Mission Viejo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Nightmare happened today. Moved into this place about 6 months ago and the pool wasn't heavily used. I was told to check the pressure valve in the bigger DE filter to see when it needs cleaning. Long story short, it gave false reading. Our vacuum stopped vacuuming and suction/release wasn't that strong. Had algae issues lately so we shocked the pool but circulation was bad. So I figured I would check the DE filter finally after watching a bunch of YouTube videos. Opened up and hit the nightmare jackpot! Learned from those videos on how to clean the thing. I was scooping up chunks of sludge! In the end it's now squeeky clean and added DE powder that was recommend by the filter label. If you moved into a house with a pool like myself check ALL your filters, even the small ones!

Attachments

• PXL_20210715_180325810.jpg
    PXL_20210715_180325810.jpg
    640.5 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20210715_180824391.jpg
    PXL_20210715_180824391.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20210715_183217255.jpg
    PXL_20210715_183217255.jpg
    644.6 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20210715_183649042~2.jpg
    PXL_20210715_183649042~2.jpg
    910 KB · Views: 48
We always say that nobody will care for your pool like yourself. That COMPLETELY includes the previous owners.

I wholeheartedly support a full tear down at any new residence, with or without concerns. Maybe you’ll be presently surprised at the well kept conditions. Maybe not. But at least you’ll have those answers.

My PB says it's better to backwash instead of breaking it down because opening it up will deteriorate the seal faster(?). From previous DE experience I always thought backwashing didn't fully get the DE and dirt out(maybe I didn't backwash long enough) and got better results breaking it down. This is our first year with a new IG pool with DE, and I've only backwashed twice with the new plaster dust. PB has me fearful about opening it up, another reason I'm not a big fan of them or the pool stores!

Any issues with opening it up to clean it or is backwashing enough? Obviously, at the end of the season I will open it up.

This is our first year with a new IG pool with DE, and I've only backwashed twice with the new plaster dust.
Starting new and knowing exactly what you have added to your pool certainly changes the equation. We were discussing ‘inheriting’ a possibly decades of mismanagement pool. :)
Any issues with opening it up to clean it or is backwashing enough? Obviously, at the end of the season I will open it up
No issues opening it at all. YouTube vids of you rmodel to really get a grip on how to specifically handle it. Your plan to fully inspect it at the end of the season is a good one, not seeing other issue sooner to warrant further diagnosing.

For example, I took my cartridges apart and stored the unit in the garage for winter. Come spring I knew it was all good and I could make it the whole season ok. (I broke it down and cleaned it fully after the pollen fell but that was ‘extra’ and my own doing, not because I *had* to).

Reactions: SecoSteve
Dont be fearful. I think it's good to learn the whole system yourself. I've read many nightmare reviews on Yelp regarding pool maintenance not cleaning out these filters, hence me checking myself. I know previous owner had pool guy but I HIGHLY doubt all that gunk was built only when we moved in. Pool guy or not, definitely check these filters. Watch a few different videos and you'll be good to go. Just take pictures as you remove things one by one to make sure you know how it was placed.

I did not SLAM it unfortunately. Went the shortcut route and got shocks this time. Was in panic honestly lol. But now I've done it, I understand way more about chlorine. Right amount of Chlorine is king!! Our pool cleared up all algae and cloudy water. My cc finally went to 2.5, after it being 1. So I realized I didn't have enough CYA. Adding them now slowly to raise the CYA and another check for cc after then I should be good. Slowly but surely learning!

@digiegg lets go over this.. I know exactly what your dealing with and it is all a firehose right now.. :)

CC does not have anything to do with CYA.. CC means you are killing things like algae in the pool water..

CYA and the amount of chlorine is king.. FC/CYA Levels, this tells us exactly how much chlorine to put in the pool to kill the algae and keep the pool safe.. We do not shock the pool.. SLAM Process

Lets slow down and get the SLAM going correctly..

What test kit are you using?
What are your levels?

Lets start a new thread just for you so we can get you going to a trouble free pool, How does that sound.. When you do just let me know like this @cowboycasey I will get over to your thread.. :)

Reactions: Newdude
So my FC dropped to 1.2 and my cc is at 0.2. I thought my CYA would help hold more but my CYA test came out to be 30. Found out my level needs to be at 60 at the least so I need to add 9 cups(4lbs) of CYA total to reach that according to the Taylor book. So I'll be adding 3 cups per day to raise the levels. Once that's at a good level, I'll see how much FC it can hold. Hopefully my FC will naturally hit 2-3 ish once CYA gets up there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep dosing FC with liquid in the meantime daily. Twice daily mid morning and mid afternoon (?) would be even better when possible. And run hot for now. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by having some insurance FC for now.

Reactions: digiegg
Finally got things to a good level! CYA is finally at 60 (wow it was missing a lot of CYA... Had to use the entire tub I bought) then I punched up FC to 4 using regular bleach. Now FC is at 4.0.
Pool's clearing up as well. Now I can SLAM the pool properly w/ all these settings and hopefully maintain cholorine better =)

For future reference a lower CYA means a lower FC SLAM target. It was already added the other day and too late for this round, but if it ever happens again, SLAM at the 30 and raise to 60 after. :)

Reactions: digiegg
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.