New Island Build.

May 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Pictures coming soon. Im constructing a 13'x8' 80 degrees V shaped island. Planning to have a Pergola shading attached to the island.

Frame - Hybrid materials.
Pressure treated wood base
Wood 2x4 frame with Steel stud for Heat zone framing.

Equipment list.
Jenn-air 39inch built in grill 4 burner and 1 sear burner.
Turbo STS built in dual side burner.
Sink with faucet.
Refrigerator - Sanyo Stainless steel undercounter mini.
2 x 30x12 pull out drawer Black powder coated
1 12x24 access door Black powder coated
1 5 drawer roller tool chest built in for more drawer space

Finish
Hardybacker covering with Stucco exterior finish
Tile or Stone tile counter top.

Utility
Natural gas, Water, Electical, Drain.

Some Pics of the framing.
Hot zone framing
4519237883_9af73fa04e_b.jpg

80 degrees V shape frame. My yard is angled funny that way.
4519181233_972642e12a_b.jpg

Grill
4519203343_57f65e0771.jpg

If I were you I would change the pieces of pressure treated lumber that touch the ground with Trex. Pressure treated wood that is allowed to get wet will rot before the rest of the unit is ready to be replaced. Trex would keep most of it dry.

I would replace ALL of the wood with metal. Here in Louisiana with high humidity, I chose not to have any wood in my island, even treated wood. If your stucco or tile over the wood frame, expansion of the wood due to humidity may cause cracks. A full metal frame won't expand and will last forever.

WOW it looks great, we just intalled an outdoor kitchen in the Dolphin Bar and Grill and we love it. Keep the pics coming. :cheers: :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Malibu07 said:
Brentr said:
WOW it looks great, we just intalled an outdoor kitchen in the Dolphin Bar and Grill and we love it. Keep the pics coming. :cheers: :cheers:

I tried to go to your link showing your pool build but I got a warning saying the file is infected.
I just pulled it up from the link and I did not get any warnings. I have not posted pics of the new outdoor kitchen yet. Hopefully tonite I will upload some pics. :cheers: :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.