New liner chemical problem

KS Mike

Bronze Supporter
May 2, 2017
Wichita, KS
Just finished filling the pool (city water) on Thursday and added bleach, and salt and started up the pump. I also added muratic acid as the starting pH was around 8.0, after waiting a few hours it was 7.6, then 7.4 on Friday (which is where I shoot for since I tend to trend upward with a SWG). I turned the SWG on Friday and added 1as well.

Today the pH is reading 7.1-7.2 (multiple samples and tests). I have also noticed the TA, which I will have to address next year since I’m trying to heat the pool now, has been increasing with each test.

Both seem very odd for my pool and also like they should not be happening together.

Any ideas? Can a new liner cause changes like this?

What if the pH, TA & CH of your fill water?

you have an autofill?

Here are the test Results since filling. I did not log the initial test of the water since I knew I would be adding things. The chlorine drop was because the water had started to grow a bit of Algae after 3 days of filling.

Attachments

• 505E365D-56AD-4874-9AE0-F58DF2C22964.png
    505E365D-56AD-4874-9AE0-F58DF2C22964.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 3E2374A7-8C64-4275-8EA2-5D0CC5C9E7A5.png
    3E2374A7-8C64-4275-8EA2-5D0CC5C9E7A5.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 4
TA test depends on drop size. My guess is you are being inconsistent in how you handle the R-0009 .

Hold the bottle vertical and let each drop form on the tip and fall off. Wipe the tip between drops. Read the notes in...

• Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.
  • Hold the dropper bottles vertically and squeeze gently, so that drops come out slowly and seem to hang on the tip of the dropper bottle for a moment before falling.

Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.
To add to that a little, it occurs if your R-0009 is new.......maybe less than 2-3 weeks. The static goes away after that and stays away and you no longer need to wipe the tip. You DO need to hold the bottle vertically and allow the drop to fall from the tip.........don't force it off by squeezing too fast.

You still have some results that are not making sense. pH should drop within an hour or so of adding acid and then it should be stable. Same with TA, it should be stable for several days......not climbing like you indicate.

If you have added NO chemistry to change pH and TA then they shouldn't change and testing error is the likely cause of what you are seeing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.