New Intex agp saltwater startup

Mrmarkus

Aug 1, 2020
Rialto, CA
Hi everyone. Pool newbie here. I just started up my pool Thursday afternoon. Hope this goes smoothly. Added 1 gallon of Instant Conditioner, 320 lbs of salt, ran pump 24 hrs., then turned on SWG last night for 8 hrs overnight. Water was clear until this morning. Slight green tint. Took my first water sample to Leslie's this morning and was told to add Stain & Scale, then 2lbs of dry acid to bring down pH from 8.0 and then 1/2 gallon more CYA as I started low anyways with 1 gallon. Not registering chlorine or CYA. Hmm. Salt registered at 3,500. Was told not necessary to drain at this point, just follow their steps to get balanced. I added the S&S with pump and SWG on for 4.5 hrs. Will add dry acid now starting with 1lb for 4 hours then repeat until it's time to add CYA. Does this sound correct? If anyone has questions about the install, let me know.

Attachments

• 20200801_151058.jpg
    20200801_151058.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200801_151257.jpg
    20200801_151257.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200730_193518.jpg
    20200730_193518.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 6
Oh my..... they got'cha. You didn't need that Stain and Scale, dry acid or the extra CYA (at that point). What you need is a test kit so you can stay outta that darn store, and some liquid chlorine!
www.tftestkits.net is the ideal test kit - the TF-100. Or the alternative of the K-2006. But the TF-100 is the better buy.

Get some liquid chlorine in there ASAP (actually, make that STAT!)..... a Salt Water Chlorine Generator needs you to provide the baseline chlorine then it will *maintain* that chlorine. It works too slow to bring you up from zero to....whatever.

Next- don't go using dry acid with a SWG. It damages the cell. Use muriatic acid instead.

Until you can test your water yourself with a RELIABLE test kit I'd suggest adding 1/2 gallon of LIQUID chlorine now.

Maddie

If you need convincing pool stores just try to sell you stuff do the following. Leave your wallet home and hang in the store for a half hour. Watch all the advice given to the first 10 customers. They all have terrible water, all need to fork up $100-$150 and get offered help to the car with a hand truck. If you come back a week later you may find 5 of them back on the line again just to be suckered again.......

Oh my..... they got'cha. You didn't need that Stain and Scale, dry acid or the extra CYA (at that point). What you need is a test kit so you can stay outta that darn store, and some liquid chlorine!
www.tftestkits.net is the ideal test kit - the TF-100. Or the alternative of the K-2006. But the TF-100 is the better buy.

Get some liquid chlorine in there ASAP (actually, make that STAT!)..... a Salt Water Chlorine Generator needs you to provide the baseline chlorine then it will *maintain* that chlorine. It works too slow to bring you up from zero to....whatever.

Next- don't go using dry acid with a SWG. It damages the cell. Use muriatic acid instead.

Until you can test your water yourself with a RELIABLE test kit I'd suggest adding 1/2 gallon of LIQUID chlorine now.

Maddie

"Oh my..... they got'cha" is exactly what I was afraid of. But ok. I've read about people adding liquid chlorine here, but nowhere in the manual does it say to add any to give the pool a boost, so I did not. I realize that I forgot to mention they sold me Clor Brite, their sodium hypochlorite. I'll add it now. Now I know I can add regular liquid chlorine to get the numbers up. Still looking at the test kits, but the TF100 seems to be the one, so it'll get ordered. I'll have to learn!! Thanks for the suggestion. I know that the stores are there to make $, but not put people on a merry go round. THANK YOU.

Last edited:
If you need convincing pool stores just try to sell you stuff do the following. Leave your wallet home and hang in the store for a half hour. Watch all the advice given to the first 10 customers. They all have terrible water, all need to fork up $100-$150 and get offered help to the car with a hand truck. If you come back a week later you may find 5 of them back on the line again just to be suckered again.......
Yeah, I understand that they need to make $, but should not try to take advantage. I only wanted help to get to baseline, so if I needed 1 or 2 things, I would buy from them for the testing service. I'll test it today with them because the strips I have are too basic, but will not buy anything. Thanks.

Making money is one thing, but so often the pool store personnel are *clueless* to actual chemistry. I can't count the times folks have been sold multiple products that negate each other.... toss 'em in and you still get bupkis.

Our goal is that you don't put anything in to your pool that you don't know what it is, what it does and why you need it. Then you are also able to test for it and see the desired result was met. No magic potions. Just basic chemicals like baking soda, borax, liquid chlorine....

Maddie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.