New inground radiant pool filling up

Bakerlebo

Apr 29, 2020
Long Island, NY
Hi, after what seems like forever, my new 12x20 oval Radiant is finally filling up with water. Though we won't be able to swim for a couple of weeks because the patio work is underway now, I will start up the pump and filter to keep the water somewhat clean while they are working. I have a Hayward super pump 700 and a Hayward EC65 Perflex DE filter and an online chlorinator. We also have an AquaComfort ACT750 hear pump which I won't start using yet.

I have read the ABS's of pool chemistry and I have my testing not ready to go. I just have a few questions.

1. Is my plan correct to not add chemicals to the water and just charge and run the filter a few hours a day while they work until we are ready to start using the pool?

2. I tested my house water just to get a baseline idea of the levels, so I'd know what chemicals to buy.
3. Is this the correct order for adjusting the water when I'm ready? First get the CYA to the proper level. Then TA, then PH. Then shock to get my chlorine level up and then start with my regular stabilizers chloine?

Thanks in advance.

No sireee bob! Get some CYA stabilizer in there and some liquid chlorine please. You do NOT want to be admiring your new *green* pool

Use PoolMath- (I like this version, or use the App) PoolMath

Put in either granular or the more costly liquid stabilizer CYA in there..... walk back and take sip off adult bev.... then add liquid chlorine to equal 5ppm of Free Chloriine (FC).
If using granular CYA put it in a sock and leave in skimmer basket with pump running 24/7 until totally dissolved. This is also helpful for all the dirt and dust construction kicks up.
Use Liquid Chlorine and pour it in in front of running water return, in thin stream.

Read your heater manual to see if it requires calcium or not.

You need to check pH next.... fix it with muriatic acid. TA is the last thing you worry about.

Read Pool School articles if you need more help adding chemicals...how to add them, what to add, etc.

Make sure you builder has set up the DE filter with DE

Holler back with questions :)

Maddie

Add chlorine and CYA when you turn on the pump. A few days without chlorine and the water will become a swamp very quickly, especially if construction dust and debris makes its way into the pool. With fresh fill water you have 0 CYA and 0 chlorine. Add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm as determined by the size of your pool. For your pool that would be about 1lb. You also need about 4 cups of 10% liquid chlorine. You need to test chlorine every day and keep it at 3ppm. Then check pH and keep it in the 7.2-7.8 range.

That's ok to use too, as long as you're aware it will need monitoring. You won't want too much, but I reckon with you being on LI, you'll lower your water level down and replace water yearly....so calcium shouldn't be too much of a build up problem. Just test for it now and then.

Maddie

A full pound bag of cal-hypo will raise the chlorine too high. A 1lb bag of 43% cal hypo will raise the FC level to 7.3 If you bought a stronger concentration it will raise chlorine even more. Once the cal-hypo bags are open they should be used and not clipped off to save for later. If you raise the CYA to 30, then 3ppm of FC is the max you need. A bag of cal-hypo is twice as much chlorine as you need. Since you would be below slam level it would be safe to swim in, but you are potentialy wasting money by dosing the pool so high. on a regular basis. You have a very small pool, and liquid chlorine is easier to give a precise dose.

Update:

So the pool builder's guy started up the pool chemicals in Tuesday without me there. I didn't realize he was going to do that. Anyway I didn't think he did a good job. I had to add CYA on Friday to get it up to 30 which it's close to now, but I may have to add more CYA. Will test again before doing so.

The problem is the FC is still up at 8.5 and it's not going down very quickly. I realized on Friday that he has already added pucks to the chlorinator a well. I removed them last night because I want the chlorine level to go down enough for us to be able to get a swim in today.

Also, my TA is way too high at 150 but my pH is at 7.5. I'm not concerned with the CH because it's a vinyl liner pool. Not sure if I should adjust the TA or not.

I still have to vacuum today and put the ladder in. But I need to go get a skim vac plate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don’t specifically adjust TA down, your pH will tend to rise anyway, so adjust it down to 7.4 when it gets to 8.0 with muriatic acid. Over time your TA should hit a point where pH stabilizes and you shouldn’t have to adjust as often (depending on your fill water TA, mine tends to raise TA after a fill).

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.