New hot tub/spa supply form existing pool elecrrtic wiring

familytr33

Bronze Supporter
Apr 4, 2016
South East USA
Hi,

I've been offered a used hot tub in excellent condition. I plan to have have it moved professionally into a location about 50 ft from my existing pool pad.

Can I put some kind of junction box in from of my existing pool electric box to branch off electric wiring for the new hot tub?

Attached pic shows what I have right now.

Thanks,

b.

Attachments

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
F,

Keep in mind the most Hot tub/spas, required about 50 or 60 amps... I suspect your current pool breaker panel is wired for a lot less.. I would check that out before making any plans..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jhsparky82

Bronze Supporter
May 31, 2018
Appleton WI
Probably not. Without seeing what you have in there it's hard to tell. But more than likely, given your setup is similar to mine, you have a 20 or 30 amp 2 pole breaker dedicated for the pump, and a single pole breaker or two for receptacles. Most newer standalone hot tubs require a 240 volt, 60 amp feed. That would be a 6 AWG wire. You would probably have a 10 AWG wire in there tops.

Your best option is to find a panel with 2 open spaces, get a 2 pole 60 amp breaker, run a dedicated circuit to the hot tub. It will need a GFCI disconnect within sight of the unit, that's important.

I highly doubt your existing pool equipment has the electrical capacity to run a load like that, but with more info we could figure it out. What size breakers feed it? How many? If you have pics inside the enclosure that would help a lot.

CJadamec

TFP Expert
Apr 29, 2016
Quaker Hill, CT
A lot more information is needed to give you an honest answer. As the others have said though it's not likely you can power a spa of your current pool power panel.