New IG build - San Diego CA - plaster complete 2/24/2020!!

Wow! Wonderful progress! What are "stand offs?" :rolleyes: Did your PB say why they did not recommend the glass?
Did you choose between the two glass tiles and stacked stone combos? I LOVE the Essence glass tile!
We were talking to a company we got a bed from for tile and they said the same thing. Reasons include popping off, cracking and difficulty to clean. They do mainly refurbs so they see all the problems, not just the new product. I guess a lot has to do with how hard our water is here. I then read about them because I was really disappointed since my husband ixnayed the glass after that conversation. Some places said they were easier to clean. Then I started reading some old threads about them and decided I’m not going to put my future self thru that.

Wow! Wonderful progress! What are "stand offs?" :rolleyes: Did your PB say why they did not recommend the glass?
Did you choose between the two glass tiles and stacked stone combos? I LOVE the Essence glass tile!

He said that the drastic changes in temperature have a chance of cracking and breaking the glass tile. He said we could do It but he didn't recommend it. I loved the essence also but I think I'm going to have to go with the other tile.

Looks like they pressurized the plumbing!
20201109_161651.jpg

Reactions: Girija
PREETY tile!!

Now lets think about the grout color. White will make each tile stand out where gray will let them blend in a bit. BOTH are pretty. See if you can get your hands on some grout sticks to play with and see which color you like the best.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Oversize
He said that the drastic changes in temperature have a chance of cracking and breaking the glass tile.

While I like the tile you picked, this comment made me giggle... its freakin San Diego, the place with the least drastic temperature changes ever.
Brick.jpg

Hey JJ, It does seem crazy, but in some parts of San Diego County the extremes are, well, extreme. It is not uncommon to have 30+ degree temp swings where I live. For example, tonight will drop to 39 degrees and tomorrow's forecast is a high of 68 . . . Guess I'm calling the tile guy tomorrow to see what he has to say.

Looks great! Just a few comments. The palm tree may become a problem. We had a huge palm tree next to our pool (previous owners planted) and the roots began to lift the concrete away from the pool. We just resurfaced our pool and had to pay 1,000$ to get the tree removed.

also, we were told the same about glass tile but did it anyways. I love glass tile and wouldn’t have been happy with porcelain or stone. It’s only been a little over a month but no issues. I try to clean them at least once a week as my husband was against glass tile but I convinced him so he can’t be right! I’ve attached some photos for reference! Great looking pool so far but do what your heart desires when it comes to tile! You will be looking at it everyday. Plus installers have admitted to me they try to talk people out of it because they hate installing glass tile. It took our installer around 15 hours to install ours but I love it!

Attachments

• EAD079BF-20E9-4BF2-BDE4-CA718B667015.jpeg
    EAD079BF-20E9-4BF2-BDE4-CA718B667015.jpeg
    641.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 905E5112-F04A-4F90-9634-EBF45E091987.jpeg
    905E5112-F04A-4F90-9634-EBF45E091987.jpeg
    732 KB · Views: 74
  • Love
Reactions: Oversize and Girija
There is another thing about “glass tile” - looks like every other kitchen backsplash out there now! :)

Oops , did I say that out loud or was I just thinking it??
That’s why I like it! Looks like my backsplash, except mine is white and the pool will be blue. There’s a reason that subway tile has stood the test of time. It’s a classic design that people love.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well after some delays and hiccups with the inspectors not showing around the holidays I finally have shotcrete! These guys were quick got it done in half a day and looks amazing! I made sure to get them all lunch.

Guys said I only needed to water it once a day due to it being shaded but I'll still do twice a day to "bond" with it.

20201201_161138.jpg20201201_161113.jpg20201201_161057.jpg

Well after some delays and hiccups with the inspectors not showing around the holidays I finally have shotcrete! These guys were quick got it done in half a day and looks amazing! I made sure to get them all lunch.

Guys said I only needed to water it once a day due to it being shaded but I'll still do twice a day to "bond" with it.

View attachment 169941View attachment 169947View attachment 169948
To me, aside from the pool's completion, this is the most exciting stage because it actually looks like a real pool!!! Looks like the crew did GREAT work!!! So nice of you to get them lunch!
Our shotcrete was scheduled for 12/12, but we found out yesterday from our PB that his entire shotcrete crew has Covid :eek:

SWEET!!! Good looking pool there! Great job getting them lunch!

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

(EVERY one of the crew had C-19??? Poor things :()

Reactions: Oversize
To me, aside from the pool's completion, this is the most exciting stage because it actually looks like a real pool!!! Looks like the crew did GREAT work!!! So nice of you to get them lunch!
Our shotcrete was scheduled for 12/12, but we found out yesterday from our PB that his entire shotcrete crew has Covid :eek:

I agree it definitely feels like I have a pool now! The whole crew has covid!?! That is extremely unlucky. Hopefully everyone is ok and gets better.

Reactions: Girija
So it's been a while since an update here. The coping guy had a long delay and then with holidays things slowed down a lot. Not really a big deal as it's not exactly swimming weather.

Had a hiccup with the stacked stone that was going on the raised walla portions. The wrong tile showed up. However I ended up liking the wrong tile more then what I chose and went with it. I originally chose the solid light gray stone. However after speaking with some people they agreed that could look really plain being one big walk with no movement.
20201229_144655.jpg

Today the coping and tile got finished. Guys are coming back tomorrow just to do the ledge and step accents with the glass tile.

20210113_164855.jpg20210113_165014.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Casey and TexasRain

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.