New home with a pool

May 8, 2017
Bellmore, NY
Hello I'm new to the site and know nothing about pools but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eapecially with all the info on this site. I had the coping around the pool redone and the company also installed a swg. They have to come back for one final vacuum cleaning, add the salt and get it up and running. I ordered the tf100 today but just looking for a few pointers to get it right. Should the water have some sort of balance before the salt is added? I also read some threads about adding borax but can that be done after it's up and running or just do everything altogether?
thanks for the help

So the pool had the final cleaning today and my tf 100 also came in today so I tried it out.
I have a vinyl pool about 22k gallons. As far as I know pool hasn't wasn't open in 2 years so I think the pool company put in some shock or chlorine during the cleaning process.
This is the first time I ever tested but instructions were pretty straight forward.
Here's what I came up with
CL .5
BR 1
PH 8.2 or higher. It looked a little darker
CH 100
TA 60
CYA test did not turn the water cloudy at all as I filled to the top

pool guy said he can add the salt. Should I do anything before he does.
Thank you

Alright! So you have basically have fresh water right? Was it completely empty or just lowered for the tiles? It will help to confirm the condition of the water (new, cloudy, green, etc). Let us know please and we'll go from there. Thanks.

It wasn't emptied. It was vacuumed to waste 2 times and now it's back to the middle of the skimmer. Looks perfectly clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention. I have a sand filter with new sand that I've been running every day from 8am to 3pm

So you have two choices then:
1 - Increase CYA only to "30" and FC only to about 6-7 just so you can ensure the water has no algae or organics (sometimes clear) and perform an overnight (OCLT) test. That will rule-out algae so you have the green light to increase CYA even more for your SWG.
2 - Assume your water is algae-free and increase CYA to 70 now. While waiting for the salt to be added and dissolve, keep the FC elevated manually (regular bleach) until you crank-up the SWG and know for sure it's working and producing FC. When in doubt, always refer to the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below).

Your choice, although I might be inclined to do option 1 first just to know there's no chance of algae. Also (very important), get some muriatic acid in there ASAP and lower the pH to under 7.8. That's a big one. Hope that helps you out.

If thank you for all the help. Now here's another noob question when I have to add muriatic acit or chlorine to a vinyl pool what is the proper way of doing it. What part of pool? How much at one time? Leave pump running how long after you add?

For each item, pour slowly near the return jet(s). Whatever dosage you need to apply can be applied at once. Ensure to separate bleach and muriatic acid dosing by about 15-20 minutes to allow mixing with the pump on high. If needed, you can sweep/brush that area as well if water movement isn't that great. If you need to re-test that chemical, you should be able to do so in about 30 minutes.

Ok so i added shock and MA yesterday and checked after an hour and came up with
FC-4
PH- 7.8 so I added a little more ma and ran pump all night
it's raining here today but I did the full test again (is that a no no) and here's what I have
FC-3
CC-1
TC-4
PH-7.3
TA-50
CH-100
pool math says to add some baking soda for the TA and
I will buy stabilizer today. From what I've been reading I should do that with a sock tied in skimmer? Or hanging in front of skimmer? Depending if I shoot for 30 or 70 do I need to borrow Shaq's socks because it says anywhere from 80-200oz. Depending on 30 or 70

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome back. So let's clear-up a couple things to make sure what you're doing is efficient and not wasting money. A couple days have gone by since your past post, and now your CC is at 1 which is not good. You didn't post your CYA today, so I'm assuming it's still zero. So here's what you should do now:
1 - Increase CYA with stabilizer only to 30. Yes, use Shaq'a socks and either hang near a return jet or hang in front of the skimmer, or just sit the sock in the skimmer. Squeeze often to help to dissolve.
2 - Increase FC to "12" and use only regular bleach. Do not worry about any other testing or products at this point. Your #1 concern after adding the stabilizer is maintaining an FC of 12 and following all the steps on the SLAM page (link below).

After the SLAM is complete, we can help you with all the other adjustments. Have a nice weekend.

Oh, don't forget to update your signature so your info posts each time. :)

Checked again this morning and FC is at 5. CC is 0. Could I have done something wrong yesterday? CYA is at 25 and there's a little more stabilizer to be dissolved. Pool company is coming tomorrow to add the salt and he told me not to raise chlorine any more because it will damage the cell?

The FC will drop on its own during the SLAM period. It's important to test frequently and add bleach to maintain the FC of 12. The FC of 12 will not hurt the SWG cell. :) I can just about guarantee that your pool company will give you a whole different line of info and recommendations. Just be prepared. :blah:

Matsango--I want to encourage you to keep up with the SLAM and testing until you pass the OCLT-- and read about SLAM on this site if you haven't already-- As a newbie from last June I can say that using the TFP methods has been a great thing for our pool. We had a hard time moving into a new house with a messed up pool last June 2016, and the original SLAM took more than a week because we started with algae, but keep up with the process and you will have a crystal clear pool with few problems if you maintain and test as the expert people here have been sharing. I will add that originally it seemed like a lot and I was fairly overwhelmed with the process of SLAM and testing but it really does get easier if you read what they have to say about why the SLAM is important to see through to the end, and how to test properly. Now we were the only people on the block to open with a clear and algae-free pool early in the season! Thanks to TFP!

Ok so here's where I am now.
FC-3.5
CYA-35
PH-7.5
CH-75
TA-70
ill do the oclt test tonight. I will recheck fc when it's dark out and right before sun comes up again? Should pump be running during that time? It is off now
if all is good in the morning do I have the green light to add the salt or raise up the cya first

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.