New large pool help in Arkansas

Southpool

Jun 6, 2020
South AR
I'm planning to install my own in ground pool kit spring 2021. I wanted to start this thread to have a place to ask for suggestions and get feedback on my plans. My plans are for a large pool to accommodate a large extended family.

My 1st draft plan:
-24' x 50' in ground liner pool (estimate 58,500 gallons)
-Vermiculite base
-6" corner radius
-42" or 48" shallow end to a 9' deep end
-Liner over steel 24' wide stairs/tanning ledge combo : (6' wide stairs, 18' tanning ledge)
-cantilever coping with foam forms
-Pentair Intelliflo VS + SVRS - Variable speed 3HP pump
-Hayward C7030 swimclear cartridge filter
-Not sure about lights? Nicheless 1.5" or regular led niche lights?
-Saltwater? not sure if this is practical with a pool this size?
-6 deck jets
-2 cmp 8" j-style bubblers in the tanning ledge
-Also want 2 sockets to accept umbrellas in the tanning ledge (not sure yet if this is possible)

I have lots of questions but a few of my main ones are:

-How many skimmers and returns do I need? Are Aqua genie the best option?
-I like the idea of saltwater and less chemicals but can't find a system rated for this pool, if I'm supposed to size it 1.5-2 times the size of the pool?
-Is the Hayward cartridge filter good enough for a large pool?
-Is the 3HP VS pump up to the task? Can it run the pool, deck jets, tanning ledge bubblers and a slide?

I appreciate any input and look forward to learning as much as I can.

Thanks

I would NOT do umbrella holes. You can get the cantilever umbrellas to put by the side of the pool. I worry the movement of taking the umbrella could cause problems.

I would have a return on the shelf for sure to help keep it clean. I would have two skimmers one on this side at that end and the other on that side at this end. Returns-one on the deep end, at least one on each side, and the one on the shelf.

Avoid that SVRS pump, per our pump guru @Jimrahbe . I forget why but he can explain, please.

Have you considered a chlorine liquid injection system like a Stenner pump?

LOVE that 9' depth!!

Search on this forum the Aqua Genie....that topic has come up but i can't recall the deets.

maddie

Why are you making it so large? This is about as large as many public HOA pools. Large means more systems, more expense, more power, more heating, etc. A pool that large especially if you plan on heating it is going to run probably $1000/month in expenses. I'd suggest probably 4 skimmers (one on each side) 8 returns multiple floor drains, etc. I'd also say you might need 2 main pumps and if you want water features then more. 2 SWGs for sure. If you are heating a 400k btu heater might be enough but it will run a lot. For something this large I think you are way better off with saltwater as that would be a lot of chlorine to manage. Having a pool like this built, properly, would run I think around $150k and up.

Pentair Intelliflo VS + SVRS - Variable speed 3HP pump

sp,

I love IntelliFlo pumps... But... you never ever want one with the SVRS option.. I know, because I unfortunately have one.. If my neighbor just flushes his toilet, my pump will go into an entrapment mode.. That is a slight exaggeration, but not by much. Just closing the air relief valve too quickly will cause the pump to shut off, as well as many other things.. I have learned what not to do, when, but I really wish that I would not have let my pool builder talk me in to this pump. They said it was "required" but they just lied... it is not.

I have two rent house pools with the normal IntelliFlo pumps and they work great...

Do yourself a favor.. just steer clean of any pump with the SVRS option.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim and I and lots of others just run 24/7 on low rpm for around $20 a month in electric. I only go higher for as long as I vacuum, then right back to trickle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So would I be able to run higher rpm just to run the water features (just when kids are out there) then run low rpm rest of the time?

Yep... My pool runs at 1250 RPM about 90% of the time.. You will have to run a little faster if you have a heater.. (about 1800 RPM)

I "like" to run my pool 24/7, but there is no reason that you must do that.. It is just up to you...

I have a SWCG (saltwater pool) and like to make a little chlorine all the time, plus I like to see the pool being skimmed all the time. Some here only run their pumps for 3 hours a day..

Thanks,

Jim R

Is there a better way to plumb water features? I thought they were tied into the return going back to the pool?

Also, is there a better option than deck jets for circulation in the hot hot summer to cool the water a little?

Do y’all recommend having main drains or not

This is a personal preference with most saying no. Any hole in the shell / liner has some sort of risk to it.

I like mine for a few reasons:

1. insurance that pump doesn’t run dry if the water drops or there is a skimmer problem.
2. Help to mix chemicals that sit on the bottom
3. Draining below skimmers quickly at closing
4. Help getting pollen and crud on the bottom to the filter from brushing without having to vacuum.

Reactions: kimkats
Looks like my plans for next year are being changed. I’m planning to get the kit order in the next 2-3 weeks and pool warehouse says it will take 10 weeks to come in.

Trying to decide on lights. What is recommended 12v with niche, looks like the old big light that all the pools used to have. Of course it’s led now. Or do you recommend the 1.5” nicheless lights? 1.5” is Hayward colorlogic 320 led.

I could do 4 of the 1.5” for the same money as 2 of the larger lights.

Also, I had figured using the pool volume calculators that a 24’x50’ would be 58,000 gallons but pool warehouse has dig sheets for a 24’x50’ showing about 41,000 gallons. That seems much better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.