New member - johntniman

This is from about 12 hours ago.
You'll need a fresh test result of PH & FC every couple of hours to get ready for SLAM Process.

The PH is(was) too high to SLAM Process, are you using measured Murciatic Acid doses & retesting PH every 30min? (as able)

PoolMath your pool gallons, PH = Now/8.4 Goal/7.4 (add 1QT of Muriatic Acid 31% to pool in front of return) ... Note you should add your TA/160 for correct MA dosage

Last edited:
I added just shy of a gallon of 14.5% MA last night. PoolMath said that would take it from 8.2-7.2. Fresh PH Test says: 7.2 on the nose.

My plan is to SLAM starting Friday night so I can be home and go at it hard this weekend. I figured that was better than not being able to check it for about 11 hours during the day.

Reactions: splashpad
I added just shy of a gallon of 14.5% MA last night. PoolMath said that would take it from 8.2-7.2. Fresh PH Test says: 7.2 on the nose.

My plan is to SLAM starting Friday night so I can be home and go at it hard this weekend. I figured that was better than not being able to check it for about 11 hours during the day.
Perfect plan of attack! Nice to see it well in hand :D

Reactions: johntafshar
I would still personally bump/raise the FC to shock level for CYA/30 (FC/CYA Levels) when you can, even before the "official" SLAM... IT can be doing some work while you are away :)
CYA (Stabilizer)Minimum FCTarget FC Shock FC
3024-612

Which will speed up your process when you can attend to additions frequently starting Fri!
Everyone here gets behind a good SLAM Process!!
Don't forget pics, it's the easiest way to see "progress"!!

While I'm thinking about SLAM prep - Does the DE to sand filter advice work with ZeoSand? My impression is that, with regular sand, it's more of a luxury than a necessity, but I may get some since I have to make a chlorine run anyway.

I would still personally bump/raise the FC to shock level for CYA/30 (FC/CYA Chart) when you can, even before the "official" SLAM... IT can be doing some work while you are away :)

I'll make my chlorine run tonight. I only have about 1.5 gallons or so on hand at the moment. I was considering where best to buy it in bulk, but haven't found much in the last few days of research so probably Lowes still. I'll add the half-gallon now, which should bring me to 10.6 - a bit lower than SLAM for CYA/30, but I also have my Dolphin in the pool and can't take it out at the moment since I'm about to run out the door to work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While I'm thinking about SLAM prep - Does the DE to sand filter advice work with ZeoSand? My impression is that, with regular sand, it's more of a luxury than a necessity, but I may get some since I have to make a chlorine run anyway.
I would try w/o first, I believe ZeoSand has a lower micron rating then "regular" filter sand... That being said, I know someone was having issues with their ZeoSand last year (can't find thread off-hand). So you might have to watch that.
Also... make sure to do a full test set before bumping the FC over 10, as FC/10+ causes a false "higher" PH reaction.

I'll make my chlorine run tonight. I only have about 1.5 gallons or so on hand at the moment. I was considering where best to buy it in bulk, but haven't found much in the last few days of research so probably Lowes still. I'll add the half-gallon now, which should bring me to 10.6 - a bit lower than SLAM for CYA/30, but I also have my Dolphin in the pool and can't take it out at the moment since I'm about to run out the door to work.
  • Depending on the cost, date & strength of the Lowe's Pool Chlorine::
    • you might check Home Depot (if you guys have one) (their 2-3pks are sometimes cheaper, also have a bulk (4+?) purchase discount)
    • don't be afraid of the pure cleaning 6% 'household' bleach.... the bulk purchase rate might make the cost worth it
    • Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator (compare sizes, strength for "bleach" cost per oz)
    • Do you guys have Walmart? The Pool Chlorine is around $3.64 for 128oz of 10%
    • Do you have janitorial and/or power washing supply stores? Bulk chlorine from those places is often a great price per oz!

Last edited:
Depending on the cost, date & strength of the Lowe's Pool Chlorine::
  • you might check Home Depot (if you guys have one) (their 2-3pks are sometimes cheaper, also have a bulk (4+?) purchase discount)
  • don't be afraid of the pure cleaning 6% 'household' bleach.... the bulk purchase rate might make the cost worth it
  • Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator (compare sizes, strength for "bleach" cost per oz)
  • Do you guys have Walmart? The Pool Chlorine is around $3.64 for 128oz of 10%
  • Do you have janitorial and/or power washing supply stores? Bulk chlorine from those places is often a great price per oz!

We do have WalMart, and that was about what I was seeing for prices, too. That's about $0.28/oz.

