New Intex APG owner trying to start off right.

Bobbieb

Jun 19, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
Hello all. What a great group of folks! Read most of pool school article scanned some forums for new pool fills vinyl, ordered Taylor 2006 test kit. I filled our 6400 gallon Intex pool with well water treated with aerator and water softener over 3 days. Unfortunately my test kit will not arrive for another 2 days but did this so far today 1 gallon of 6%bleach, 34 ounces of granular cya sock method. Kept pump running all day. Water looks good. Anything else I should do before test kit arrives. Florida well water naturally hard I would guess the softener helped some as I did regenerate it but I suppose leave it alone or maybe some more bleach tomorrow? Thank you for any advice.

You definitely want to add some bleach each day until your kit arrives as you will lose chlorine daily.

At 6,400 gallons, you need about 40-60 ounces of 6% bleach each day. I would add that until the kit arrives.

Hello, Taylor Kit finally arrive Here is my 1st test for new fill from well. Added total of about 2 gallons of bleach over last 3 days, and 34 oz of dry cya
FC=4
CC=.5
Ph=8
TA=310
CH=125
CYA=35
What next seems like lower Ph to 7.2 and aerate. Do I need to SLAM?

Lower pH to 7.2, aerate, and check and adjust back down every few days. With a total alkalinity of 310 you are going to see your pH creep up constantly. Lowering the pH will also reduce total alkalinity over time which will eventually slow the rise. Round your CYA of 35 to 40. At 40 CYA you need to maintain free chlorine at 5-7. Check and add enough chlorine to get you to 7 each day. No need to SLAM if the water is nice and clear and this is a fresh fill. Otherwise, enjoy your pool!

You might want to re-do the TA test but take a wet paper towel and wipe off the tip of the titrating reagent (the one you're counting drops of as you add) between each drop. Make sure the bottle is held completely vertical as well. These can make a big difference with the TA test due to static electricity.

Lower pH to 7.2, aerate, and check and adjust back down every few days. With a total alkalinity of 310 you are going to see your pH creep up constantly. Lowering the pH will also reduce total alkalinity over time which will eventually slow the rise. Round your CYA of 35 to 40. At 40 CYA you need to maintain free chlorine at 5-7. Check and add enough chlorine to get you to 7 each day. No need to SLAM if the water is nice and clear and this is a fresh fill. Otherwise, enjoy your pool!
Thank you again guidance following this simple method has allowed a nice clean and clear pool so far. TA has come down and I continue to lower ph and provide aeration. But all it all chlorine, some cya boost once and awhile (we are in rainy season in FL I have had to drain water out several time to prevent overflowing). Next investment will be a sand filter and saltwater generator.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.