New member in Houston, TX

Desibabu345

Sep 10, 2020
Houston, Texas
Hello all! I recently became the proud owner of my first pool. I recently bought a house over 40 years old with a pool that appears to have been there for most of it haha. The pool is an old diving pool that in the next 3-5 years we will be revamping. The pool was maintained fully up to transfer of ownership and a checkup yesterday (by a pool maintenance company) had them happy so i just need to learn to maintain things and not mess it up.

Current setup is single cartridge filter and single 1hp Hayward pump to a ~20,000 gallon pool (guessing from measurement) - a very basic setup. Wanting to control my family's chemical environment and having a tight budget has me on the path to maintain my own pool and i was lucky enough to find you guys!

I have gone through the entire Pool school and read most of the additional articles. I just got my K-2006C kit in the mail today as well as obtained (arbitrary amounts) of all the outlined chemicals in the TFP page (liquid chlorine, borax, ph balancer, etc all down the list).

As we are in a rehab process and not living at the house i have the ability to test and get things right over the next 30. I guess im apprehensive of 'pulling the trigger' and starting on my own. A couple of questions i have:

1) Are there guides to understand how long my setup is taking to 'cycle' the water and retest to see if im being effective or not?
2) Any advantage to updating to a higher hp pump without changing plumbing?
3) I am trying to get the prior pool maintenance people to come out and tell me when the filter was cleaned / replaced last - the pressure gauge is showing extremely low pressure drop and the current contractor suggested that its a very low hp system which might be it. Can i inspect the filter myself or to be safe should i just replace it and start anew?

Sorry for all the questions im excited and yet trying to make sure i take care of things right before i say no thanks to the pool maintenance companies.

Thanks an extremely excited to be part of the TFP community!

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new purchase. So about your concerns:
- There is no need to worry about water cycle (or turnover); that's a myth. Once chemicals are added, you can geneally re-test the water in about 20-30 minutes.
- Adding more HP might benefit if you had auxiliary items to support like a spa, waterfall, etc. If your water circulation is good, probably not much benefit. What you want to ensure is that the motor is a 2-speed and NOT a single speed. Single speeds are energy hogs.
- I would recommend not having any pool maintenance people visit. Do it yourself. Cartridge filters are easy to maintain. Pull them out, rinse them off, put them back in. Easy stuff. We can help you more later.
- Make sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info -include the K-2006C as well. See mine as an example. Feel free to post some pics of your pool and equipment which will also help us to better understand your situation.

Have a great weekend. :swim:

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new purchase. So about your concerns:
- There is no need to worry about water cycle (or turnover); that's a myth. Once chemicals are added, you can geneally re-test the water in about 20-30 minutes.
- Adding more HP might benefit if you had auxiliary items to support like a spa, waterfall, etc. If your water circulation is good, probably not much benefit. What you want to ensure is that the motor is a 2-speed and NOT a single speed. Single speeds are energy hogs.
- I would recommend not having any pool maintenance people visit. Do it yourself. Cartridge filters are easy to maintain. Pull them out, rinse them off, put them back in. Easy stuff. We can help you more later.
- Make sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info -include the K-2006C as well. See mine as an example. Feel free to post some pics of your pool and equipment which will also help us to better understand your situation.

Have a great weekend. :swim:

Thank you for this!!! I really appreciate it.

Reactions: Texas Splash
So i feel like i am learning but able to balance the chemicals at this time, which is leading me to the next pending item on the home inspection report - the jets currently are all aimed straight in with no angle to the water so i want to install nozzles / eyeballs, but as usual with an old stuff - there are a total of 12 'inlets' as i can see, with three different sizes:

-7 Qty - ~1" I.D. pvc threaded
-3 Qty - ~.75" I.D. pvc not threaded (right next to eachother) - one of which gets no flow
-2 Qty - ~1.5" I.D. pvc not threaded

In general they all get low flow (none are strong and the range goes from low to very low) with the 1hp pump and it was recommended to get circulation going.

Any advice other than buying a whole bunch of examples and trial and error? Are there standard sizes to try for?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.