New Homeowner with First Pool

mlphillips42

Apr 8, 2020
Green Bay, WI
I have just purchased a home and it has an IG concrete pool. I am very new to the pool game and have been reading up on pool school and in forums on here. I live in Wisconsin and it is not pool weather as of yet. However, I would like to get the pool up and running for the summer. I'm not sure what the previous owner has done for upkeep, but I see they have a Frog revitalizer system. I have read enough on here to know that I am going to get rid of that. The pool is full of water and I'm not sure where to go from here. Is my first step emptying some of the water to shock the pool? Any tips and pointers toward where to begin are greatly appreciated.

the CYA test was full before I couldn't see the black dot.
Does this mean you filled up the vial all the way to top before the dot disappeared...so CYA 20-30 ppm? If so, that's good. If the dot disappeared before you got to the lowest line...bad. How about pH? How's the water look?

Post results in this format...a bit easier to read.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Temp

Does this mean you filled up the vial all the way to top before the dot disappeared...so CYA 20-30 ppm? If so, that's good. If the dot disappeared before you got to the lowest line...bad. How about pH? How's the water look?

Post results in this format...a bit easier to read.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Temp
Yes, the vile was full before I couldn’t see the black dot anymore. The pH was between 7.8 and 8.2. The water looks a bit cloudy, even a little more when vacuuming. There are some leaves and dirt on the bottom. I will continue vacuuming the pool.
FC 0
CC 0 (I assume, my TC test came back 0)
pH 8.0
TA 280
CH 275
CYA <20
Temp (I need to get a thermometer for the pool). It is cold as the temp in WI has been in the 50s-60s for the last couple of weeks.

Add 10ppm worth of CYA if you are below 20. That means you can see the dot, though cloudy, with the vial full of the water sample.
Lower your pH to 7.2.

Follow the SLAM Process

No need to wait. Add the acid and circulate for 30 minutes and test pH. If in low 7's, add your liquid chlorine to get to SLAM level. Maintain that several times per day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Aerate you pool water as best you can. The pH will rise as your TA is in a good spot. How did you determine how much acid to use?

A CYA of 21 is not possible to measure. How did you get that result?

Round up and call it 30. Start your SLAM. Raise your FC to 12 ppm. Test and add liquid chlorine at least 3-4 times per day.

Refer to the FC/CYA Levels for your slam level giving your CYA. Use pool math to determine how much 10% bleach to achieve that FC level. Your goal is to maintain slam FC level, so check several times a day and add chlorine bleach as necessary. 3/4 gallon will only raise FC by 3.7 in a 20000 gallon pool.

Refer to the FC/CYA Levels for your slam level giving your CYA. Use pool math to determine how much 10% bleach to achieve that FC level. Your goal is to maintain slam FC level, so check several times a day and add chlorine bleach as necessary. 3/4 gallon will only raise FC by 3.7 in a 20000 gallon pool.
This is probably a dumb question but I want to be sure before adding more pool chlorine. I tested at 6 ppm for FC which was 12 drops to change back to clear, I have to add more chlorine to get to 12 ppm? Once it gets that high, how long before it becomes swimmable?

Yes. 12 drops = 6ppm and you need to do your best to maintain 12 ppm, 24/7. Its hard but the more you maintain it, the better it goes. You can swim up to or at SLAM level of 12 ppm. Over that is no good.

This morning I passed my SLAM. My overnight chlorine loss test was 0.0 ppm, 0.0 CC and water is clear. These are my results, should I adjust anything right away? Pool math is telling me I am outside of ideal range in all of my tests. Also, is it ok to heat and cover with my solar cover? Thanks again for your input.

FC 10.5 ppm
CC 0.0 ppm
pH 7.4
TA 90
CH 275
CYA 30
TEMP 69° F

I would leave the pool uncovered until the chlorine drops to 7ppm, but you can put on the solar cover at night to keep the heat in that you gain during the day. It shouldn't take long for the chlorine to drop and it is swimable now if you don't mind the chilly water!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.