Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2015
Fort Mill, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I have a new liner going on in a week or two, weather permitting.

Any recommendations on the refill process? I've struggled mightily with metals in my city water here. I've not been able to identify what it is, possibly iron and/or copper. The old liner looks like heck from the brown staining. I've use a metal trap filter when topping off with limited success. I do not use algaecides.

So if and when I get a truck out here to refill the pool, is it possible to get an extremely low metal content to start with? Is it a luck of the draw or can I control the outcome?

Look at your town/county's water report online. They are required to publish them for review every 6months to a year. See if they list metals. Do you see brown stains in your sink or toilet in the house? That is tell tail for iron.

So are you asking if a truck of water is going to be better than just your house water? If so, the answer is... not always. :neutral:

There is a trick you can do to capture the iron in water to remove it- you let the iron precipitate (turn the water orange) then using polyfil in the skimmers you capture the iron as it passes thru the material. It can take up to a week but we've seen good results doing this. Another thing you'll want to do is try to let rain water help top up your pool. Some folks actually redirect their gutters into the pool (putting a filter screen on end to keep roof debris out of the pool).

If it were me, I'd try all the above before resorting to sequestrants. Those work but require frequent re-dosing so to me that's last choice.

Maddie :flower:

It is probably iron and I do have hard water stains on the toilets.

So luck of the draw then with the truck? You'd think there'd be better options for pool owners, as insidious as that problem is. It's probably the worst thing I've had to deal with on my pool, and I've dealt with a LOT. I've done the ascorbic acids and the sequestrants and the metal free and I've never really had success.

I like the idea of harvesting rain water, but it doesn't seem practical in my case.

If I could start from a good point it should take many many years before I have a problem. But eventually I'll have to deal with it again.

You don't mention having done the polyfil......?

Call around and see where the truck delivery folks get the water? Maybe then check out that counties water report too.

I know nothing about these but perhaps you can look into this product-

I feel for ya... :(

Maddie :flower:

I haven't heard of polyfil. If and when I get to that point I'll be sure to consider it, thanks.

The trap I've been using is one of these:

I did a drain and refill five years ago without using a trap which got me into trouble I think.

So it's probably the copper building up then.

Any amount of metal is going to build up after repeated iterations of topping off and evaporating. I'm surprised this isn't more of any issue for other pool owners.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.