New IG build - San Diego CA - plaster complete 2/24/2020!!

Oversize

Sep 23, 2020
Vista, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I guess it's time to start my own thread. I've been reading this forum for a few months now. I've always wanted a pool but didn't think I had the space because I needed a decent size yard for my dog to play. Finally found a way to make it work with an unused portion towards the front.

I signed contracts 9/15. The dig is scheduled for this Thursday 10/22.

It is a free form pool roughly 16'x24' so not the biggest pool but what I could make work. The little stick out section makes the length to about 32'.

No spa as I already have a free standing one on the deck.

Depth is 4' - 6.5'. I wanted to go deeper because I'm 6'8" but with how short the pool is I don't want too drastic of a depth change.

PB uses all pentair equipment and said it will be SWG.
-Pentair 4 by 120 variable speed pump
-pentair maxitemp heater 400k btu
-pentair clean and clear filter. 60 sq ft.
- he's gonna get back to me about automation

300sqft solar heater. My roof is southern facing so it's perfect for that. Wondering if larger of this would be better? So I don't have to use the gas heater.

There is a big slope so there will be a decent sized wall on the palm tree side. I've been discussing a grotto but I think it will be too close to my budget so probably just a couple of those sheer descent waterfalls along the wall.

Finish will be hydrazzo but I haven't picked out color yet.

For waterline tile I really want glass tile but I have seen some concerns with calcium build up? Any advice would be great.

I attached some rough drawings I did and will attach better plans later. The area will be fenced in for more privacy from the main road and the driveway easement.

The post is getting rather long so I will end it here. Thank you for looking and any advice would be great!20201004_192100.jpg20201019_204053.jpg20201019_205308.jpg20201019_205603.jpg

Last edited:
Oversize-
I think you've done well, considering you were working around that palm tree. Have you spoken to an arborist about potential damage to the roots of that palm?? (Do palms have spreading roots? I dunno??) I would just hate for you to shortchange the pool you really want based on a tree that might not survive the construction around it.

-Much too small a filter- the bigger the better..... fewer times it will need cleaning. You really can't go too big here....
-Good choice on SWG.
-I'm not familiar with that specific pump....someone else will be, I'm sure.
-No mention of lights??

Keep us posted with more pics, please??

Maddie :flower:

Wow, thats a tight fit. Will you have any sort of bubblers or water features?

From the pictures your yard appears to be a "peninsula" surround by roads on 3 sides. You may want to consider some sort of water feature for some noise if any of those roads have any amount of traffic.

From the research I did the palm tree roots are as wide as the palm fronds so I've been told I will be good. I hate getting rid of trees and already had to take down 2 to make this work.

For lights there will be two lights I'll have to ask which ones. He mentioned them being small lights and uses pentair products.

There will be 2 sheer descent waterfalls. It looks like two roads but one of the roads is lightly traveled, the other is far enough away and a dead end, and the closest one is just a shared easement drive way with only 3 other houses on it.

Wow! Your pool build is moving fast. You're very lucky. The design looks great. Nice job putting the pool in that overhead shot. I have the same concern about calcium build-up on glass tile. From what I've read, it will require a lot more brushing to keep it looking good. Who are you using for your solar roof heat? (You can let me know through pm)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got back from work today and saw some big progress. Rebar was put in. They aren't done yet. I did confirm with PB they will be adding the stand-offs between the dirt and the rebar. 20201103_174740.jpg20201103_174718.jpg

Reactions: Girija and Nikilyn
Got some updates! Rebar is done except one bench they didn't add. PB said they will add it before gunnite. Plumbing is currently going in and I went and looked at tile today. I was leaning towards glass tile but the PB did not recommend glass tile. So I split the difference and have some glass tile. Also chose the stacked stone for my large wall.

20201109_140033.jpg20201109_140052.jpg20201109_140111.jpg20201109_140123.jpg

Reactions: Girija
Wow! Wonderful progress! What are "stand offs?" :rolleyes: Did your PB say why they did not recommend the glass?
Did you choose between the two glass tiles and stacked stone combos? I LOVE the Essence glass tile!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.