Lowes is $6.86 for 2 gal 10%. I get a 5% discount because I have a card there, so it's more like $6.52. That's about $0.26/oz.
HD 2 packs are a bit cheaper at bulk at $0.24/oz.
HD 3 packs are closer to $0.23/oz, but they don't stock them locally. I could have it delivered, but couldn't check the dates. Both the box stores seem to store it outside, though, so it might actually be stored better in a warehouse, it just might be old.

I've looked for janitorial supply stores, or chem manufacturers, but haven't found much online yet. Leslie's is about the only pool store around and I've avoided going in there save once. They don't have any prices posted for liquid chlorine online, though.

We do have WalMart, and that was about what I was seeing for prices, too. That's about $0.28/oz.

Lowes is $6.86 for 2 gal 10%. I get a 5% discount because I have a card there, so it's more like $6.52. That's about $0.26/oz.
HD 2 packs are a bit cheaper at bulk at $0.24/oz.
HD 3 packs are closer to $0.23/oz, but they don't stock them locally. I could have it delivered, but couldn't check the dates. Both the box stores seem to store it outside, though, so it might actually be stored better in a warehouse, it just might be old.

I've looked for janitorial supply stores, or chem manufacturers, but haven't found much online yet. Leslie's is about the only pool store around and I've avoided going in there save once. They don't have any prices posted for liquid chlorine online, though.
➕1 for informed pool owner! Knowledge is power (and lots of $$ saved!)

It looks like you've got the best deal, you might even check with Lowe's Customer Service about matching the 3pk Home Depot price, even if it's "No", you'll know ;)

Actually, thinking more about the HD 3 packs ... do you think heat or age affects chlorine more? I expect the Lowes stock to be about a month old, and sitting outside for a fair bit of that time. I don't know that HD would be any older than that, but it's probably been in a warehouse. It's been warm but not insane hot, except last weekend. If it's, say, 3 months old, but stored inside (if not temperature controlled) is that better or worse?

Ultimately I'll probably pick up 30 gallons, and it's only liable to be $10 cheaper overall. I'm not that worried about a few bucks, but the min-maxer in me is curious now.

Actually, thinking more about the HD 3 packs ... do you think heat or age affects chlorine more? I expect the Lowes stock to be about a month old, and sitting outside for a fair bit of that time. I don't know that HD would be any older than that, but it's probably been in a warehouse. It's been warm but not insane hot, except last weekend. If it's, say, 3 months old, but stored inside (if not temperature controlled) is that better or worse?
  • SO they are related
    • Hypothetical
      • if you have FRESH (within the week) that is hot (over 75F is the tipping point I believe?), it will cause it to degrade faster *as it ages*
      • BUT if you have old that was not kept below 75F, it's going to be half strength (I think) by 2-3mths? (or sooner)
  • The higher the percentage of hypochlorite, the less stable it is in heat exposure
    • There is a good discussion thread on here about Bleach Storage Strength / Degradation, I'll try to find it :D (that is where my info comes from)
All that being said, my personal experience, we've bought fresh Pool Chlorine (walmart) that is stored in our basement (unfinished, 65F year round) and it is the 'right' strength the next season, we have a tiny pool, so don't use much, that is not typical, but again, our experience.

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks.

None of the bleach prices are time-limited sale prices, so there's probably no need to buy in bulk. 30g is probably excessive, now that I think about it, especially when it's a 10 minutes trip to Lowes and back to get more (or maybe half an hour for HD.) I do expect to use a lot this weekend, but 30g in the pool over two days is probably hitting it a bit too hard. :ROFLMAO:

I strongly doubt any of it was stored sub-70 degrees, and certainly not all the time. Even in my house it'd be stored from 75-80. Sadly, we don't have basements out here :(

Interesting, thanks.

None of the bleach prices are time-limited sale prices, so there's probably no need to buy in bulk. 30g is probably excessive, now that I think about it, especially when it's a 10 minutes trip to Lowes and back to get more (or maybe half an hour for HD.) I do expect to use a lot this weekend, but 30g in the pool over two days is probably hitting it a bit too hard. :ROFLMAO:

I strongly doubt any of it was stored sub-70 degrees, and certainly not all the time. Even in my house it'd be stored from 75-80. Sadly, we don't have basements out here :(
30g may not be as excessive as you think ;) Depending on how "stubborn" your pool's green is :D But... since it's that close, you can prob start with 12g :D

I'm gonna blame you guys for turning me into a chlorine snob. Ran to 3 HDs, a Lowes and a Leslie's.

Ended up with 20 gallons of 10% dated 19-072. I was hoping for something in the 100s, but didnt find it anywhere. There was plenty of 18-XXX floating around, too.

I'm not sure what the date was on the Leslie's chlorine, but at $10/2gal of it wasnt today it wasnt worth it.

• Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.