New liner and water this April, next steps?

BKB

Gold Supporter
May 29, 2020
New Carlisle Ohio
Hello, we replaced our pool liner in April and had new water delivered.
We have a SWG system. Here are the current test results. I used the Taylor 2006 test kit.
FC 0
pH 8
TA 325
CH 125
CYA 30
Saturation 0.7
Salt generator shows 2100 (I know I need salt for sure)
What sequence do I adjust?
Right now it has been pretty cool (lows of 35); the water is very clear.
Thank you,
Brenda

Hi Brenda, even though its still chilly, I'd put some liquid chlorine in there (5ppm at least) and go ahead and get the extra salt you need in there. Are you testing salt with the K-1766 Salt Test kit?? Do not trust the device- they lie :cautious: . Always do a real salt test first before adding salt. Remember to never add salt while the SWG is powered on. It will mess the SWG's brain up.

Are you sure about that incredible TA #??? Using muriatic acid to lower the pH will have the side benefit of chipping away at that alkalinity too.

When you test the water let it sit inside to warm up a bit so its not so cold when testing. That may make a diff in results.

Maddie :flower:

Hi Brenda, even though its still chilly, I'd put some liquid chlorine in there (5ppm at least) and go ahead and get the extra salt you need in there. Are you testing salt with the K-1766 Salt Test kit?? Do not trust the device- they lie :cautious: . Always do a real salt test first before adding salt. Remember to never add salt while the SWG is powered on. It will mess the SWG's brain up.

Are you sure about that incredible TA #??? Using muriatic acid to lower the pH will have the side benefit of chipping away at that alkalinity too.

When you test the water let it sit inside to warm up a bit so its not so cold when testing. That may make a diff in results.

Thank you Maddie for the advice.
My SWG stated 2100, my Hayward tester states 2400. When I went to the pool store to get salt, they tested the water and their score was 1680; these are all over the place.
Should I lower the pH or get the salt level where it should be first?
Also, my test for CYA was 30, the pool store was 10; I have read there is the relationship between FC and CYA so based on the chart, my CYA is very low, either number I use.
Should these be tackled first?
I don't want to keep creating a moving target:)

Thank you.
Brenda

Sure, take the pH down (using PoolMath) to about 7.2 and see what that does for that insane TA. You're *sure* that you got 325??? Wild. :shark:

As that mixes in wait about 10 min and go ahead and add chlorine. It will last a longer time in colder water....but you do need some in there even without swimming weather.

Ignore all pool store results!!! They are almost always wrong! They can't be bothered to rinse the test vials, or measure accurately, or interpret the results correctly even *with* a computer.

Its near impossible to test 10ppm on CYA. Read above. Trust your test results.

Add salt anytime. Brush it around. It will be a while until your water is warm enough for the SWG to work, so having the salt in there and ready with help speed things up.

Hello Maddie,
I retested my TA this morning and it is 250. I'm wondering if the high number was because the test kit says add agent until green turns red, mine only turned pink so I had continued to add but at 13 drops, thought this isn't going any redder.
My test water also only changes to purple instead of blue for Calcium.
I am adding the muriatic acid and chlorine now per Pool math and will keep testing the pH as instructed in the link you gave for TA. Thank you so much for your help.
Brenda

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.