New Member Build in Tennessee

Well he was trying to be funny when he said it, but little does he know I intend to hold him as close to perfect as possible.
If when trying to sell me you tell me how much better you are than everybody else, rest assured I will hold you to your own standard that you set for yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey now. I can rush you to take more and better pictures though.

No new pics today. Rain yesterday all day. Prob no work again today.

My pb tells me how great he is all the time. I have yet to see it.
He actually once told me that "only god could do a more perfect job" what a hoot. My kids could do a better job.
All I am saying is watch out for guys like that. They tell you what they think you want to hear and try and convince you that their work is great and that you are just unrealistic.
Good luck. I hope you have a better experience than I have.

My pb tells me how great he is all the time. I have yet to see it.
He actually once told me that "only god could do a more perfect job" what a hoot. My kids could do a better job.
All I am saying is watch out for guys like that. They tell you what they think you want to hear and try and convince you that their work is great and that you are just unrealistic.
Good luck. I hope you have a better experience than I have.

Ive had it happen on a kitchen remodel. Guy told me and told me why his price was a little more, because his quality was better. Then he tried to tell me "you're being too picky, you cant make it perfect" every time something was a bit off(like a big crack in the ceiling paint or a big gap in the granite seam!). I told him I wasnt looking for perfection, just want it done correctly like you said you would. He wasnt happy but he made it right and I bet he's more careful the first time from now on. Like you said, too many people just let it go when contractor says "its OK, you wont even notice it". BS. I notice it now so fix it if you want to keep gettin paid!
I told my PB that story before we signed the line and told him he better be ready to back up the words or not even bother getting started. He agreed. We'll see. I don't know a lot about pool building, but I've learned a lot here, and I do have a good dose of common sense and I'm def not afraid to tell em, "that aint right. Fix it!"

When our liner was being put in I remained our installer that he promised it would be 99.9% wrinkle free. He asked if I was really going to hold him to that. AH YEAH! You said it, I expect it! A man's word and of that.

He and his crew did an awesome job and it was 99.9% wrinkle free! We paid them more than agreed on for the awesome job. They were kind, helpful, on time, nice to the cats and dog AND did a great job!

Kim

I shared a similar experience with my pb before signing the papers too.
This is like a déjà vu to me.
Take a look at my thread and you'll see where I was still liking and trying to defend him even trying to rationalize for him before I just said ok. It isn't me pushing too hard or being anal. It's him just being lame and clueless.
We talked in great depth about all this up front so I honestly didn't think he would try and pull it. I'm still a little dismayed each time he tries to pass his crummy work off as me looking for perfection. Can't you at least try for it instead of just telling me its unachievable and slapping things together?
I am in construction so I know what is and isn't possible. Aim low and your seldom disappointed.
Hope your guy really is a man of his word.

dang cluck! I just read your whole thread of your project and wish I hadn't! I sure hope that's not the norm for builders. I will make it a point to be sure all the stuff we talk about "fixing" get fixed before the $$draws are paid out! And I'm going to tell my guy I want to see all the equipment (he supposedly already ordered) pretty darn soon.Sorry you've had such a time and sure hope mine goes smoother. But I'm just getting started...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
True dat.
Stick to your guns. If you read my thread. You will see that many people gave me advice about pool builders doing what they always do and not what they are supposed to do. It rings true.
Don't let em grind ya down.
I hope you can speak Spanish. It will be very valuable if you can. Also if you sense any communication issues with the guys doing the actual work (pb won't) draw pictures with precise measurements to make absolutely certain that they are clear on what you want. I had to almost every step of the way. Wish I had done every step!
I have a lot more hours on this project than the pb does. Actually probably more than any of his guys.
Don't let them mistake nice for weak.
Stay strong. Don't let me scare you. It's just good to be aware and ready for whatever they try to pass off on you.
Hopefully your guy is that one a million!

Well for one mine is vinyl w steel wall. My pb wanted to get paid before complete but I insisted on final $5gr only after complete and pass all inspections including mine and lien release signed by any subs. I took a chance and went with new pb who was installer for a couple pool companies before. I talked to several references since going on his own and all good. Work I saw was good. He and a partner do the work themselves. No espanol needed so far. I'm taking a chance that it works out in return for a little better price. But so far he's been great. Trying to establish himself in business so I feel he's trying harder. Time will tell if I was fortunate or a fool.

PB showed up bright and early this morning and had all the rest of the equipment he said he had ordered. Pretty much all but the liner and safety cover are onsite now anyway. Glad i didnt say anything to him about it.
I'm thinking what you said pooladdict. He at least seems to be "on it" so far. I told him about a woman I know who's building a house and is going to do a pool after first of the year. Told PB and her that I would not recomend him until he finished with ours and we see how it went. He is based out of Nashville area about 45 miles away and he's trying to establish a customer base here in my town because he knows the local guys here do not have a good rep! All said though, since this is my first time doing one, if anybody sees or reads something that doesnt look/sound right about mine, please let me know. So far all the reading I've done here and elsewhere seems to match up pretty good with what his answers are when I ask how he's going to do this or that. Hope wife is taking some good pics today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.