Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi All,
My wife and I are undertaking our first pool build and free standing spa in 2021. Like so many others we got a strong push in this direction from COVID-19. Unfortunately, high demand made it very difficult to shop around among various PBs and negotiate pricing (it was almost impossible to even get a sales appointment), 2020 was a total sellers market for pools around here. We ended up choosing a FG pool with the shell coming from Imagine Pools (15.5 x 40 Illusion) with a stand alone spa from Marquis. The build is planned to start at the end of February / beginning of March and we are really hopeful to have it all done and open in time for the summer swim season here in Northern Kentucky. The design is done (see below) and our selections are mostly made, but I'm sure we still have some latitude for detail changes.
We have been watching this forum closely for awhile since kicking of this project. After initially thinking we would start out with a standard chlorine pool, I am now thinking very seriously that one change is adding an SWG to our equipment list. My only hesitation are the impacts to other pool systems from the salt (gas heater, Coverstar cover mechanism, pool ladders, concrete decking, and landscaping). Initially I was really concerned about these things; after reading so many posts here I feel less so - but any comments/evidence on hardware damage or reduced life from salt are appreciated.
In order to keep from a really long initial post I'll go ahead and list our build details (directly from PB contract) here:
- Imagine pools lllusion 40' FG pool shell
- Stamped & dyed concrete coping
- Skimmers - 2
- (2) main drains with hydro-static valve
- Schedule 40 PVC plumbing with turn ball valves
- Raypak 336A gas pool heater with electronic ignition
- Pentair Intelliflo VSP
- Pentair cartridge filter system
- CL200 chlorination system (PB suggests keeping this even if we go with SWCG as it is little cost and could be useful to add CL)
- Maytronics Dolphin M400 robot (upgrade from standard M200, is the upgrade worth it?)
- (4) Microbrite LEDs
- Pentair intelliconnect Automation (i need to learn more about this, what it can and cant do)
- Vacuum kit with telescoping pole and leaf net
- Coverstar autocover
- Brushed concrete pool decking
Separate purchase- Marquis Signature Series Epic spa

We plan to manage the water treatment ourselves and after reading so many posts on here, we plan to get the appropriate TF-100 test kit on order.

Overall we are excited and nervous for the whole process to begin, and have our fingers crossed that the timing works out. We look forward to learning from you all and participating in the forums here.

Any comments or suggestions on our build are much appreciated!
Marc & Brittany

Attachments

• Von rendering 1.jpg
    Von rendering 1.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 29
  • Von rendering 2.jpg
    Von rendering 2.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Von rendering 3.jpg
    Von rendering 3.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Von rendering 4.jpg
    Von rendering 4.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 23
  • plan.pdf
    254.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hello! Good looking pool setting, and (IMO) smart move on the stand alone spa.

Two skimmers would be a good move, considering the length of that pool. Make sure they're placed taking advamtage of wind patterns in your yard, which helps surface debris moved towards them.

I'm sure your pool builder is charging an arm and a leg for the robot. Its quite a large one. We can advise you on where to buy one directly yourself and probably save a pretty penny. You just need to tell the builder to place an electric outlet near the pool. Make it a covered CFGI and dual outlet as many people like to charge their phones and music out by the pool.

Go for the salt water chlorine generator.....you won't regret it. :) In 9 years I've never seen any hint of damage to my cover, cover equipment, decking or pool. No one has ever posted pictures of damage due to salt...they just hear a rumor it exists.

Maddie :flower:

Thank you for the feedback! The setting definitely looks more perfect in the rendering than in real life, but our hope is that it turns out nice and smoothly integrates with our existing covered patio.

The second skimmer is one of the open questions I have for the builder. Is there some rule of thumb for how many skimmers are suggested based on pool size? I’ve scoured the photos on the Imagine Pools site and can’t see any examples that have more than one skimmer.

I’m glad to hear your comments on the robot. It was my idea to upgrade to the M400 from the M200 because of the added ability to clean the waterline. You’ve got me looking at Marina Pools now though and I will be asking the PB how much of a credit is available if we opt to provide our own robot and he only does the prep. I’m game for buying that item on my own if it saves a few bucks. I can divert those funds to the SWCG!

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.