New house, green pool after salt conversion

Night time reading of 17.5 FC and 0 CC. I assume it’s normal to drop a couple FC throughout the day, especially in the California sun? I’d definitely consider the water clear at the moment, so I’ll probably kick my SWCG back on tomorrow and call it good.

My R0871 is running on fumes, so hopefully I’ll have enough for one more test tomorrow morning. Debating whether to just do a 5mL water sample and use 1ppm per drop, just to make sure I have enough. I do have more coming Wednesday, however.

You could do that, but if you are sure kit is arriving Wednesday, you should be fine.

Alright, just got done with the morning test. I did a full panel. I remember reading that the pH isn't accurate with the FC levels so high. Is that correct?

FC = 20.0
CC = 0.0
pH = 7.9
TA = 120
CH = 190
CYA = 50
Salt = 4200

Somehow, the water looks even better than yesterday!

If the pH number can be believed, I'll probably toss a bit of muriatic acid in to drop it. Besides pH, what should I tackle next? The CYA seems low for a SWCG pool (according to Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool), and the CH is low as well. I do have a bucket of calcium hardener on hand.

Attachments

• 8E31B609-F2C0-472E-852C-B96D9C35C44F.jpeg
    8E31B609-F2C0-472E-852C-B96D9C35C44F.jpeg
    629.3 KB · Views: 20
  • EC7BFDDA-7B46-42F2-813B-1C7A9DD31B22.jpeg
    EC7BFDDA-7B46-42F2-813B-1C7A9DD31B22.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 23
  • CCD02463-C815-435E-B903-DC4C0F97D690.jpeg
    CCD02463-C815-435E-B903-DC4C0F97D690.jpeg
    582.5 KB · Views: 23
CH = 190
If the pH number can be believed, I'll probably toss a bit of muriatic acid in to drop it. Besides pH, what should I tackle next? The CYA seems low for a SWCG pool (according to Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool), and the CH is low as well. I do have a bucket of calcium hardener on hand.
Yes you can definitely add some calcuim, be sure to use PoolMath to find out how much to add.

Do NOT add muriatic acid, with FC of 20, your PH is likely perfect if not slightly low! (do NOT add anything to raise it either)

Roger that, no touching pH yet!

Yes you can definitely add some calcuim, be sure to use PoolMath to find out how much to add.

PoolMath says 43lbs, wow. I thought my 25lb bucket I got was overkill. Guess I'll be taking a trip to the store!

Roger that, no touching pH yet!

PoolMath says 43lbs, wow. I thought my 25lb bucket I got was overkill. Guess I'll be taking a trip to the store!
Start with what you have, as you don't want (or need) to overshoot. You may find it's enough. You can also cal-hypo as an alternate chlorine source, which adds calcium too! (w/o stabilizer)

Well, we all took a swim yesterday and no one's eyeballs melted, so I think we're good to go as far as the SLAM goes!

I'm now slowly adjusting the CH now, at 5lbs/day. It was 225 this morning.
Once more R0871 arrives today, I'll take another FC/CC test and try to figure out when to kick on my SWCG, probably in the next day or so.

Now since I'm using an SWCG, should I be adjusting my CYA up from 50 to 70 or so?

Thanks to all on the help with the SLAM. The pool looks amazing! You guys rock.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.