New Inground Pool - In Construction!

spenserj87

Silver Supporter
Apr 1, 2019
Roseville, CA
I had an earlier post regarding pool design questions, I'm past that and moving towards construction with a builder. I wanted to get feedback on the build before I sign the contract. We are now working with a builder that will do a SWG build. Here are the details:

Pool Size/Features:
26' x 18'
426 sq ft, 93' perimeter
3'6" to 6' depth
16,000 gallons
10' wide by 6.5' deep cabo shelf w/sleeve
Waterline tile
Micro Fusion/Gemstone finish
3 shear water features

Sta-Rite IntelliPro 3HP Pump 10-1663
Sta-Rite System 3 400 Sqft Cartridge Filter 05-254
IC40 SWGC
30amp Pentair Easy Touch sub panel
Screenlogic Com-30-2104

For lights, I'm still debating between a single 500w white light or four Glo-Brite lights (Amp-30-7003). Thoughts?

I can save $1362 if don't have them install their "standard" pool sweep with booster pump (Polaris 280). Seems wise to skip this and buy a robot.

Layout images below, some tweaking still required - pool decking has to tie into existing patio, working with a landscaper to figure that out.

Pool 2.jpgPool 1.jpgPool 3.jpg

pool decking has to tie into existing patio, working with a landscaper to figure that out.

Well... seeing how just 1 minute ago I replied to a thread where the PB set the pool 3" too low that needed to tie into a existing patio 6' away. I would suggest after figuring out what the elevation of pool needs to be, you ask the PB what tolerances he is comfortable with (hopefully he will say 1/8" ) and get it in writing that the pool will be set at elevation xyz +/- 1/8"

There have been several threads were this has happened.

Rich,

Looks good to me.. Make sure the EasyTouch comes with built in SWCG power supply.. You really don't need another box hanging on the wall..

Good job on going with a robot..

I have a simple white light and it works fine for me.. That said, I am not a party throwing kind of guy.. If you are, colored lights will have more wow... I, used up all of my wow, several years ago... :mrgreen:

You will love your new saltwater pool...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: thedeadliving5
Go with Pentair’s IntelliCenter, it’s their latest and greatest automation. About the same price as EasyTouch/Screen Logic. No reason not to.

Go with Pentair’s IntelliCenter, it’s their latest and greatest automation. About the same price as EasyTouch/Screen Logic. No reason not to.
My builder’s Pentair rep actively discourages Intellicenter use at this time, says its buggy and problematic. For whatever that’s worth.

Well... seeing how just 1 minute ago I replied to a thread where the PB set the pool 3" too low that needed to tie into a existing patio 6' away. I would suggest after figuring out what the elevation of pool needs to be, you ask the PB what tolerances he is comfortable with (hopefully he will say 1/8" ) and get it in writing that the pool will be set at elevation xyz +/- 1/8"

There have been several threads were this has happened.
My PB missed the elevations due to some confusion with him and the shotcrete team by almost 2.5", he ended up offering to pay half of the cost to have pavers installed on the patio to match up with the pool deck. Lucky me, not so much him :)

These are good comments, thanks for the feedback. IC40 power supply is in the EasyTouch panel.

I’ve pretty much decided to go with the fancy colored globrite lights, I just know I’ll regret it if I don’t. Need to keep party light mode a viable option o_O.

Any thoughts on Cabo shelf depth? Builder is suggesting 7” at entry sloped to 8”.

I'm sure most of you thought I'd never get started with this pool project. But, happy to say we are under construction. My prior thread was a few months ago and covered the details of the pool (size/equipment):

MOD note-I put the two threads together so the whole, wonderful story stays together. Kim TFP MOD

I'll focus this thread on actual construction and anything that changes. So far, it's been a good experience. Weather has been cooperative and should be clear for progress. Here are pictures of the dig, before and after, along with pictures of the water lines which were run today. They will come back tomorrow to run the lines and connect to the water source. They also have to run electrical conduit for the four pool lights. Hopefully shotcrete in a week or so. I also have a time-lapse of the dig - I can post if there is any interest. They used a conveyor system to deal with the narrow side yard. Very happy to be started, should be done in March.

Pool Day 1 Before.jpgPool Day 5 After Dig.jpgPool Day 6 Water Lines.jpgPool Equip Pad Plumbing.jpgPool View 1.jpgPool View 2.jpgPool View 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any thoughts on Cabo shelf depth? Builder is suggesting 7” at entry sloped to 8”.
What did you decide on this? I am sorry no one answered you. It is not too late to make it deeper if wanted. Do you want to sit on it with or without chairs or loungers? Where do you want the water to hit you when sitting on it? Remember water depth is hold way up the waterline tile and skimmer opening.

Kim:kim: (no problem with the move)

What did you decide on this? I am sorry no one answered you. It is not too late to make it deeper if wanted. Do you want to sit on it with or without chairs or loungers? Where do you want the water to hit you when sitting on it? Remember water depth is hold way up the waterline tile and skimmer opening.

Kim:kim: (no problem with the move)
The 7-8 slope is the decision so far. We do want a pair lounge chairs and we'll have an umbrella holder. Enough to put our feet in and splash around seems good.

Reactions: kimkats
Now you can really see the shape coming out!

Spenser, I hope there is some way you can be there when they shoot the shell. There have been many times when a PO caught a mistake (turned a beach entry into a step) or the crew had ideas or suggestions due their past builds. It is best YOU make the decisions for your pool if at all possible.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: spenserj87
Ok, so I'm a little late to the party but.... WOW! I love the back wall design of your pool. The three "sections" (for lack of better way to describe it) are quite novel. No cookie cutter pool for you.
Keep the pics coming!

Maddie :flower:

SWEET!! Have you started bonding with your pool yet? aka watering it! Watering New Gunite and Concrete - Further Reading

It is time for YOUR set of links:
Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.