bleach while I was at lowe’s getting sand today and laughed. The kemtec was dated 17-something, and stored outside on a shelf that was getting sunlight nearly all day. ?

I have lightly skimmed this thread so it may have been addressed. I would begin to treat the pool for iron. It may not even show up on a test because it has precipitated. To confirm the presence of iron, place some very white rags (or something like that) in the skimmer and observe for a few hours. They should capture a rusty tint indicating the iron is in the water.

Visible iron can be filtered out or can be "redissolved" with a sequestrant. I would try to filter it out at this point.

Stop the SLAM, let the FC get below 10 ppm (in fact, let it come down to 2-3 ppm) and then lower the pH to around 7.2 and keep running the pump 24/7.

I would begin to treat the pool for iron.
Dave - Not to say it is not possible, but Las Vegas Valley Water District water comes from the Colorado River. And to my knowledge, and I live along the river, there is no iron in it. And I have never seen iron staining anywhere in our area.

Morning pic attached.

I added a fair bit extra chlorine last night. FC was 22 at my last test, now 18.5. CC holding at 1. Filter PSI still holding, and hasn't moved at all except when I changed the rpm of my.pool pump.

@duraleigh I have a skimmer sock in the skimmer that feels like its cloth. Would that work for the white rag test? It has been in for about 48 hours. FWIW, it doesnt show any signs of rust.

Attachments

• 20190505_060502.jpg
    20190505_060502.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.