New Member CYA 140 FC 15 Do I toss out the pucks right now?

Hello. So happy to find the forum. I just received my Taylor K2006 kit and my readings are: pH 7.4-7.6, TA 80ppm, CH 370,
FC 15ppm, CC 0ppm, and CYA 140ppm (1/2 pool sample, 1/2 tap, x2). I have an inline chlorinator and have been using trichlor pucks since the pool was built 2 years ago. Should I turn off the chlorinator and throw the rest of my pucks away? Are these FC and CYA levels ok, and should I now try to maintain with just bleach? I have been reading all day, but can't find the answer as to how I should proceed. There is so much info and so many generous folk sharing info here, my answer is probably here somewhere. I just can't find it. Many thanks for your patience and for any advice you can offer me.

Re: New Member CYA 140 FC 15 Do I toss out the pucks right n

Should I turn off the chlorinator and throw the rest of my pucks away?

Remove the pucks in your chlorinator and save them for vacations another times when you can add CYA

Are these FC and CYA levels ok,
Your CYA is very high. It should be in the 30-50 range

should I now try to maintain with just bleach?

Short answer: YES, bleach will be your best option.

Can I assume your fill water is cost effective and clean or do you have water challenges or expensive water?

If you can drain 75% of your water and re-fill, that would be the best for your pool but if you have a high water table, this could dangerous.

A 14FC is in the middle of the range of acceptable for a 140CYA. It should keep your algae at bay and it is safe to swim. It would be easier to manage if it were closer to the desired range for CAY, especially if you were to get an algae bloom.

Water table is so high we can't even bury our dead here. We're practically floating here. The water is beautiful, no algae. I can get the town to adjust the sewerage bill for a refill but hate the idea of how long this gonna take me and how do I go about it without my pool popping out....does that really happen?! :shock:

So if I drain in small increments, how low can I go safely at a time? Do I drain to ground level and refill, repeating many times? Someone here way back in 2007 seemed to have a similar problem and the thread ended with him being completely exasperated and having no success. I wanted to pm him and see how the problem was solved but I'm not sure if that's ok to do here and he probably wouldn't remember anyway, it's been so long. As I'm draining, how do I maintain FC ? I'm going to run out of the CYA reagent real fast. Feel like I've wasted most of the bottle already on just a few CYA tests(couldn't believe it was so high so I tested it three times). :( Ugh! This mom feels way out of her league!

How deep can you dig before you hit water. Seriously, if you are that concerned ... dig a hole near the pool.
As long as the water in the pool does not get "too far" below the ground water level, then the pool will be fine. What is "too far", I have no idea, but likely a few feet at least. To be safe, just do not drain below the ground water level.

And you have found one of the 2 reasons we recommend the TF-100 over the K-2006 ... you can do a LOT more CYA tests. The other is the number of FAS-DPD tests you can do. Order up some refills from Dave at tftestkits.net

+ 1 above.

That sounds like a solid plan. Is it going to be a pain ? You betcha, but that high of a CYA will also be a pain. In the long run getting your CYA level to where its manageable will be a very good pay off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

If you dig a deep hole, put a big PVC pipe in it vertically sitting on some gravel before you refill and then you will be able to easily check the groundwater level in the future by looking in the pipe or dropping a string.

Why can't I maintain the pool at my current CYA and FC levels? If FC should be at least 7.5% of my CYA, with the target level being at 11.5%, then wouldn't I be within range? Would this be hard to maintain for the rest of the summer. What would the drawbacks be?

For CYA of 140ppm, the minimum FC is 11ppm and the target is 17ppm according to the poolcalculator.com

Assuming the water is clean with nothing growing in it, then you can try to do that. If it gets cloudy or green, then your shock FC levels required for SLAMing are very high.

And another draw back is the the pH test is invalid when the FC > 10ppm.

Depends on when you will close and how well you maintain the FC.

In my opinion you should definitely just deal with the high cya level you have right now, make sure you don't add anymore, and just wait for it to come down on its own via splash out and backwashing

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.