New House old pump and filter

sbhuta

Apr 24, 2018
Phoenix/AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there,

We just a bought a house and I am trying to get familiar with the pool system. The first thing I need to tackle is the pool pump and the filter timing. I am attaching a picture of the box and would like to know what are there functions. In my current pool, I do not have multiple clocks or multiple timers on each clock so I am just wondering what's going on. Any insight would be helpful. Also, are the levers and switches at the right setting so the pump and filter run automatically.

Thank you,

Attachments

• Pool Pump.jpg
    Pool Pump.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 27
Your timer configuration is a typical system for a pressure-side vac setup. One timer for the filter pump. The second timer for the vac's booster pump. The booster can't be run when the main pump is off, so the timers work in sync, so that the booster pump can't receive power unless the main pump is as well.

It seems you now have a suction-side cleaner, which wouldn't use a booster pump. So it's possible your setup was converted from pressure-side cleaning to suction-side cleaning, exactly how mine was at one point.

Do you see a booster pump? Ever hear it running? Or any evidence that one was once there (like unused bolt's sticking out of the concrete or other tell-tale marks on the pad)? Can you confirm you have a suction-side cleaner now?

And of course it's possible that second timer is now being used for something else, but its label was never updated. Right now the second timer session is longer than the filter session. Which means either that timer's on-off set points slipped (they do that), or the timer is doing something other than running a vac, because the cleaner should run for less time than the filter pump, not more.

Some pic's of your pad would be helpful in resolving this mini-mystery.

Last edited:
Dirk, thanks but I lost you. Pictures attached.

My signature will be updated once I figure out what kind of pump is this and the rest.

Attachments

• pool pump 5.jpg
    pool pump 5.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 31
  • pool pump 3.jpg
    pool pump 3.jpg
    739.2 KB · Views: 32
  • pool pump pad 1.jpg
    pool pump pad 1.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 32
OK, well I don't see a booster pump. One of your pic's cuts off what we needed to see. What is connected to the valve that is just in front of the main pump (the pump closest to the filter)? And what connects to the other pump? We're looking for where your suction cleaner plumbing attaches. So maybe a few more pics of that area (in front of the pumps).

Do you know what the second pump is doing, the one farthest from the filter? Do you have any water features (fountains, or waterfalls). Or that pump could be part of the spa plumbing.

Each timer has a manual on-off lever. Have you ever turned on the right-hand timer manually, to see what comes on? The left hand timer should be controlling the main filter pump. You can confirm that by operating the timer's manual lever and observing the filter pump.

Have you observed the vac roaming around the bottom of the pool?

1. The dark colored instrument is for the spa
2. We do not have a vac but the pool has these small circular type instruments that come up and go down.
More pictures to come and responses to your questions

Sounds like you have an InFloor Cleaning System. Look around for a dome shaped item with several (possibly 6 or 7) pipes going into the ground from it.

1. The dark colored instrument is for the spa
2. We do not have a vac but the pool has these small circular type instruments that come up and go down.
More pictures to come and responses to your questions
1. Sorry, I don't know what "dark colored instrument" is referring to, or which/whose question that is answering.
2. Marty may be on to something regarding an in-floor cleaning system, which would explain the timer labeled "Time Clock F/ Cleaning System." But your signature lists a "Hayward AquaNaut 200" which google tells me is a suction-side cleaner. So that's where I got that idea from...

The corner unit which is square shaped is the spa unit.
My signature is for my previous home. I am still trying to figure out what’s my current system and how it works in the new home. Apologies for the confusion.

More pictures.

So my questions again:

1. Why do I have 2 timers and why the timers have 2 ons and 2 offs trippers?
2. How do they work?
3. Does my spa has any relation with the pool filters or these timers?

Attachments

• pool 10.jpg
    pool 10.jpg
    825.1 KB · Views: 12
  • pool 9.jpg
    pool 9.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 12
  • pool8.jpg
    pool8.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 12
  • pool 7.jpg
    pool 7.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 13
  • pool 6.jpg
    pool 6.jpg
    842.5 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you try flipping each timer on manually, to see what they do?

If the right one doesn't seem to do anything, turn the left one on first and then try the right one again.

Looks like you have an in-floor cleaning system, like Marty thought. That's that octopus of pipes coming out of the big round black gizmo. I don't know much about those. You definitely don't have a suction-side vac. Perhaps that second pump is for the cleaning system. If it comes on when you turn on the right-hand timer switch, and the floor jets activate, then you've got your answer.

You've got two sets of on-off trippers because whoever set this up has the main pump, and presumably the cleaner pump, doing their thing twice a day. I think the floor system and the main filter pump have to be both on at the same time. The cleaning heads push the dirt toward the main drain (and to some extent the skimmer) and then the filter pump sucks it all up.

The spa system has nothing to do with any of that. You don't have any actuators, or any automation. To enjoy your spa, you'd turn on the filter pump and the heater, manually. Then turn the two spa valves to direct the pump and heater to the spa.

Those two valves together have three functions:
- One directs the filter pump to circulate the main pool.
- Mode two circulates just the spa.
- Mode three circulates. both. It should push water into the spa so that it can overflow into the pool. Do you have a spillway from spa to pool? You need to run that once a day, at least, so that the pool water and spa water mix, so that your sanitation method can work on both bodies of water.

@mknauss, how'd I do?

Last edited:
Sounds reasonable. Usually systems with an IFCS have a zone in the spa too.

Some of those systems work well, most do not.

I would suspect the second pump is for the spa I would suspect. Probably some separate jets?

Thank you fellas. I will get back to you soon on what I learned from your notes and the current system how it works. I may have moe question.

@mknauss , what you mean by some of those systems work well, most do not?

Also, I am debating if I replace the sand filter to cartridge, just because, I am more familiar with Cartridge. Thoughts?

Search this forum. There a few with IFCS that like them. Many are finding ways to disable them and use a robot.
IFCS requires high pump rates to work. With the cost of electricity, many areas will not like the cost to run them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.